Top ranked cruise lines for 2014

S.S.Oceanlover

Thats funny, I happen to like every single Carnival Ship I've been on, what you consider tacky, I consider unique, for me Rccl ships are ugly, I've never been on 1, have no plans to cruise on 1, I do plan on cruising on the Splendor, Sunshine and then Vista and many more Carnival ships, because I am brand loyal

That's not the purpose.

What Carnival is trying to accomplish is give the young cruisers and by extension their parents more opportunities to have fun and interact with each other.

I have to disagree. Camp Carnival already keeps the kids pretty busy and I don't think childhood boredom is an issue on Carnival.

Carnival wanted another flashy brand to try to lure people in because they are too cheap to make their ships a destination like other lines - so they half arse it.

CCL is in a panic. They are having trouble filling rooms. They have slashed costs all over the ship. Room stewards. Wait staff. Entertainment staff. Bands. Loyalty programs. Maintenance seems to be slipping. Slash the quality of the meats. Slash dining room features. Slash table cloths. The list goes on and on. They are shedding the very thinks that make them what they are. Send 1 then 2 ships to Austrailia. Cut back on dry dock upgrades. Why? Because they are scared. They slash prices on cruise fares in an effort to fill rooms. My cruise on the Magic had tons of rooms still available the last time I looked before I left. Inside and balconies galore. Heck - even the quality of the PVPs has gone down. Do you know how much they spend per person on a 7 day cruise for food? Around $52 a person for the entire week. That is dirt cheap for the amount of food that people inhale on a cruise.

They are trying to ride on the coat tails of celebrities - Guy's Burger Joint, George Lopez and now this Dr. Seuss business. They rather pay untold millions in royalties for those brand names than to worry about their own.

They see the writing on the wall and are struggling to stay afloat (pun intended, but no reference to the Concordia intended). It's a bad time to be a CCL exec.

This is not at all accurate.

Carnival has indeed been struggling for the past year and that's due to the event that occurred in February.

I think its extremely laughable that you criticize Carnival for "riding the coattails of celebrities", when most cruise lines do this. Whether its HAL with their Dancing with the Stars experience or Disney with their plethora of licensed characters and their other intangible assets.

A lot of what you are saying is based on opinions you present as "fact". For example, how does Carnival sending 2 ships to Australia mean they are "scared". Australia is a fast growing region/market and Carnival sees great potential there; and so do other cruise lines that's why they're sending more tonnage down there. This hardly seems like they're "scared", they're just looking for potential in external markets.

This is not at all accurate.

Carnival has indeed been struggling for the past year and that's due to the event that occurred in February.

I think its extremely laughable that you criticize Carnival for "riding the coattails of celebrities", when most cruise lines do this. Whether its HAL with their Dancing with the Stars experience or Disney with their plethora of licensed characters and their other intangible assets.

A lot of what you are saying is based on opinions you present as "fact". For example, how does Carnival sending 2 ships to Australia mean they are "scared". Australia is a fast growing region/market and Carnival sees great potential there; and so do other cruise lines that's why they're sending more tonnage down there. This hardly seems like they're "scared", they're just looking for potential in external markets.

Disney IS the charactors and all the extra stuff. That is what they ARE and that is why they command a higher price.

How many times has a Carnival Corp ship been sunk / stranded in the past 18 times? At least 4 times come to mind. 5 if you count the Triumph breaking free from her moorings.

Most cruise lines do not ride the coattails of celebrities. Disney IS the celebrity in that example. Carnival is going crazy with importing of other brands recently.

I have to disagree. Camp Carnival already keeps the kids pretty busy and I don't think childhood boredom is an issue on Carnival.

Carnival wanted another flashy brand to try to lure people in because they are too cheap to make their ships a destination like other lines - so they half arse it.

This too is extremely inaccurate.

I don't see how providing this fun experience for kids is indicative of Carnival being frugal. In fact it indicates just the opposite. The fact that they are willing to pay millions in licensing fees and costs shows that they are trying to provide various options for passengers.

Well this line of thinking certainly fits your narrative now doesn't it. Which means it must be absolutely correct.:rolleyes: Not. Partnering with a brand is never a cheap way out.

Most cruise lines do not ride the coattails of celebrities. Disney IS the celebrity in that example. Carnival is going crazy with importing of other brands recently.

Carnival - Dr. Seuss, Guys, etc

Royal Caribbean - DreamWorks, Chicago (and various other licensed plays), etc

Norwegian - Nickelodeon, Blue Man Group, Cirque dreams ,etc

HAL - Dancing with the Stars, etc

Disney - Everything Disney etc.

Need I say more?

How many times has a Carnival Corp ship been sunk / stranded in the past 18 times? At least 4 times come to mind. 5 if you count the Triumph breaking free from her moorings.

The Carnival fleet is over 100 ships, so a larger percentage of accidents and incidents will occur on Carnival owned ships. Regarding the Triumph breaking loose from her moorings, it occurred due to hurricane force winds (75+mph) so that is irrelevant........

We can afford it, I just can't talk myself into paying that much more for a Disney cruise... at least yet. Waiting for my kids to be a few years older when I think they'll get the moneys worth of paying twice as much.

Twice as much?? Try three times as much (thrice?) i distance myself from the Disney cult.

I wonder what the average age is of ships? I get that, but still I got thinking meh....

Personally I don't have an issue with older cruise ships as long as they cruise line updates them. I love the Fantasy class, for example. But many people think they deserve only the newest and greatest.

I don't think Carnival is suffering... operating poorly at times, but not suffering. I see cuts, but mostly changes occurring. Change is not always bad. Is they were suffering they would cut prices, the last 18 months I have not pulled the trigger on a deal I have liked. Simple 7 day cruise for 3 in an inside cabin.. sorry not paying 350+

Personally I don't have an issue with older cruise ships as long as they cruise line updates them. I love the Fantasy class, for example. But many people think they deserve only the newest and greatest.

Me either. Two things to mention caoguth my eye. First was the beds (all, even in the Roy O Disney suite) ahd a def sag to them in the middle. The second was the two meals we had were just ok.

Me either. Two things to mention caoguth my eye. First was the beds (all, even in the Roy O Disney suite) ahd a def sag to them in the middle. The second was the two meals we had were just ok.

A new boat isn't necessarily better, bed wise. The Magic last week had the worst two beds I have ever encountered in any hotel or cruise ship. If I didn't know better I'd say they purchased used beds asa cost-saving meausre. :D

I don't think Carnival is suffering... operating poorly at times, but not suffering. I see cuts, but mostly changes occurring. Change is not always bad. Is they were suffering they would cut prices, the last 18 months I have not pulled the trigger on a deal I have liked. Simple 7 day cruise for 3 in an inside cabin.. sorry not paying 350+

The only reason they aren't 'suffering' is because of alllllll the cut backs and cost cutting measures. They are hurting and they are/were scared which is why they have been slashing costs accross the board.

Change is not always bad, y ou are right. But Carnival isn't making these changes to improve their product - they are making changes soley for financial reasons.

A new boat isn't necessarily better, bed wise. The Magic last week had the worst two beds I have ever encountered in any hotel or cruise ship. If I didn't know better I'd say they purchased used beds asa cost-saving meausre. :D

Apologies for the off-topic (for reason) . . . but was that Carnival Magic or Disney Magic you are mentioning??

http://www.cruisemarketwatch.com/market-share/

Show me the " struggle part "

GO MIZZOU!!!!!!!

You didn't really look at that webpage did you? If you do a little math you'll find that Carnival cruise line has a passenger to net revenue ratio of less than half the next lowest cruise line. If you do a lot of math you'll find that all the other cruise lines under the Carnival Corp. umbrella are apparently what keeps CCL afloat. So it could be said that Carnival cruise LINE is struggling and that is what is being discussed here.

You didn't really look at that webpage did you? If you do a little math you'll find that Carnival cruise line has a passenger to net revenue ratio of less than half the next lowest cruise line. If you do a lot of math you'll find that all the other cruise lines under the Carnival Corp. umbrella are apparently what keeps CCL afloat. So it could be said that Carnival cruise LINE is struggling and that is what is being discussed here.

CCL just spent millions refurbishing a ship, millions more building another ship. Wish I was struggling like that.

GO MIZZOU!!!!!!!

The drum beaters don'g understand the difference between Carnival CRUISE LINE and Carnival Corporation & plc. LINE is screwed. Parent Co and other brands are not.

CCL just spent millions refurbishing a ship, millions more building another ship. Wish I was struggling like that.

GO MIZZOU!!!!!!!

Major companies are well known to spend tens of millions in desparation in order to stop the flow of customers away from their business. Hence all the gimmick brands recently, Guy, Lopez, Suess etc etc