"Your time dining" - Not Necessarily

Lingalizzi

We were encouraged to select "your time dining" when we booked our cruise. We were told we could make reservations - which we found out on board that you can not. While it may work for some people, we had a group of 10 and it was a pain in the butt. When you get in line for YTD, unless it is between 5:45 and 6:30, you are more than likely to be in line for a pager. Once your pager goes off then you get in a line to be seated. Especially if you have a large group. We waited 90 min to 2 hours the first 3 nights and they split our table up once. Every day the staff sent "We are sorry for the wait" sweets to our room because of the long wait for a table (we had to tell them to stop because they were not so good and it was wasteful). So if you have a bigger group, you may want to reconsider. Every day we waited in line. It was annoying and not explained we'll in advance. The staff tried to be accommodating but this is not their fault, they don't encourage us to use YTD.

Extra note - if you are on the Splendor, YTD is in the Black Pearl which is at the front of the ship. The other set dining time is at the Gold Pearl which is at the back of the ship and you feel much more movement there. We also noticed the evening staff is much nicer than the brunch staff but overall they are all superb at what they do.

I wished that someone had told me this information in advance - I hope it helps you!!

Cheers!

Christina

Novice cruiser - can't wait for the next one!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I was skeptical about YTD when it came out, but people commenting on CC have mostly been happy with it, it seems -- so I was certainly proven wrong.

However, I'm not surprised that it would be a big problem with such a large group. I think anything you do with 10 people is going to be more difficult, whether you're trying to get seats in the shows or the MDR. Even so, I think they could do a lot better than 90 minutes!

We were encouraged to select "your time dining" when we booked our cruise. We were told we could make reservations - which we found out on board that you can not. While it may work for some people, we had a group of 10 and it was a pain in the butt. When you get in line for YTD, unless it is between 5:45 and 6:30, you are more than likely to be in line for a pager. Once your pager goes off then you get in a line to be seated. Especially if you have a large group. We waited 90 min to 2 hours the first 3 nights and they split our table up once. Every day the staff sent "We are sorry for the wait" sweets to our room because of the long wait for a table (we had to tell them to stop because they were not so good and it was wasteful). So if you have a bigger group, you may want to reconsider. Every day we waited in line. It was annoying and not explained we'll in advance. The staff tried to be accommodating but this is not their fault, they don't encourage us to use YTD.

Extra note - if you are on the Splendor, YTD is in the Black Pearl which is at the front of the ship. The other set dining time is at the Gold Pearl which is at the back of the ship and you feel much more movement there. We also noticed the evening staff is much nicer than the brunch staff but overall they are all superb at what they do.

I wished that someone had told me this information in advance - I hope it helps you!!

Cheers!

Christina

I think YTD is great....but not for large groups. You received some bad advice. Most of the people I have seen with a wait were those with larger groups. IMHO it is better to have a set dining time where you know you have a table and can plan on meeting together with a large group. We love YTD for our family or just the 2 of us. We rarely have a wait and it gives us the flexibility we love to eat when we want and with whom we want. With a larger group that flexibility does not work as well.

Cheers!

Christina

Hmm, this makes me nervous. We used YTD last cruise and never had a wait and loved the flexibility. So I of course chose it again for this cruise. However, we will be a group of 7 this time on the Splendor. May have to rethink this...

Sorry you had a problem with this. Just like a restaurant the large tables are few and there is usually a wait.

We do ATD when we are by ourselves and early when we are with a group.

FWIW other cruiselines allow reservations for ATD--Royal, NCL and HAL do. I'm sure others do as well.

Edited by SadieN

Depending on the port times, we choose early sitting, or Anytime Dining. If we have late port times, and want to experience port as late as possible, we do Anytime Dining. Otherwise, I prefer a set dining time, since I like to meet new people. However, we are either 2, 3 or 4 people.

We were encouraged to select "your time dining" when we booked our cruise.

That was a mistake. If you're more than 6 it's a problem, just like at any busy restaurant when a group of 10 shows up. The YTD isn't designed for large groups.

I didn't care for YTD myself. I felt like the waitstaff was just doing there job and they could care less if i was taking care of or not...they had my pre paid tips and that was it. i felt service was below what i'm use to.

Never again will I do YTD. We ended up seated at a 2 top, next to rows of other 2 tops, and still had to wait for others around just like we were at a 6 top. what's the point of having a table for 2 when you still have to wait and can hear the people next to you breathe.

No thanks, I'll go back to assigned dining times, get seated immediately and have a staff that at least pretends to act like they care about serving me and seeing me nightly. I know honestly they don't care, but at least I feel better about forking over $40 a night to them for pretending. :D

I didn't care for YTD myself. I felt like the waitstaff was just doing there job and they could care less if i was taking care of or not...they had my pre paid tips and that was it. i felt service was below what i'm use to.

Never again will I do YTD. We ended up seated at a 2 top, next to rows of other 2 tops, and still had to wait for others around just like we were at a 6 top. what's the point of having a table for 2 when you still have to wait and can hear the people next to you breathe.

No thanks, I'll go back to assigned dining times, get seated immediately and have a staff that at least pretends to act like they care about serving me and seeing me nightly. I know honestly they don't care, but at least I feel better about forking over $40 a night to them for pretending. :D

I couldn't agree with you more. We tried it on one of the 9 cruises we have been on and never again. I reiterate every point you made...

So that's why some here say that they had a long wait for any time.:mad:

Meh, my husband and I had anytime dining, went to the dining room three nights out of seven and had to wait for 45 min on two of those nights. So, no, that's not why in my case.:rolleyes:

for the people who are saying they dont want to do anytime dining because they want to meet new people, you can get a table with other folks in anytime dining. you just have to tell them when you get there. many people do this and meet many wonderful people and still have the flexibility of anytime dining.

We sailed with two other couples on the Lberty two months ago and the first night found a server we wanted to keep.

Made up with the hostess that we could come within a 15 minute window each night and keep the same table.

Surprised they didnt do that with you.

I'm glad you posted this because I'm traveling with a party of 9 in Feb and we decided on early dining with the kids but were tempted when I posted a question on here about going to YTD ( we've always done it and have never, ever had to wait for a table - upto 6 people at a time ) and so many people said even with big parties, they wouldn't have to wait much. We decided to stick with the early seating juuuuuust to be sure. Glad I did now. I realize every ship/experience is different but this would've made me nervous if I had changed it!

We sailed with two other couples on the Lberty two months ago and the first night found a server we wanted to keep.

Made up with the hostess that we could come within a 15 minute window each night and keep the same table.

Surprised they didnt do that with you.

We have had this same experience on two ships. There were only three of us though.

We have used YTD several times and have found the waitstaff treated us no different than if we had been at set dining.

We encountered this on the Breeze. There was a 4 top, 2 top and 2 top in a row. They were treated as if they were one table. On a couple of nights we could have been done 10-15 minutes sooner if we did not have to wait for one of the other tables to finish. I did tell Carnival about this when I filled out a survey after the cruise. It appears nothing has changed.

We were recently on the Legend. The YTD there is set up so each table gets serviced individually. We didn't have to wait for another table to finish to get served the next course.

When we find waitstaff we like in YTD, we request them when we go to the dining room. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 nights to find them.

Not sure what you mean by you forked over $40 a night for them to pretend????? I think that some of the crew genuinely enjoy meeting passengers that treat them with respect and talk to them like fellow human beings. Yes, it is a life that many of us can't imagine, but to them it is an opportunity to make money they never could in their own countries. I have found that the more I engage the staff in talking to them about their personal life, the more enjoyable the ship experience is.

A couple of years ago, we took a cruise to Hawaii. On day 4 of our trip, my MIL passed away back at home. Because we had been talking with a lot of the crew members, they were extremely kind the remainder of the trip is giving my husband their condolences and such. The Guest Services staff went way beyond what was expected of them and assisted us in making arrangements with the funeral home, etc., without it costing us a penny in long distance calls.

Assigned dining doesn't necessary work for everyone but it is something we always do. I like the way the staff interact with us and they learn very quickly our preferences (shrimp cocktail every night :p) which is something you can't get with YTD. There are pros and cons for both and it is just a personal choice on which you choose. I do agree with others here that the larger your party, the longer you will wait for seating just like in a regular brick and mortar restaurant.

The two of us did anytime dining in July on the Pride. Worked well for us as we found a server we liked and got a two top all but one night when we ate wit another couple we knew. First cruise did late seating which we liked and plan to do late seating on cruise to Alaska due to late sailings from port.

YTD isn't for us either. We cruise with multiple parties and it's hard to coordinate and sometimes you hang here or with those guys throughout the day etc. Sit down assigned dining is the one thing everyone pretty much plans to be at together. Altho our last service was not personal on our last two cruises, on the Triumph, we had impeccable service in 2011. I asked for hot tea one time the first night and every night when I sat down, tea was waiting for me and I never asked again. So there are advantages (or used to be perhaps) to assigned dining. Dinner together is a big draw for us so we plan our day around the assigned time. (Maybe only ports being the exception altho most of our all aboard times were early enough anyway...)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

I asked for hot tea one time the first night and every night when I sat down, tea was waiting for me and I never asked again. So there are advantages (or used to be perhaps) to assigned dining

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

If you ask for the same servers in anytime dining, you can get that same experience. When we were on Carnival, we had anytime dining, asked for the same waitstaff and after the first night, they knew us by name and had my kids soda brought to them once they sat down. they never had to ask. (I think having the tea there waiting for you could be an issue if you decide to go to the steakhouse or the lido deck. How would they know you were coming?)

I can see how YTD could be a big problem for a large group... there are a more limited number of tables.

We just cruised on the Liberty, and there were 4 of us using YTD. Only one night did we get a pager out of 7 nights. And that is because we were insistent that we sit in our favorite waiters area. So we waited for a table. But it was not a long wait, and we wondered the art gallery right outside the MDR. It was fun.