airport security

It depends on the airport and what the alert (orange, red etc...) is at the time you leave. If you have anything metal on to set off the alarm you will be searched and your bag probably too. When I flew recently I didn't see many people getting deeply searched like they did it 2 years ago.

They always x-ray every single bag that is "checked luggage". They also have a certain number that they open and search regardless as well as anything that comes up with something in the x-ray as well. If they search your bag they have to put a note in there from the TSA that it was searched. It really is no big deal, it isn't even something you should be questioning really. Why does it matter?

i have traveled approx 4 times in the last 2 years. i feel searching is random. once our family (myself dh and 2 young kids) were pulled aside and sesarched(patted down) while others went by us. never had our bags searched. they will flag your boarding pass if they have any questions with your id and you will be searched definately.

I flew a couple of weeks ago. All of my checked luggage went through scanners as soon as I dropped them off. My carry on was not searched but went through the scanners. I did see them pulling people out at random. There seems to be no rule as to who gets selected to be searched.

I just got home from a trip, and they didn't like what they saw in my PURSE. They kept asking, what could that be (in the x-ray picture)? I guessed, cell phone, they said no, I said calculator, they made me pull out the calculator, they inspected it, asked me if it was mine, how long had I had it, had I bought it myself or had someone given it to me.........They really wanted to be sure that I wasn't carrying explosives that were in some sort of electrical appliance.

In other words, YES, they are being careful and questioning ANYTHING that looks even vaguely suspicious.

If you are thinking of doing something stupid, and pushing the limits, DON'T DO IT.

Carol

I've had one checked bag searched. (The note from the TSA was inside) I've been pulled out of line for a random search twice. No big deal. I realize it's for the safety of everyone and just go with the flow. I also had the contents of my purse closely checked. I had an eyeglass repair kit in it that looked like a nail. (tiny little screwdriver) Still, no problem. They opened it, laughed and let me go WITH my repair kit.

Every airport is set up different, you would think FAA regulations would require them to be the same! :confused:

Here in Phx. you have to take off your shoes, belts and anything metal. You put everything in a plastic bin, then you walk through the "mag" that will detect any metal on your person. In my DH's case he has an atrifical hip and rings every time! :D Then he has to be "screened and wanded" until they are satisified he is not carring anything that is a no-no.

Then it never fails he makes it through that process they will select him at random to search through the bags that were just X rayed. IN the mean time I'm standing off to the side with all his stuff. They will ask permission to go through your bag while you are watching, and since I pack everything and they ask whats in here.....he has no clue. :eek: About 30 minutes later we are on our way to our gate......because of this we arrive at the airport about 3 hours early!!!!! :eek: Oh it's a lovely process, sure he grumbles when he tries to put his shoes back on and doesn't have his shoe horn and is having difficulty bending over with his arthritus.....but it's necessary and we have no complaints about it. ;)

Oh, another time....................

This was four years ago, BEFORE "9/11". I was leading a group of students abroad on an educational trip, and EVERYONE'S bags (except mine????) were flagged to be opened and inspected by hand. TWENTY FIVE BAGS - they took the kids into a private room, had each one identify his or her bag, then went through it while s/he stood there.

Later on, I asked several airport people what they thought was the reason for this particular search (no one would tell me at the time), and the general consensus was that it had to do with our ticketing. We were flying non-stop from Newark to Rome, on Continental, but back on SwissAir, through Zurich. That made our Continental tickets look like one-way bookings????? so we looked suspicious????? The fact that we were teacher + teenage students, all holding U.S. Passports, and looking about as white-bread as they come, had no bearing on the action.

Carol

Securities varies from airport to airport and even sometimes within an airport. As an earlier poster says, sometimes I have to remove my sneakers and other times I do not.

You can be selected for additional search because they "see" something or randomly. Even non-metal items can cause your carry on to be searched carry-on. For example last fall, they searched my carry-on because of a crystal piece I had bought in Grand Cayman..

I travel on business once or twice a month. As other have said, it varies by airport a great deal and also on the current situation. At this point it will be quite heavy. The larger airlines have a random search option on check in and it may add an indicator on the boarding pass to put you though a search. All checked luggage is checked and random checks are made on carry on. I was in SF and Chicago last week and saw lots of checks on carry on luggage. The best answer is don't try and take anything you should not through and you don't have anything to worry about.

Once we were on a cruise and had an emergency and had to fly home from San Juan. We had our TA purchase our tix for us and got them electronically. Since we purchased them one way, same day as sailing, they checked us with a fine toothed comb. This was August '02, almost one year after 9/11.

We are personally GLAD they check closely. Even if it is us.

Tim & Crystal

After our cruise on the Navigator, we checked our luggage in at the AA luggage check-in right next to our terminal so we wouldn't have to lug all those bags to the airport.

All of our bags were opened an inspected at the AA terminal while we watched. They were opening up quite a number of bags which seemed to be ramdomly chosen. We didn't at all look any different than any other family of 5.

Once we were on a cruise and had an emergency and had to fly home from San Juan. We had our TA purchase our tix for us and got them electronically. Since we purchased them one way, same day as sailing, they checked us with a fine toothed comb. This was August '02, almost one year after 9/11.

We are personally GLAD they check closely. Even if it is us.

Tim & Crystal

We had the same experience in March when we had to fly home early from Cozumel. Airport security had us open all our bags, and they went through them quite thoroughly. I would say the whole process took about 15 minutes.

I think in our case, they were probably looking for drugs. :eek: We had last-minute, one way tickets from Cozumel to Houston.

We did have checked baggage opened this summer (TSA locks), and consistently have to remove our shoes, jackets, etc. regardless of airport.

I don't mind the inconvenience, especially considering everything going on in the world today. :(

Archived