Muster Drill Safety!

TonyE

I think the OP is confused. NCL used to require you bring your life jacket with you to the muster drill. That has changed. BUT, the staff demonstrates this at the muster drill.

100% guarantee that life jackets were addressed in the stateroom via the TV AND at the muster drill.

I think the OP is confused. NCL used to require you bring your life jacket with you to the muster drill. That has changed. BUT, the staff demonstrates this at the muster drill.

100% guarantee that life jackets were addressed in the stateroom via the TV AND at the muster drill.

Agree!

Worst muster drill I ever attended was on Carnival. Attendance was not taken, people were chatting with each other and using cell phones, some brought food with them and it seemed like almost everyone was enjoying some sort of beverage. The attention level seemed to be zero.

Life Jacket

My understanding is that SOLAS Chapter III, Regulation 19, 2.2 states

that:

“On a ship engaged on a voyage where passengers are scheduled to be on board for more than 24 hours, musters of all passengers shall take place within 24 ours after their embarkation. Passengers shall be instructed in the use of the lifejackets and action to take in emergency.”

At our muster drill on the Norwegian Dawn in the Venetian Restaurant on the 1st December 2013 no “instruction in the use of lifejackets” was given. As this is an infringement of Solas regulations can they be prosecuted / punished in some way. If so does anyone know how?

I think you should go to your nearest Coast Gaurd Station and report it to them personally. :rolleyes: I am sure they can take the appropriate action!

Guess you weren't paying attention like you should have been. I get so frustrated with people who talk, take pictures, and use their cell phones/smartphones during the muster drill, then complain that they didn't see, hear, or learn anything.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

TonyE , its very simple ..

Blow whistle and wave arms in the air. jump over the side of ship holding life jacket high over your head . When you hit the water pull down on the tab . lastly give to person next to you .

Easy Peasy ;)

Begin by drafting your complaint to the appropriate admiralty court for your jurisdiction. Most maritime courts require all documents submitted be prepared in a classic ode format. A classic ode is structured in three major parts: the strophe, the antistrophe, and the epode. Remember that a haiku is patently unacceptable and will likely see your case dismissed without prejudice, or at the very least, have you laughed out of court entirely.

Good luck!

Now see on my 3 previous cruises, not once was I given instructions on how to do the above. How do I get someone in trouble for not instructing that! :eek: And will it work with anything other than Coke and whatever that closest bottle is, maybe wine bottles?

Kind of brings back "you know you are a redneck when..." :D

You made my day - thanks

Life Jacket

My understanding is that SOLAS Chapter III, Regulation 19, 2.2 states

that:

“On a ship engaged on a voyage where passengers are scheduled to be on board for more than 24 hours, musters of all passengers shall take place within 24 ours after their embarkation. Passengers shall be instructed in the use of the lifejackets and action to take in emergency.”

At our muster drill on the Norwegian Dawn in the Venetian Restaurant on the 1st December 2013 no “instruction in the use of lifejackets” was given. As this is an infringement of Solas regulations can they be prosecuted / punished in some way. If so does anyone know how?

Let me see if I got this right...

You know enough to look up, read, understand, copy, and paste SOLAS Regulations, but you need to ask US how they are enforced? :confused: Isn't that also outlined in the very regulations that you so diligently quoted??

Don't worry so much about the life jacket. If anything, invest in a good hardhat. You wouldn't want to bump your head on the underside of the bridge.

You know enough to look up, read, understand, copy, and paste SOLAS Regulations, but you need to ask US how they are enforced? :confused: Isn't that also outlined in the very regulations that you so diligently quoted??

Don't worry so much about the life jacket. If anything, invest in a good hardhat. You wouldn't want to bump your head on the underside of the bridge.

ROFL! Good thing I didn't have a mouth full of coffee.:)

Come on, do not let facts get in the way of perfectly good opportunity to whine about something publicly.. :D

I think you should go to your nearest Coast Gaurd Station and report it to them personally.

Yes, in fact this is the proper protocol.

Report in person to your nearest coast guard station. Ask to file form ID-10-T.

If you are more than 50 miles from the Coast Guard, any military branch will be able to take the report and send it along.

They will get the particulars and open an investigation.

Please keep us posted as to the outcome.

For the benefit of the NCL fan club, who seem to think that the sun shines out of the blunt end of any NCL ship, along with those commentators who were not even there but seem to know better, and the avoidance of any doubt, we were there the whole time during this shambolic drill, paying attention. No demonstration was given. I actually felt quite sorry for the guy with the microphone as he looked scared to death and had probably been thrown in at the deep end. At the end we asked about it and his answer was it's on TV.

Fortunately the **** didn't hit the fan or else this could have cost lives. In a emergency there would be enough chaos without this.

If NCL can't be bothered with the fundamentals of basic safety and even get this right why should I expect them to be bothered about much else. As was clearly demonstrated throughout the cruise.

:mad:

For the benefit of the NCL fan club, who seem to think that the sun shines out of the blunt end of any NCL ship, along with those commentators who were not even there but seem to know better, and the avoidance of any doubt, we were there the whole time during this shambolic drill, paying attention. No demonstration was given. I actually felt quite sorry for the guy with the microphone as he looked scared to death and had probably been thrown in at the deep end. At the end we asked about it and his answer was it's on TV.

Fortunately the **** didn't hit the fan or else this could have cost lives. In a emergency there would be enough chaos without this.

If NCL can't be bothered with the fundamentals of basic safety and even get this right why should I expect them to be bothered about much else. As was clearly demonstrated throughout the cruise.

If you are so sure, than I would suggest that you file a suit. Let the courts decide. You should also include in the suit the other items that you are asking for the $836.27 (your bill for 7 hours and 28 minutes you feel were lost) reimbursement; it will make it easier to lump them all together.

BTW, please suggest that the courts look at cruise critic and your thread - it might help your case.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I'm glad you included the pouty-face. It suits you exactly. You've already been clued in on the proper protocol for reporting -- so do it. Stop being a baby. Your "i'll-show-them" attitude belongs on the playground and begs the question...what is it you hope to accomplish here?

By the way, your account is not in alignment with the experience of other posters in this thread. You don't get to dictate how others respond to you and its none of your business what they believe shines out of anything.

SOLAS says there has to be a muster within 24 hours and that passengers have to be instructed to use the lifejackets- it does not say that these two events have to happen at the same time. Playing the instructional video on the TV system likely satisfies the laws requirements.

From late 2009 and early 2010, OP complained about Celebrity and the Celebrity CC board. See below. Just our turn now over here on the NCL board.

post_old.gif December 19th, 2009, 04:08 AM

TonyE user_online.gif

Cool Cruiser

icon1.gifDoes anyone have Richard D Fain Email Address?

After waiting 4 hours in the cruise terminals 2nd floor cattle shed in order to board Celebrity Equinox on 12/4/9 I want to email the man. It was a totally unacceptable. What are they going to do about it.

AND

January 16th, 2010, 12:40 PM

TonyE user_online.gif

Cool Cruiser

icon1.gifIn Celebrities Pocket?

Lets get it straight I was on a package with Celebrity, including night in Hotel before boarding. We had to be in Hotel lobby by 10:30 wth luggage. It was absolute mayhem. Bodies and luggage everywhere. It was 14:30 by the time we boarded.

I find this unacceptable and will therefore complain about it.

Are some people on this forum in Celbrities pocket? Making excuses for them. If ICE caused the Problem then Celbrity needs to be complaining to ICE and do something about it.

As to emails to Celebrity with a 48 hour turnaround I'm on my 3rd email and still awaiting for any turnaround.

Good companies actually encourage and listen to complaints. It's a way to get better. As a matter of fact when I finally track this geezer down I've the names of two crew members who I want to praise to him. I was actually very impressed with everthing else on the cruise but because I care about this Company I'm prepared to take the trouble to complain.

I also note that my original complaint has disappeared off this forum. Yet something else that makes me think this forum lacks a critical bias.

From late 2009 and early 2010, OP complained about Celebrity and the Celebrity CC board. See below. Just our turn now over here on the NCL board.

post_old.gif December 19th, 2009, 04:08 AM

TonyE user_online.gif

Cool Cruiser

icon1.gifDoes anyone have Richard D Fain Email Address?

After waiting 4 hours in the cruise terminals 2nd floor cattle shed in order to board Celebrity Equinox on 12/4/9 I want to email the man. It was a totally unacceptable. What are they going to do about it.

AND

January 16th, 2010, 12:40 PM

TonyE user_online.gif

Cool Cruiser

icon1.gifIn Celebrities Pocket?

Lets get it straight I was on a package with Celebrity, including night in Hotel before boarding. We had to be in Hotel lobby by 10:30 wth luggage. It was absolute mayhem. Bodies and luggage everywhere. It was 14:30 by the time we boarded.

I find this unacceptable and will therefore complain about it.

Are some people on this forum in Celbrities pocket? Making excuses for them. If ICE caused the Problem then Celbrity needs to be complaining to ICE and do something about it.

As to emails to Celebrity with a 48 hour turnaround I'm on my 3rd email and still awaiting for any turnaround.

Good companies actually encourage and listen to complaints. It's a way to get better. As a matter of fact when I finally track this geezer down I've the names of two crew members who I want to praise to him. I was actually very impressed with everthing else on the cruise but because I care about this Company I'm prepared to take the trouble to complain.

I also note that my original complaint has disappeared off this forum. Yet something else that makes me think this forum lacks a critical bias.

I certainly hope that the OP finds a cruise line that he likes (and will do everything perfect in his estimation) and that he doesn't feel that those that have a different opinion on that cruise line are either cheerleaders or in the cruise lines pocket. Good luck to TonyE.