is being harrassed by a PVP normal? Even if we didn't have a PVP?

valentinebaby1

We took our first cruise on the Carnival Valor in October. Yes, admittedly we have been looking at Carnival's website for another cruise to book for next year, and I've probably been logged in on the site when I've been cruise searching.

We booked our first cruise through the website, no PVP or phone calls to Carnival, no travel agent...just us on the website. (After a lot of studying, and we were quite happy with our room and cruise selections).

So this week I've received an email from "my" PVP (name withheld). First of all, he addressed the email to Ken. My name is Kendra, not Ken. He said he is my PVP and to contact him when I'm ready to get started booking my next cruise. But then he went on to say he would continue to "reach out" to me if specials become available.

Then today my husband received a call, on his cell phone, from the same guy. He at least got hubby's name right.

Is this normal? I mean I've heard of people being harassed by their PVP before, but at least they had a PVP. We didn't, nor do we plan on having one.

Our first cruise was in 2010 and I booked thru the website. I guess I was assigned a PVP at that time. He used to call back then or when I was playing around looking at rates. My subsequent cruises have been booked directly thru the website. I don't get calls anymore but I did get an email from him the other day. Just don't see the point of using a PVP when I can do it myself. When I did want to make a change I just called the main number with no problem.

I've had repeated calls like that from NCL after viewing prices on their site. The woman called my cell several times and then finally emailed saying she was having a hard time getting in touch with me by phone. I emailed her back and told her 1) I was never going to answer her calls since she was calling from the U.S. to my cell phone and it would cost $$$ just to answer and 2) that I was just looking, settle down. ;)

She has respected my request and I haven't heard from her since. I guess you have to be persistent if you want new clients. But still.

We took our first cruise on the Carnival Valor in October. Yes, admittedly we have been looking at Carnival's website for another cruise to book for next year, and I've probably been logged in on the site when I've been cruise searching.

We booked our first cruise through the website, no PVP or phone calls to Carnival, no travel agent...just us on the website. (After a lot of studying, and we were quite happy with our room and cruise selections).

So this week I've received an email from "my" PVP (name withheld). First of all, he addressed the email to Ken. My name is Kendra, not Ken. He said he is my PVP and to contact him when I'm ready to get started booking my next cruise. But then he went on to say he would continue to "reach out" to me if specials become available.

Then today my husband received a call, on his cell phone, from the same guy. He at least got hubby's name right.

Is this normal? I mean I've heard of people being harassed by their PVP before, but at least they had a PVP. We didn't, nor do we plan on having one.

Two calls are harassment?

As soon as you login and look at cruises. They get an alert that your "shopping" and they have to follow up.

I just find it odd that we've been shopping on Carnival's site for the past year, booked in Jan 2013 and took our cruise in Oct 2013 and never once had a PVP contact us during that time. And we did plenty of shopping in those months for cruise #2.

Two calls are harassment?

Ok, maybe the word harassment is not accurate...but thanks for the input. That was very helpful...

I just felt that to be contacted twice in 2 days by someone who claims to be "our" PVP is bordering on harassment, especially to have someone call hubby during the work day, on his cell phone, when we don't have a PVP, nor did we want or need one.

I solved the problem by adding the carnival number they call from to a contact entry on my phone called "Spam Carnival" and assigning a "silent" ringtone to it. If they send me emails, I respond and ask them not to contact me, that I will contact carnival if I need assistance. Usually no more emails for about a year after that.

I've not looked at Carnival cruises since I took my last one in July. A couple of months ago they called me. I didn't realize it was them at the time and couldn't answer my phone as I was at a soccer meeting for my daughter's league that was starting up for the fall. He called back 1 minute later. I ignored the call again. 2 minutes later, the same number rang the phone. I picked up without saying hello and informed the caller that I was busy and they needed to stop calling and hung up. I found out it was him after I heard the voicemail he left after the first call.

The following week, same night, same place - I was at soccer practice - and it was nearly down to the same minute he'd called the week before, I got 3 calls in a row again. I did what a previous poster suggested and assigned a silent ringtone to the number. I've asked to not be contacted, but they do occasionally still call, though it's only been 1 call at a time since the 2nd time he called 3 calls in a row, just minutes apart. I don't know how to get them to stop calling.

Ok, maybe the word harassment is not accurate...but thanks for the input. That was very helpful...

I just felt that to be contacted twice in 2 days by someone who claims to be "our" PVP is bordering on harassment, especially to have someone call hubby during the work day, on his cell phone, when we don't have a PVP, nor did we want or need one.

No. I think you are right, using the word, harassment. If you want their assistance, you will call THEM!!! I am constantly on their website pricing out cruises. And for the longest time I would get a phone call every time shortly thereafter. I just sent it to voicemail. I would listen and delete it. This went on for WEEKS. Haven't had a call since. :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I solved the problem by adding the carnival number they call from to a contact entry on my phone called "Spam Carnival" and assigning a "silent" ringtone to it. .

They always call us from a blocked number.

It's really annoying. We have 2 cruises planned and they keep calling to sell us more.

I wonder what sets off the calls. There seems to be a regular amount of complaints about unwanted calls, so I know it happens.

We have cruised many Carnival cruises over many years and have never had a PVP call us. Have always booked on line except for three cruises that were group cruises. Same with e-mail's... hardly ever get the ones for sales, but we always get the e-mails for our up coming cruises and have received phone calls about our existing bookings (never an upsell call) asking if we had any questions.

I hear some good things about having a PVP and we have thought about asking for one, but then we see the complaints from some who want to get rid of theirs, so we never asked.

I don't consider myself a seasoned cruiser, but I have cruised 2 times both with Carnival. The first cruise I booked through a travel agent. The second I booked through a pvp. I have never felt harassed by her and she is extremely helpful. I booked my upcoming cruise through her. She found a great rate that was not published on the carnival website.

She told me that if you log in to carnival.com and search for cruises it sends an alert for a pvp to contact you.

I felt that I got better advice from her than I did the travel agent. She knows the ins and outs of the ships, she is professional, and promptly returns calls and always adresses any questions or concerns that I have. That is my experience for what it's worth. Happy cruising! Lisa

I wonder what sets off the calls. There seems to be a regular amount of complaints about unwanted calls, so I know it happens.

I'm wondering this too.

We took our first Carnival cruise several years ago and got about 3 e mails from a PVP which we ignored. Over the past few years we've gotten an e mail every week or so which we also ignore.

About 6 months ago we planned a cruise and got no calls or e mails.

3 months later planned another with no calls or e mails.

About 6 weeks ago started getting calls. :confused: Daily for a few weeks, now it's about once a week.

I have no idea what suddenly provoked this constant calling. :confused:

Valentinebaby, I'm on the Valor and January and just wanted to say I loved your review. Great job for a 1st timer :)

When you are looking online are you signed in? I know I've read that if you are signed into their website, they can tell you are shopping.

If not, what others have suggested is to replace or remove your phone # in your profile. This way they can't call you ;).

I have a great PVP and she doesn't contact me. She knows I'll call her when I'm ready.

Just the opposite...I've been on 5 Carnival cruises and regularly check their website for specials and prices on certain dates. Planning a cruise helps me pass the time between them :) I am also on NCL's website alot, and use their flash deal app. Whenever I get a flash deal I get on the website just to compare the prices to see if the flash deal really is a good deal (sometimes it isn't....). I have never been on an NCL cruise.

I have never been contacted by a Carnival PVP. Anytime I just THINK about getting on the NCL site I get a call from NCL George, My personal cruise consultant....

I live in South Florida and see the ads for these jobs - listed as telemarketing LOL...that is all they are

I personally have met people who worked for the various lines....I know a guy who worked for NCL who does not like cruises at all

While not strictly on commission they MUST meet quotas or they won't be there long

Once they have met quotas and stuck it out a year or so they are permitted to work mostly from home - which means if they are having a bad spell they may get more agressive

Some people here think these telemarketers are their "friends" or that the people who try to get you to spend more are a "fairy">>

I don't doubt that some people have found an experienced salesperson who helps them....but they can also be annoying

Call Carnival - ask for sales SUPERVISOR...AND STOP THE ANNOYING SALES CALLS

I use the same travel agent for years - as I sail with groups - and I never get bothered by these people haha

we took our first cruise on the carnival valor in october. Yes, admittedly we have been looking at carnival's website for another cruise to book for next year, and i've probably been logged in on the site when i've been cruise searching.

We booked our first cruise through the website, no pvp or phone calls to carnival, no travel agent...just us on the website. (after a lot of studying, and we were quite happy with our room and cruise selections).

So this week i've received an email from "my" pvp (name withheld). First of all, he addressed the email to ken. My name is kendra, not ken. He said he is my pvp and to contact him when i'm ready to get started booking my next cruise. But then he went on to say he would continue to "reach out" to me if specials become available.

Is this normal? I mean i've heard of people being harassed by their pvp before, but at least they had a pvp. We didn't, nor do we plan on having one.

after reading your note--i dont think you are being harassed. When bookings are made via computer-----they are always picked up by the pvp in the company----to give him credit--so what is wrong???? We always use our pvp--at carnival--like booking with a live voice---so--dont worry--just enjoy--he is trying to be efficient.. Irene and john--58 cruises on carnival

Tell them when you are ready to book a cruise you will call. Otherwise please dont call us.

Dont see what the big deal is over two calls.

for the longest time I would get a phone call every time shortly thereafter. I just sent it to voicemail. I would listen and delete it. This went on for WEEKS.

Wouldn't it be easier to pick up the phone and talk to the PVP? That way you can inform them what your calling preferences are. You can tell them not to call, or to give you a call back in 3 months when you're ready to plan, or that you will call when you're ready, etc. Having a civilized interaction may prove useful later on when you actually may need some help.

I know that some people think that they can do it all booking through a website, but I personally find the assistance of a PVP invaluable, even after having sailed on Carnival for 20 years and being Platinum.

PVP's are doing a job, which requires for them to try to stay in touch with guests. If you don't answer the phone, their system prompts them to call you again until they can change the status on your profile to "contacted".

Not answering the call doesn't do anybody any favors. You feel harassed, the PVP is wasting time on you, you're wasting your time deleting messages, etc.