Honeymoon and First-time Cruise

sethmskinner

My fiancee and I have recently decided to go on a cruise for our honeymoon in late June. We're primarily looking at these two eastern Caribbean, Royal Caribbean cruises:

Oasis of the Seas: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/cruiseDetails/itinerary.do?packageCode=OA07E097&date=201406

Freedom of the Seas: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/cruiseDetails/itinerary.do?packageCode=FR07E100&date=201406

Neither of us have been on a cruise before, but we feel like these particular cruises are a good mix of the relaxation she wants and the "adventure" I want. Both cruises are 7 nights with 3 stops.

I'm hoping to get some answers from some of the experts here...here are a few questions that we've come up with:

1a. Having never been on a cruise, and being our honeymoon, is it worth the extra money to have a suite instead of a balcony? We'd probably be considering a Jr. Suite.

1b. We've heard from a few friends that they've been upgraded to suites from their balcony rooms since they were on their honeymoon. Is this common practice? What can honeymooners expect in terms of "surprise and delight" perks?

2. How do you get the best deal on a cruise? Some sites are offering the same price as the Royal Caribbean's website, but with on-board credits or some other perk. We're spending a lot of money so I want to make the most of it.

3. Do you have any advice or tips for first-time, honeymoon cruisers?

We honeymooned on Coral Princess in Alaska, and found the extra space of a mini-suite to be very useful for all of our camera gear (we're avid hobbyist photographers).

You can have your reservation marked as upgrade-eligible or not. You could also book your cruise as "guaranteed <level> or better". You need to decide if cabin placement/choice is essential to you, because any upgrade will not be in the same section as your original booking.

Use a travel agent to book your cruise, and they'll seek to find the best discounts and/or upgrade plans for you. Our newest TA called us a week after booking to inform us of a new promo, and that night she helped us (plus my folks) get moved to better cabins for the same price.

As far as the advice question, look over on the RCI board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83

for all the RCI info you will ever need.

If you look around the boards, you will find many discussions on where to book, and the results are mixed. Some swear by the "direct with the cruise line". Many others will say in many, but far from all cases, you can get some better benefits, or possibly discounts by booking thru a standard travel agent.

Know that we are not allowed to name or discuss travel agents on Cruise Critic.

Whether a suite or any other cabin, is "worth" the extra money is a totally personal, subjective opinion. My opinion may not come close to reflecting what anybody else's would. Only you can decide if it is worth it to you. The considerations are wide...some like the extra room, for example, others get the lowest price inside because "they are only in the room to sleep".

The upgrade policies and procedures of the cruise lines are closely guarded secrets. Maybe a few people have been able to talk their way into an upgrade for being on their honeymoon, but there are so many other variables...it would be hard to predict.

Edited by CruiserBruce

As far as the advice question, look over on the RCI board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83

for all the RCI info you will ever need.

If you look around the boards, you will find many discussions on where to book, and the results are mixed. Some swear by the "direct with the cruise line". Many others will say in many, but far from all cases, you can get some better benefits, or possibly discounts by booking thru a standard travel agent.

Know that we are not allowed to name or discuss travel agents on Cruise Critic.

Whether a suite or any other cabin, is "worth" the extra money is a totally personal, subjective opinion. My opinion may not come close to reflecting what anybody else's would. Only you can decide if it is worth it to you. The considerations are wide...some like the extra room, for example, others get the lowest price inside because "they are only in the room to sleep".

The upgrade policies and procedures of the cruise lines are closely guarded secrets. Maybe a few people have been able to talk their way into an upgrade for being on their honeymoon, but there are so many other variables...it would be hard to predict.

Thanks for the link...

...as far as your opinion on things, I guess that's what I'm asking for. I've never been on a cruise, so my personal opinion is worthless, which is why I'm asking for yours. How do you get the best deals on your cruises? What room do you usually pick and why?

Welcome to Cruise Critic Sethmskinner and Congrats on your wedding.

My wife and I were married on the Holland America Line's Noordam and then cruised to Europe on a 17-day Transatlantic. We booked a cruise for this special occasion and it was worth every dime.

There are a lot of great perks, plus the extra space is incredible. Most often when we cruise in a standard balcony we say as others do "Well, we don't really spend that much time in the cabin". That all changes when you have a suite, if you can afford it, go for it.

We have a suite booked for our upcoming Royal Caribbean cruise on the Explorer and there are many great perks, like early embarkation, roped off sections on the pool deck, special seating area in the Buffet restaurant, a Concierge Lounge with comp mixed drinks every night and snacks throughout the day, a Specialty Restaurant (Portofino's) for suite passengers to enjoy breakfast every morning, first dibs on Tender tickets to go ashore and lots of other things you find out at the RCCL website.

I always book through an online cruise booking website where I think you get the best deals, much more so than the cruise line. If you get on the mailing list for a certain lines they will send you special discount rates on specific cruises but, that's something for the near future once you get your feet wet and figure out which lines suit you and your wife.

As far as on board perks for married couples we may have received a bottle of wine or champagne but, most of the perks come from fellow passengers. Our fellow cruisers on the Roll Call were constantly bestowing us with bottles of Champagne and showering us with cocktail parties and gifts.

You will adore cruising it is the only way to travel. Consider a Mediterranean cruise if it's in your budget, the sights and countries are iconic and incredible to visit. The Caribbean is fun and relaxing, wherever you go will be wonderful.

Have fun and prepare to be addicted to cruising like the rest of us. Don't forget to join the Roll Call for whichever cruise you book.

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

IMO, I would go with a nicely located balcony and option not to be upgraded to a 'better' cabin and end up with a poor view or location. On a TA you would be spending more time in your cabin but in the Caribbean in June you will be living around the pool or off the ship 3 days.

Edited by Sherlock43031

Thanks for the link...

...as far as your opinion on things, I guess that's what I'm asking for. I've never been on a cruise, so my personal opinion is worthless, which is why I'm asking for yours. How do you get the best deals on your cruises? What room do you usually pick and why?

We use a TA we have used for about 15 years, and consistently received discounts and some other perks. Other than some serious (and getting worrisome) turnover issues, we are pretty happy with them.

We typically book a mid level suite (On Holland America-HAL- a SC or SB suite). This is at the direction of DW, who loves the various amenities provided, like free laundry, as we tend towards 15+ day cruises. Saves on packing. But we have also, in the past, had standard balcony cabins, and the Penthouse Suite. Never on an upgrade or upsell. We did an inside once, because we got an excellent deal on a last minute cruise. Never again.

Personally, I would recommend you start with a standard balcony cabin. But I don't know your budget. Yes, a honeymoon is special. We say we have been on our honeymoon for 28+ years. But we didn't start in a suite, because we couldn't afford it. Today, after many years of hard work, savings and investing, we can. Just my opinion.

That is what we book, how we book and why. But you need to read thru the many threads on cruise lines, and get some wide ranging feedback. You will learn lots more that way.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Acording to RCI's website they do not do anything special for honeymooners. They do have a registry here: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentWithHero.do?pagename=honeymoon_registry you can register and have your wedding guests buy you stuff for onboard instead of traditiona wedding gifts. So plan a few more bridal showers!

Find a good TA. Ours always gets, or beats any price deal we find online. Your TA will also be able to get you any honeymoon perks if available.

Our first cruise (also our honeymoon) we had a lower inside cabin. We were cruising Boston to Bermuda and weren't to sure about motion sickness. Don't want to spen your honeymoon worshiping the porcelin god! When we convinced our parents to join us for their first cruises they stayed in a prominade view cabin. Has a window to the royal promenade but is located mid ships and on a middle deck, so the movement is less than on an upper deck or fore/aft cabin. If you do go with an outside balcony try for a rear facing one. Twice the size, more private and protected from the weather during sailing.

Once we had a balcony, we never looked back! Now in a few weeks we are on the Norwegian Jade for an 11 day Med. cruise. Only one day at sea. So we won't be spending any time in our cabin so... no balcony. We chose the $500 savings on the cabin so we would have more money to spend on shore. Gonna miss the balcony, but we probably wouldn't spend much time on it so this time, it's not worth it. Plus we have 9 ports to visit, that's going to require a bit of extra cash. You have to remember that once you get on ship you can easily spend another $1000 on drinks, spa, specialty dining, shore excursions, etc... If you spend your whole budget on the cabin, while nice, the rest of the honeymoon won't be as good as it could be. We scrimped on our honeymoon, had $500 OBC and still had a shipboard bill of $750. Since then we always plan for that little (or big) bill at the end. If I have to take a downgrade in cabin to enjoy the whole cruise, I will. If you can afford it, stay in the owners suite!

1b. We've heard from a few friends that they've been upgraded to suites from their balcony rooms since they were on their honeymoon. Is this common practice? What can honeymooners expect in terms of "surprise and delight" perks?

There will be a lot of honeymooners on the ship. A lot. It would be nice to get an upgrade, but don't count on it.

Congratulations.

If you want something unique I would go with the Oasis of the Seas.

If this fits within your budget I would go with the Junior Suite but it is not necessary.

Ask friends or work colleagues who cruise for a recommendation for a Travel Agent.

Be sure that at the time of the booking that the cruise line is told you will be on your honeymoon.

A cruise is a wonderful idea.

I wish you congratulations and a lifetime of happiness.

Keith

We've heard from a few friends that they've been upgraded to suites from their balcony rooms since they were on their honeymoon. Is this common practice? What can honeymooners expect in terms of "surprise and delight" perks?

We were on Oasis of the Seas for our honeymoon/birthday cruise.. with about 100 other couples doing the same thing. There will be a party that you're invited to with some free champagne drinks and a cake, that's about it. Nothing spectacular as cruises are a popular spot for people celebrating special occasions. If you get an upgrade it will not be because of your honeymoon but just luck of the draw.

My fiancee and I have recently decided to go on a cruise for our honeymoon in late June. We're primarily looking at these two eastern Caribbean, Royal Caribbean cruises:

Oasis of the Seas: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/cruiseDetails/itinerary.do?packageCode=OA07E097&date=201406

Freedom of the Seas: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/cruiseDetails/itinerary.do?packageCode=FR07E100&date=201406

Neither of us have been on a cruise before, but we feel like these particular cruises are a good mix of the relaxation she wants and the "adventure" I want. Both cruises are 7 nights with 3 stops.

I'm hoping to get some answers from some of the experts here...here are a few questions that we've come up with:

1a. Having never been on a cruise, and being our honeymoon, is it worth the extra money to have a suite instead of a balcony? We'd probably be considering a Jr. Suite.

2. How do you get the best deal on a cruise? Some sites are offering the same price as the Royal Caribbean's website, but with on-board credits or some other perk. We're spending a lot of money so I want to make the most of it.

My DH and I did a b2b on the allure for our honeymoon. While the freedom is a fantastic ship especially for first timers the oasis is something special. It's your honeymoon go big! Some people may disagree with me here but in my opinion I would go with an ocean view balcony over a JS. It's spacious enough for two people and for my DH and I we were so amazed by the ship we really didn't spend all that much time in the cabin. Put the extra money that you were going to spend on a JS towards a speciality restaurant onboard. Giovanni's in Central Park is super romantic and the food and service is excellent. A great night on ur honeymoon! As far as surprises and perks not much will come you way sorry to tell you lol. Royal does offer a honeymoon party one night where they offer champagne and desserts for all honeymoon couples onboard. Upgrades are luck of the draw. As far as booking goes trust me when I tell you it's so much better to book yourself directly with royal caribbean! You can check prices everyday to see if they drop up until final payment and royal does offer onboard credits and reduced deposits during certain promotions. Keep checking their website for more info. It's super easy to manage your account thru the website as well. It's basically your folder for your trip which contains all info pertaining to payments, itinerary details, onboard reservations, shore excursions, transfers and more. My DH and I had a great time planning our honeymoon before boarding! A few tips-

If you choose the oasis- book all shows and dinner reservations before boarding to avoid wait lines and stand by lines once onboard. If choosing the freedom you can do everything right onboard no need to do ahead of time.

Only book shore excursions ahead of time if you feel that you will be heartbroken if they were to sell out once onboard. A beach break may sound great now but if the weather stinks that day most of the time the ship will still run the excursion with no offers for a refund.

Study the ships deck plans prior to sailing that way once onboard you feel comfortable not overwhelmed.

Look into drink packages of all types to see if any are worth it for you. Do the math first. It may sound like a great deal until you put numbers on paper.

If you choose oasis do my time dining it will allow you more flexability with all the entertainment options the ship has to offer. If you choice to do the freedom my time is not necessary but still convent. Main seating attracts families especially with smaller children and also senior cruisers while second seating is a lot more couples younger to middle aged and a lot less kids. You can "request" a table for two or opt to sit with a group of people. Really depends on your preference. If you def want a table for two you would be more likely to get that with my time dining.

Hope this helps a little bit! Would love to answer more questions for you! Have a great time planning!