Feedback on Snorkelling in Labadee

dee21

we are sailing in March and having a look at some of the things to do in Labadee. Our boys (16 & 20) would like to snorkel so we are looking at a couple of those excursions and there are mixed reviews--not many fish, coral was so so etc. If it is good then we will do it for sure, but just wondering if we would be better to just rent some gear and do it on our own along the shore--anyone have any luck with that??

I'm also thinking that we should have time to do a couple excursions? will that be a problem? thinking of the jet skis too--so can you book a certain time? hoping to do one before lunch and one after.

sorry for all the questions--ANY Labadee help and feedback would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance :)

we are sailing in March and having a look at some of the things to do in Labadee. Our boys (16 & 20) would like to snorkel so we are looking at a couple of those excursions and there are mixed reviews--not many fish, coral was so so etc. If it is good then we will do it for sure, but just wondering if we would be better to just rent some gear and do it on our own along the shore--anyone have any luck with that??

I'm also thinking that we should have time to do a couple excursions? will that be a problem? thinking of the jet skis too--so can you book a certain time? hoping to do one before lunch and one after.

sorry for all the questions--ANY Labadee help and feedback would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance :)

I take my snorkel gear with me whenever I cruise and do snorkel on my own. I generally always book a snorkel excursion, ALSO because I have found that they take you to an area that they know has lots of things to see and as long as the water is fairly clear, it is wonderful.

We did a snorkel excursion in Labadee last year and were disappointed. Water was not clear, not much to see at all, too many people on the excursion. We've had much better snorkling just walking off the beach in Coco Cay.

So is there a place on Labadee to rent snorkel gear to do it ourself? anyone know the price and is there a beach in walking distance? sorry--never been there

Not sure about snorkel gear rental. They certainly have snorkel gear because they have snorkel excursions, I just don't know if the gear is available outside of an excursion.

There are several beaches within walking distance.

Have tried snorkeling their, and it is not good. On the bay side, you are very limited in area if you stay on the beaches they control. Not sure how far you can go out on the other side. They used to list snorkel gear as an excursion at some places. If you cant find it on a labaedee excursion i would guess they stopped that in that port. I would say try and snorkel at some other port.

There is no transport to other beaches, and the Labadee beaches are too cloudy to be of interest. the sand is in the water, maybe since they dredged for the big ships, but always cloudy when I have been there over several cruises. not worth lugging snorkel gear - been there done that, and wished I did not bother!

Snorkeling is never very good at the volcanic islands. Sediment washes down the mountains making the surrounding waters cloudy. The best snorkeling and diving are around the low-lying coral islands, such as the Bahamas, Cayman, etc.

There actually is good snorkeling out under the zipline, but when I got out that far I had a safety officer on a paddle board tell me to swim closer.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I came to post the same thing. I pack swim goggles for the family on every excursion in case the chance for a swim arises. On the north beach (I think) out closer to the break wall, there is some very nice coral and, I schooled with some fish and wandered too far out. Due to the salt content in the water, decent swimmers can swim forever. If not so good, rent a mat (or even better, pack some dollar store floaties to blow up) and float over the area. Way cheaper than an excursion and you get to do it on your own time.

The snorkeling is OK in Labadee -- not as great as some other stops (Mexico) but certainly not the worst. We always bring our own gear. You can see photos in my photo review in my signature.

Edited by efields2

• 2 months later...

I haven't been to Labadee in a couple years, and we've admittedly never spent much time on the zip line side, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone swimming off Adrenaline Beach. I assume from these comments it is in fact allowed? My husband has snorkel gear and will probably want to see what he can find. Sounds like from these comments the north side is his best bet. Do they have an area roped off? Are there lifeguards? Just wondering about the swimming situation.

We did a snorkel excursion in Labadee last year and were disappointed. Water was not clear, not much to see at all, too many people on the excursion. We've had much better snorkling just walking off the beach in Coco Cay.

I agree. Coco Cay is much better for snorkeling. I didnt think there was all that much to see at Labadee while Coco Cay was swarming with fish the day I was there

Spent a few hours in Labadee as part of our cruise aboard Celebrity Silhouette. As many have mentioned in previous posts snorkeling is not the best here. Best area from what I saw was off the beach under the zip line but I was told not to swim there.

Edited by DanAnna