Upsell offer?

Ineke

My point. I also would consider 30% a reasonable upsell offer. The OP's offer was over 100% of his purchased room; would you have taken that "deal" ? I ask because here is a real life situation, not the theoretical parameters being argued by most here, some of which have drifted into the realm of deep space.

I suspect that none of the posters promoting this over analysis have taken any 100% plus upsells as a good deal.

Highlight in the quote added by this poster for reference.

I wouldn't have taken it from an A, because the retail price difference from an A to an SA would only have been about 70% of the fare for the A category to begin with.

It's a bit of apples and oranges, because of the smaller balcony and suite capacity of the R/S class ships, and the lack of an intermediate SZ category. Jumping from a VH to an SA is a very different thing than jumping from an A to an SA.

I also would consider 30% a reasonable upsell offer. The OP's offer was over 100% of his purchased room; would you have taken that "deal" ?
Let's say a suite is selling for $3000 pp and you paid $1550 pp for your original booking. You are offered a suite for an additional $450 pp, bringing the total to $2000 pp. That is a 29% increase and therefore a "reasonable offer" according to your statement above.

If you originally had paid $1000 pp, the suite for $2000 pp would be a 100% increase and not a "practical" offer to you according to your prior posts.

In fact, these two are precisely the same offer - a $3000 pp suite for $2000 pp - and what you paid in the first place makes not one iota of difference whether it is a good offer or not. Whether you paid $1550 pp or $1000 pp initially, you are paying $2000 pp in the end. The only difference is how much of a "deposit" you put down toward that final price.

Edited by jtl513

I suspect that none of the posters promoting this over analysis have taken any 100% plus upsells as a good deal.

Actually, I might. Depending on the original cost and what the new accommodations were it would definitely tempt me. I'm completing my bucket list and have to assume I only have a few years left at most to do this. So I very well could decide to tick that box and gave an amazing experience with my husband. You can't assume to know everyone's motivations for doing things. Cancer changes everything. So do other life threatening illnesses I'm sure.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Actually, I might. Depending on the original cost and what the new accommodations were it would definitely tempt me.
Again I say that the original cost should have no bearing on your decision. What you should look at is the current list price versus the offer price total, not what percentage increase that is over your original booking. The original cost is just a "deposit" toward the final.

Edited by jtl513

Again I say that the original cost should have no bearing on your decision. What you should look at is the current list price versus the offer price total, not what percentage increase that is over your original booking. The original cost is just a "deposit" toward the final.

That is what I was saying. The original cost of the upgrade, I did not say anything about the cost of what I had already paid.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

What you should look at is the current list price versus the offer price total, not what percentage increase that is over your original booking. The original cost is just a "deposit" toward the final.

Right! What makes it a good or bad deal is the % the discount is from the list price, not whether the down payment was 50% or 70%.

Our T.A. called re an upsell offer for our upcoming cruise. HAL offered us a suite for an additional payment that is more than what we paid for our current booking. We said "No thank you!"

Last post for me in this discussion, because as I have said, some of the theories about what makes a good or bad deal, have reached the outer limits. For me, it is only a good deal, if the offer is for a significant category upgrade at a modest cost, which I agreed for me is loosely somewhere at 30% or less additional to my original price point at booking. Some of the ideas here have drifted so far afield that I went back to the OP(quoted again above) to be sure that I was not missing something asked about good or bad deals. The words are not even mentioned. I would like to ask again, how many here professing to have the answer on what is a good deal, have taken an upsell at more than 100% of their booking price and were happy with it as a good deal ? Simple question as asked, no additional interpretation, parameters, would if's, might's, or other qualifiers needed.

The value of any offer is just as subjective as the taste of the food, but the OP has made his opinion of this one pretty clear....."No thank You".

Edited by MermaidWatcher

I would like to ask again, how many here professing to have the definitive answer on what is a good deal, have taken an upsell at more than 100% of their booking price and were happy with it as a good deal ?
I haven't ever been offered one, but had I booked an Inside at $1000 pp and could get a Suite selling for $3000 pp by paying another $1000 pp I would take it in a heartbeat and be ecstatic about it. I don't think I'm alone in that opinion.

Now if the Suite list price was $2000 pp I would not take it. The "parameters" are not incidental to the question, they are the key factors.

Edited by jtl513

Last post for me in this discussion, because as I have said, some of the theories about what makes a good or bad deal, have reached the outer limits. For me, it is only a good deal, if the offer is for a significant category upgrade at a modest cost, which I agreed for me is loosely somewhere at 30% or less additional to my original price point at booking.

You seem to fail to recognize that that is only YOUR personal preference or idea of what works for an upsell. As myself and others have pointed out that isn't everything that we may factor in. Pre-cancer I probably would have said no... but if it were now and it were an upgrade to a Pinnacale suite from my Lanai room? Yeah, I very well may take it if I had the funds available. The price difference is significant.

Edited by sherilyn70

To me this whole thread seems to be way off kilter. First off from the OP's first comment none of us can make a rational conclusion if it is a good deal or not. The OP did come back in and state they had a VH Guarantee and was assigned a V. They may have paid a Flash price of $699 PP for the Balcony cabin and were offered to go all the way up to the Neptune Suite for $799.00 per person (they stated they did not want to pay $1600.00 more) to pay $1500.00 per person for a Neptune Suite is an amazing deal, It is even a GREAT deal for a Signature Suite. Many times they go for twice that for a 7 day cruise. I have seen those with Balcony Guarantees with a Flash that paid $599 PP get offered to go to the Neptune for $1099 PP again another great offer and people do jump on those offers and the chance to get them. Each and every single one of us has a totally different opinion of what a good deal is and 99% is always going to depend on what your budget is. You can always ignore the offer or just say no, No one is twisting anyone's arm nor should we judge. But to say that paying more than double what you originally paid is bad is just jumping to conclusion.

I agree with Sherilyn that a lot has to do with your prospective on life, and if you passion is cruising then by all means enjoy while you can because we never know what is ahead of us. I do not want to be the one that can no longer cruise and say I wish we would have done something.

Do not get me wrong for the OP the decision was a good one because that was their decision and I know they will have a great cruise :)

That's you. "Impractical" to you is not always that to everyone. Another person may just say "Hey, this is just too good a deal to pass up ... we've always wanted to try a suite ... let's go for it". Or maybe their financial situation is better now than when they originally booked. And that is what HAL is hoping for.

Totally agree. When I booked my Alaska cruise last August I never dreamed I'd be sailing in the penthouse. It was expensive over all to do it but I felt I deserved it after the rough road I'd faced for the couple months prior to that. I'm really happy I did but it's something I never thought I would do.

Add me to the list of those who agree. :)

<snip>

I agree with Sherilyn that a lot has to do with your prospective on life, and if you passion is cruising then by all means enjoy while you can because we never know what is ahead of us. I do not want to be the one that can no longer cruise and say I wish we would have done something.

Do not get me wrong for the OP the decision was a good one because that was their decision and I know they will have a great cruise :)

I agree with this, as well. :)

I'm sorry this post has taken off on tangents I never imagined. Of course it's a personal decision, I fully understand that. While our original cost wasn't the flash price one quoted (wow, wouldn't that be something!), we were thrilled to find a VH guarantee at $100.00 per day per person- we normally cruise OV, when we find one at a price we can live with. To have been upgraded to a V is amazing to us, we are excited. We're just ordinary folks who love to cruise when we can afford to - the upsell to us was beyond what we are interested in paying. I understand that to others it would be an easy YES. Absolutely agree that everyone is different, that's what makes the world go around. And Sherilyn, I will be praying for you, and hope you have many wonderful cruises left to enjoy. Have a wonderful Christmas, everyone, and happy cruising!

A few, may 3 years ago, we booked our usual balcony. Shortly after booking we were upgraded to a better balcony. Shortly before the cruise we got an upsell offer to an S - now Neptune Suite - DH and I had a disagreement about the price. The Son and DIL came for the weekend and basically said -- what are you thinking, pay the money -- enjoy yourself. It's not always a matter of percentages or dollars. When the Son says -- spend the inheritance we do it. That is our story. YMMV