What is the currency conversion fee at shipboard ATMs?

mary_228

I read on the website that there will be a fee, but the amount is not listed. The banking regulations in the countries I am visiting limit the amount that can be withdrawn to rather small amounts and the fee is about $5 per transaction. I would like to compare that to the fee charged by Celebrity's bank. Also, does anyone know if the shipboard ATM's have a maximum withdrawal per transaction? I anticipate needing the equivalent of $500 each day when we go ashore.

Edited by mary_228
another question

On European cruises, one ATM ususally dispensed Euros while the other one dispenses USD. On Caribbean and other cruises, both dispense USD. All the ATMs are operated by BB&T, a U.S. bank. I don't know the upper limit, but think it is about 500USD. Remember, you can withdraw on sea days also to get ahead.

If you plan on withdrawing that amount, and are at all concerned about fees, I'd recommend you either get the cash locally in advance of your trip (which is what I do) or use ATM machines on land.

The ATM machines on land seem to be the preferred method here on cruise critic. But personally I've had issues with machines working for me as well as daily limits not being adequate. After doing some homework on it I figured that between ATM fees and the hassle factor it's much easier just to get cash in advance at my bank near home. For security we carry cash beyond immediate needs in hidden money belt type pockets under our clothing.

Travelers checks, while increasingly useless in most situations, nay be just tge ticket here. Especially if your bank or other financial institution sells them for no fee. The ship charges no fee to cash them. This would give you USD which you would have to change to the local currency, but at least would keep you from having to carry large amounts of cash for most of your travels.

I read on the website that there will be a fee, but the amount is not listed. The banking regulations in the countries I am visiting limit the amount that can be withdrawn to rather small amounts and the fee is about $5 per transaction. I would like to compare that to the fee charged by Celebrity's bank. Also, does anyone know if the shipboard ATM's have a maximum withdrawal per transaction? I anticipate needing the equivalent of $500 each day when we go ashore.

$500 per day! What do you need that much cash for every day?

The ATM machines on land seem to be the preferred method here on cruise critic. But personally I've had issues with machines working for me as well as daily limits not being adequate. After doing some homework on it I figured that between ATM fees and the hassle factor it's much easier just to get cash in advance at my bank near home.
We had a big problem before our last cruise with an ATM in Rome that did not dispense the cash but took it out of our account so we were unable to use the debit card until the situation was resolved several months later. Not the way to start a vacation! Luckily my husband had a personal check that RCCL cashed onboard.

Travelers checks, while increasingly useless in most situations, may be just the ticket here. Especially if your bank or other financial institution sells them for no fee. The ship charges no fee to cash them. This would give you USD which you would have to change to the local currency, but at least would keep you from having to carry large amounts of cash for most of your travels.
This may be a good solution. We have a family of five on each of our excursions so the costs really add up and most of the tour companies do not accept credit cards.