OFF TOPIC POSTS Go Here

CC Help Jenn

Hi again......well, the Governor of Georgia actually came out and took

responsiblity for the mess....he apologized for the ineptitude and lack

of planning.

Hi girls.......

emandjennsmom, Wrapping your brain around the small amount of snow?

For a Michangander it would be nothing.....but it seems everyone in

Atlanta who drove to work all left their offices at the same time:eek:

and not sure if you saw it....but people ended up being stuck in their

cars for 16 hours on I-75 and/or 285........a Freakin mess:(

2400 kids were kept in their schools overnight and now?.....the Mayor

of Atlanta is blaming "the other folks"........:rolleyes: the blame game.....

it never works.

Janie, glad your family is ok.

Today, the high here was 38......and rainy.....not cold enough for snow

here but South Georiga is getting some too.

Yes, they were fine-couldn't get to our house because of stranded cars but was able to detour to a friend's. They came home midday Wednesday.

My car was left at the school Tuesday becasue they used a bunch of my gas before they turned around and went back to the school. The second time they left they took my daughter's car. We went and got it today. Mail was finally delivered today too.

Several of our friends/acquaintances were not so fortunate. I know personally more than a dozen people who were stranded on interstates trying to get home from work. Two people I know did not make it home until 4 pm Wednesday-it was over 24 hours for them. Another two(mother and daughter who work for the same attorney's office) were smart enough to just say the night at work and ended up staying Wednesday night too.

I guess we are fortunate Tony works from home and Meg only works 4 miles from the house. I can still hardly wrap my mind around they could not make only 4 miles?

Oh yes, another half dozen or so of people I know were stranded in town and walked home. Tony said he would have walked too but that Meg was exhausted from the hyper kids she had dealt with for over 10 hours. with her health issues he was just not sure it would be a good thing for her. Although Wednesday after they left our friend's they still could not get to our house and walked almost a mile but she had slept all night then.

Yes, if you saw our news a lot of people were berating Georgia's governor and Atlanta's mayor. Now I can understand the governor a little but the mayor is only the Atlanta city limits-metro Atlanta is probably at least 4 or 5 times more than that.

Most of those so bent out of shape are not southerners-so I guess it is hard for them to understand. It is very simple though. Snow ploughs cost a lot of money and it is hard to justify raising taxes for them when they are only needed every 3 or 4 years. People would be upset if they did that too. I learned the city of Atlanta does own 30 SPs though but I guess that is not a drop in the bucket to what would be needed.

I certainly didn't mean to upset anyone with my weather comments. It's just different for us northerners to see the nightmare that is taking place over what we would think is a small amount of snow, especially the well televised Atlanta mess. I feel awful for the people stuck in their vehicles and the kids stuck at school. It's all very sad. I can't imagine being stuck in my car or without my children.

I saw Al Roker go off on a little tangent today about the mayor of Atlanta and the governor of Georgia. He said the weather was well predicted and they failed at their responsibilities. It does indeed seem the blame game has begun.

We have driven through Atlanta a few times in the last year. The amount of traffic is remarkable. I can't fathom everyone on the roads at the same time. Atlanta has more lanes going in one direction on I-75 than we do (for the most part) going both north and south.

Again, I apologize if I upset anyone. It was just an observation and not intended to belittle anyone who is/was tragically stuck in their commute.

I got it and heck this is better than living through a hurricane-at least we are far enough from the coast not to have that problem.

If the Governor had called a state of emergency sooner perhaps schools would have been closed. Some counties further out did close school, Heard and Carroll, but they are so rural, I guess they knew their back roads would be full of ice for sure, whereas the well traveled metro counties should not had been a problem until after dark when snow slush turned to ice. The problem started with tractor trailer trucks jacknifing and blocking the interstates, then people switched to secondary (back)roads and overwhelmed them. They said all the interstates were running "green" at 12:15 pm and by 12:35 all were "red".

They said they may implement a plan for the future where you leave by what you are-schools first, private businesses second, govn't employees last as much of the problem was caused by everyone leaving the same time.

I do think that would be more sensible than us investing millions in snow ploughs. Lol! the kids love their snowcations down here! As long as county police departments have enough 4 wheel drives that they can see that doctors, nurses, etc. that work at hospitals can get where they are needed.

No apology necessary:).....sometimes the internet is funky....I was not

critisizing your post either;).......I realize folks from up north are

used to snow. Just looks like things in Atlanta are a mess.

And I saw Al on the news tonight as well:eek:....and saw they had

predicted the storm too......

I thought he acted a little "smartass" but then the governor said national weather had downgraded the storm and said that it would not hit Atlanta. That was only partly true-Monday night that was said but Tues at 4 am that changed-that was early enough to close the schools.

• 1 month later...

well no one has posted here in some time. Lois, i guess you have taken your cruise by now and I know kathy KS is going soon too.

Meg has a surgery next week. That cyst came back that she had removed 3 years ago. before they only took 90% as it is close to her voice box. they are taking more this time and she will have a 3 day stay in the hosp. I wish she did not have to have another surgery, but between having bronchitis and sinus infections which both keeps her from be able to eat, it has got to come out. She has lost about 10 pounds and she is so thin, she does not have that to spare.

So she will be spending her spring vacation from work recuperating, poor thing. We have planned a little overnight trip to Helen, GA right before she goes back to work. We booked a suite at the Helendorf Inn and it has a balcony that faces the Chattanooga/Chattahoochee? river. I forget what the river is called there. so anyway, not the ocean, but we will have a view of the water. We will all need that. I just wish it could be longer but she has to recuperate enough before we go.

Hi, hope everything with Meg will be ok.:)

Yes, my cruise was last month....been home a month now. It was

wonderful:)

What else? I turned 56 this month.......

Next trip is a land vacation for me:eek:.....my 2 sister's and bil's and me.

We are going to Toronto in July. One of my bil's has family up there.

First time the 5 of us will be together since Dad died....that was in 2011.

Hope everyone else is doing ok on here:)

One of my lifelong BFFs lives in a small town near Atlanta, GA and though it was a big shock to get that kind of weather, she took it in strike. She's always been a trooper and has a very positive attitude about life. She texted me pictures of a snowman that she had made in her yard, which was adorable.

Someone on this thread (posted last year I believe) said that as they were getting older that they were losing interest in fashion especially since no one seems to dress up for cruises any more.

Well, I wish she would cruise with me :) because I love fashion and getting older hasn't changed that a bit. As a matter of fact I've just gotten interested in color theory, which I learned about here on the Fashion Board. It's interesting and fun exploring something new about fashion at my age. Most of the ladies that are on the Fashion Board are made up of all ages. I'm more on the older side but it doesn't make any difference to any of the gals on this board.:D I'm mentioning this to let that poster know that there are a lot of women that still do dress up for their cruises. I hope she peruses this board and rekindles her love of fashion. You can love fashion and make up outfits that are inexpensive and comfortable. There are lots of tips on this board for all levels and styles of fashion. I hope the poster will read this board and give it a shot. She'll meet a lot of women that are very generous with their advice and tips and are really nice people. There's very little negative posts on this board, which is one reason why I love reading and posting here.:D

Sorry to hear about her friend Sue's passing. It's horrible to lose someone you love and care about.

Edited by mousey

Hi, hope everything with Meg will be ok.:)

Yes, my cruise was last month....been home a month now. It was

wonderful:)

What else? I turned 56 this month.......

Next trip is a land vacation for me:eek:.....my 2 sister's and bil's and me.

We are going to Toronto in July. One of my bil's has family up there.

First time the 5 of us will be together since Dad died....that was in 2011.

Hope everyone else is doing ok on here:)

I was thinking it was time for a birthday cruise Lois. so this year you had it early huh? 56 is not bad I will be 60 in July.

I htink Meg will do okay. she's a trooper. She just needs that out. I just hope they get well enough this time that it does not come back. At least this time next week it will be over with and she will be on the mend.

It has been 20 years since I have been to Toronto but it was a nice city. I think you will enjoy it and if you miss the water well Niagara Falls is over a 2 hour drive from there.

Hey, you know, if you have to go somewhere in July, I do think Canada is better than a Caribbean cruise. I know we went in August to Toronto that time. At home it was hitting in the high 90's and there I needed a sweater after 6 pm in the evening. have fun!

I am not sure we will do our New Orleans trip this year. We had planned to do it the week Meg was off in April. Instead we are doing an overnight trip less than 2 hours from home. We are going to Myrtle Beach in September and then Thanksgiving week we are on the Connie.

Hubby is talking again about us doing a northern Europe cruise next year. At one time he changed his mind and said he wanted Hawaii, but now he is back to Europe. I am game for whatever. Lol! but you know, if I was picking I would pick Canada with ports in Quebec and Charlottetown. However, I did pick California so it is his turn.

One of my lifelong BFFs lives in a small town near Atlanta, GA and though it was a big shock to get that kind of weather, she took it in strike. She's always been a trooper and has a very positive attitude about life. She texted me pictures of a snowman that she had made in her yard, which was adorable.

Someone on this thread (posted last year I believe) said that as they were getting older that they were losing interest in fashion especially since no one seems to dress up for cruises any more.

Well, I wish she would cruise with me :) because I love fashion and getting older hasn't changed that a bit. As a matter of fact I've just gotten interested in color theory, which I learned about here on the Fashion Board. It's interesting and fun exploring something new about fashion at my age. Most of the ladies that are on the Fashion Board are made up of all ages. I'm more on the older side but it doesn't make any difference to any of the gals on this board.:D I'm mentioning this to let that poster know that there are a lot of women that still do dress up for their cruises. I hope she peruses this board and rekindles her love of fashion. You can love fashion and make up outfits that are inexpensive and comfortable. There are lots of tips on this board for all levels and styles of fashion. I hope the poster will read this board and give it a shot. She'll meet a lot of women that are very generous with their advice and tips and are really nice people. There's very little negative posts on this board, which is one reason why I love reading and posting here.:D

Sorry to hear about her friend Sue's passing. It's horrible to lose someone you love and care about.

Mousey that was me. I do still take pride in my appearance. I still dress for formal night but now it does not matter if I wear a new dress or a repeat.

Sue was a cyber friend that posted here on the CC a whole lot. She loved cruising too I think she was only in her early 50's when she passed and had taken her last cruise about 2 months before, even though she had been very ill and could not eat.

Mousey that was me. I do still take pride in my appearance. I still dress for formal night but now it does not matter if I wear a new dress or a repeat.

Sue was a cyber friend that posted here on the CC a whole lot. She loved cruising too I think she was only in her early 50's when she passed and had taken her last cruise about 2 months before, even though she had been very ill and could not eat.

You're so right! It doesn't matter if you wear the same dress on different formal nights on different cruises. I do the same with certain of my dressier clothing as I don't wear them that often when not cruising. Here in CA it's very casual no matter where you go it seems. The only time I get dressed up fancy if for a wedding or some kind of special event, otherwise it's jeans, boots, sandals, tee-shirts and sweaters depending on the weather.

Again, I'm sorry to hear about your cyber friend Sue. She's lucky to have had such a caring person in her life as you seem to be. Isn't it wonderful that we can become so attached to each other without ever having physically met. It shows that you can make friends and find love without any physical boundaries these days. Amazing isn't it.:)

You're so right! It doesn't matter if you wear the same dress on different formal nights on different cruises. I do the same with certain of my dressier clothing as I don't wear them that often when not cruising. Here in CA it's very casual no matter where you go it seems. The only time I get dressed up fancy if for a wedding or some kind of special event, otherwise it's jeans, boots, sandals, tee-shirts and sweaters depending on the weather.

Again, I'm sorry to hear about your cyber friend Sue. She's lucky to have had such a caring person in her life as you seem to be. Isn't it wonderful that we can become so attached to each other without ever having physically met. It shows that you can make friends and find love without any physical boundaries these days. Amazing isn't it.:)

Mousey all of us loved her. If you had been here posting back then you would have too.

• 1 month later...

Good morning, and Happy Mother's Day to everyone - whether you have people babies or fur babies, I hope your day is a good one.

This morning when I woke up the first person who came into my mind was Sue - isn't that strange? Maybe it's because yesterday I was thinking ahead about my cruise wardrobe for our T/A in the fall and remembering "The Dress". I wonder how Rick and Natalie are doing? I remember reading here some time ago that Rick re-married, but not sure about Natalie. Sue continues to inspire many of us on this board.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Happy Mother's Day to all the Mom's, Grandma's, etc....out there:)

Hope all of you are having a great day.

I will be in my place 2 years this Nov. When I moved in, the floors

in my living room/dining room and bedrooms were redone....carpet

in the bedrooms and what looks like wood in the other. (It is laminate

but looks really good).

This coming Tuesday my bathroom, kitchen and foyer are being re-done:D

New tiles.......I am excited:) The same man who did my living room/

dining room will be doing the job. He is very good. He also did my backsplash

in the kitchen. I am so looking forward to this~got all the tiles on sale too:)

Edited by Lois R

I know it will be pretty Lois. Congrats! I guess you are planning your Toronto trip, will you take the 2 hour drive to Niagara Falls? It is really something on the Canadian side.

We ended up switching our 5 day Connie cruise to the Silhouette. It just made sense when we wanted those ports and hubby's vacation was taken up for this year.

Our friends weren't sure they were going to Myrtle beach this year, because of her mom who had gotten much worse these last few months. If they had canceled we would have too,so there was a chance he would have some vacation time free after all. However, her mom passed last week so Myrtle Beach is definitely on. She is really hurting right now so we would not cancel that for sure. She was an only child and her father walked out on them hen she was really young, so she and her mother were extremely close. Her mom should have been this last year for sure in a nursing home, but she could not bring herself to do it. I know now she is glad she didn't, as her husband and children had thought it was time.

What I would like to do is try and convince her to book the Silhouette also. They used to like cruising but haven't not been since 2000 when they took her mom to Alaska. Her mom's health was declining even then. They went on Celebrity too and they really liked Celebrity so maybe by the Myrtle beach trip, I can convince her.

Hi,:) nope, not planning anything really. The trip is not till July and

I have no idea if we are going to Niagra Falls or not....

Sorry about your friend's Mom.

Enjoy Sihlouette, she is a beautiful ship. I sailed her last year.

Edited by Lois R

Hi,:) nope, not planning anything really. The trip is not till July and

I have no idea if we are going to Niagra Falls or not....

Sorry about your friend's Mom.

Enjoy Sihlouette, she is a beautiful ship. I sailed her last year.

July is very close now. It won't be long. Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

Wishing all of you a Very Happy Memorial Day and thank you to all

who have served and are serving....and of course, thank you to all who

have made the ulimate sacrifice.

• 3 weeks later...

To all the Dad's, Grandad's, Step Dad's....if you have a Dad, are one....

Happy Father's Day to all of you.

August 30th will be 3 years since I lost mine.......I miss him

every day, especially today......we always watched the US OPEN

together.....I love you Daddy.:)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still around! I check in and read on occasion, but have not posted in a while.

I am having some health problems right now, I expect to not be feeling better for a few more weeks. Other than saying that, I really don't care to discuss my issues on an open, public forum.

We do have our next cruise planned. August 2015 a one way southbound in Alaska. So far, we have a small group of 6-8 people going. I've got to have a future plan!

I'm still around! I check in and read on occasion, but have not posted in a while.

I am having some health problems right now, I expect to not be feeling better for a few more weeks. Other than saying that, I really don't care to discuss my issues on an open, public forum.

We do have our next cruise planned. August 2015 a one way southbound in Alaska. So far, we have a small group of 6-8 people going. I've got to have a future plan!

Hi Kathy....sending you all my best wishes ((((((((hugs too))))))))

and thinking all good thoughts for you.