Any Confirmation About Century Being Sold?

curtdesilets

I have heard talk about it being sold to a French Cruise Company about May 2015. But all my Google news searches still come up empty.

Is there truly a confirmation of this, or is it still just speculation? :confused:

See this thread from last week, you sort of have to follow it all the way through as there are references to an old press release and a new one.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1952592

I asked Celebrity Cruises about this and was told it was a rumor that "surfaced via a post on a French web site last week."

Thanks, that is welcome news. It did seem a bit fishy to me, and also that there was only one (French) website that mentioned it throughout the entire web universe.

It appears clear that CDF are acquiring Century for 2015.

An article by journalist Kevin Griffin reads:

"Last week Croisières de France announced that it would be acquiring Celebrity Cruises’ Century for the French market in 2015, both companies being Royal Caribbean brands. So this week we have a quick look at the French cruise market for any further prospects of growth."

It will join Horizon and Zenith.

It appears clear that CDF are acquiring Century for 2015.

An article by journalist Kevin Griffin reads:

"Last week Croisières de France announced that it would be acquiring Celebrity Cruises’ Century for the French market in 2015, both companies being Royal Caribbean brands. So this week we have a quick look at the French cruise market for any further prospects of growth."

It will join Horizon and Zenith.

I would agree Ian, why would they make up the story? We will be on the Century in 12 days, and then again in April, after the dry-dock.

After Celebrity gave up on the idea of the month long “Solsticization” dry-dock, and settled on a basic week long session, it pretty much told us it was up for sale.

I think the US based RCI was caught off guard when their European counterparts jumped the media gun?

Enjoy!

Kel:)

After Celebrity gave up on the idea of the month long “Solsticization” dry-dock, and settled on a basic week long session, it pretty much told us it was up for sale.

correct !!

I think the US based RCI was caught off guard when their European counterparts jumped the media gun?

Again, you're right. Somebody '' in the family'' misread the cue cards....either CDF issued the press release too early....or Celebrity is a bit late issueing their own.....RCCL has to be a bit embarrassed here and wondering if it would not have made better sense for RCCL itself to simply issue the official release to one and all that asset # xyz is being transferred from brand *a* to brand *b*....pretty simple, in my opinion.

After all, it's ''all in the family''.

Just wondering; where will the obligatory massive yard visit/drydock take place to refit/rejuvenate/overhaul CENTURY to CDF's market specifications....One of the Asian yards upon closing her 2014/2015 season deployment ?...The yard in Palermo ( where she went in 2006 for her massive modernization ) ?

I also wonder if there is an Asia-Europe via the Suez canal ''repo'' to Marseilles-CDF on the horizon spring 2015...after all, this how Solstice ''transited'' from Europe to Australia....

Enjoy!

Kel:)

You're spot on !

Cheers

Sorry, Century fans. We never had a chance to sail on her, so we don't know what we missed.

I have two thoughts about this development:

(1) Coming as this does well after the debut of the latest S-class ship, does this presage an announcement of another new build in the offing?

(2) Wouldn't it be nice if Celebrity copied this new idea mentioned in the link in post #9: "In addition, the French brand has announced a new shore excursion package, consisting of three to five excursions (itinerary dependent), priced at just 99 euro."

I have heard talk about it being sold to a French Cruise Company about May 2015. But all my Google news searches still come up empty.

Is there truly a confirmation of this, or is it still just speculation? :confused:

Hi Curt,

There's been no "official" confirmation as of yet. However, there have been reports in other media outlets of a move to CDF in 2015. Whether it's rumor or fact is anyone's guess, though I have a gut feeling that Century fans won't be happy with the final decision. Just the fact that Celebrity significantly downsized her upcomg drydock, was telling news IMO.

All we can do now, is wait to see what Celebrity has to say, if anything. Stay Tuned !

Edited by Host Andy