Southern Caribbean Cruise--Sea Conditions?

NHNEV2003

We are looking at the Valor Southern Caribbean cruise out of San Juan next year--a question for those that have have sailed that specific cruise--

Normally, how is the sea for this cruise in mid-to-late-November or early-mid-December?

We always book the week after Thanksgiving---I am looking for info from those that have sailed this itinerary from mid-November to mid-December.

Not interested in other times of the year--I'd like to compare apples to apples.

Thanks in advance for anyone that can help!

I have sailed the Southern a few times in the fall. The best answer is that there's no rhyme or reason. I've had calm seas and I've had stormy seas.

I'm sure someone with a crystal ball may have a more accurate answer. :o

I have sailed the Southern a few times in the fall. The best answer is that there's no rhyme or reason. I've had calm seas and I've had stormy seas.

I'm sure someone with a crystal ball may have a more accurate answer. :o

Thanks-- I'm not looking for a prediction--I'm just trying to gauge by specific feedback what people have specifically experienced.

If 20 people out of 20 people respond that their trips were miserable then I see a trend.

Just trying to tap the experience of alot of people on this website.

Thanks for any and all input!

There is no way to tell and no crystal ball exists for sea conditions. It only takes one storm to change calm seas to bumpy or even rough seas.

I don't why people don't understand this. The sea conditions are just like land - it can be beautiful one day and the next day a storm comes through and shakes things up. Storms happen year around all over the world.

Thanks-- I'm not looking for a prediction--I'm just trying to gauge by specific feedback what people have specifically experienced.

If 20 people out of 20 people respond that their trips were miserable then I see a trend.

Just trying to tap the experience of alot of people on this website.

Thanks for any and all input!

If 20/20 people had miserable trips then the cruise lines wouldn't be cruisin in that area as nobody would return. :rolleyes:

We are looking at the Valor Southern Caribbean cruise out of San Juan next year--a question for those that have have sailed that specific cruise--

Normally, how is the sea for this cruise in mid-to-late-November or early-mid-December?

We always book the week after Thanksgiving---I am looking for info from those that have sailed this itinerary from mid-November to mid-December.

Not interested in other times of the year--I'd like to compare apples to apples.

Thanks in advance for anyone that can help!

It really is a toss up , best to book a room mid ship low deck and go with the flow. I usually cruise around that time of year. Some times the ocean is like a piece of glass other times rock and roll. :)

Here is what I experienced on my Valor cruise starting December 1st. It was really a mixed bag.

Dec 1, leaving San Juan. A very small amount of rocking. Only just worth noting.

Dec 2, leaving St. Thomas. Smooth sailing.

Dec 3, Sea day. A tiny bit of movement.

Dec 4, leaving Barbados. Smooth sailing.

Dec 5, leaving St. Lucia. Some rocking, not too bad

Dec 6, Leaving St. Kitts. Moderate rocking, occasional shuddering, and obvious bumping. (storm before we left)

Dec 7, Leaving St. Maarten. A good amount of rocking, more shuddering, and you could feel the ship slamming waves (there was more storming, we were also traveling faster to make San Juan by early morning).

It never felt like we were being tossed around, but there some nights that were more active than others and walking was interesting.

Hope that helps.

Edited by seannyice81

There is no way to predict the answer to that question.

Carnival Freedom 12/12/2010 bad winds, horrible seas, first time I ever went beyond just feeling the waves but actually got sick. Carnival Freedom 12/13/2009 and Carnival Freedom 12/11/2011 smooth sailing, stopped taking the bonine on both trips although 2009 had a lot of rain on the islands. I realize these were not southern Caribbean cruises but the tropics is the tropics when it comes to weather, storms, and cold fronts and there simply is no way to tell.

Edited to add more

Carnival Splendor 12/06/2008 Freezing but smooth seas.

Celebrity Millennium 12/16/2007 great weather smooth seas

Caribbean Princess 12/17/2006 rough ocean couldn't walk a straight line black and blue from falling into furniture. Thought the pool was a wave pool the first 2 days.

Edited by larronry

Thanks larronry and seannyice81 for your replies-- exactly what I'm looking for.:)

To those that think I'm trying to predict the weather--not what I'm looking for--I'm looking for specific info regarding peoples' experiences to help me in my decisions for future cruises--just another source of info that will help in that decision. Thanks for your opinions though. :rolleyes:

seannyice81---great review of your trip also!:)

Thanks larronry and seannyice81 for your replies-- exactly what I'm looking for.:)

To those that think I'm trying to predict the weather--not what I'm looking for--I'm looking for specific info regarding peoples' experiences to help me in my decisions for future cruises--just another source of info that will help in that decision. Thanks for your opinions though. :rolleyes:

Welcome, and thanks!

People's experiences about sea conditions on their cruise still will not provide any given information. The seas will be what they are going to be at any given moment. Just got off a cruise with glassy seas, the morning returning to port we were dealing with winds and whitecaps.

I find the water is usually very warm ...remnants of summer ...much coooooler in Jan until March

We hadmostly calm seas but every now and then dumdinger rain ...bring a poncho or raincoat ...comes hard but disappears quickly ...happened in Curacao and Grand turk ...after the rain we actually. Enjoyed the beach

Go have fun

I was on the valor 11/24 -12/1 and it was pretty rough, it rained every night, making the balcony useless. It was also very windy. Walking the ship was a little tough, and you could see everyone swaying up and down the hallways. Did feel a few waves crash and a loud "thud" but nothing more. Never felt sick, but is was rocky

I have been on the valor on other routes and this ship IMO is really rocky regardless of the sea conditions. Had aft balcony and the entire cabin would vibrate when docking.

Even with the rough seas, rain, and the vibrating. The ports of call are amazing, never had rain while docked, and I'd do this ship and route again.

I was on the valor 11/24 -12/1 and it was pretty rough, it rained every night, making the balcony useless. It was also very windy. Walking the ship was a little tough, and you could see everyone swaying up and down the hallways. Did feel a few waves crash and a loud "thud" but nothing more. Never felt sick, but is was rocky

I have been on the valor on other routes and this ship IMO is really rocky regardless of the sea conditions. Had aft balcony and the entire cabin would vibrate when docking.

Even with the rough seas, rain, and the vibrating. The ports of call are amazing, never had rain while docked, and I'd do this ship and route again.

Anyone with a room in the very aft end of ANY ship will feel vibrations from the aft thrusters. Same thing for those in the bow. This is the case for any ship that has thrusters so please don't suggest that there is something wrong with the Valor.

Anyone with a room in the very aft end of ANY ship will feel vibrations from the aft thrusters. Same thing for those in the bow. This is the case for any ship that has thrusters so please don't suggest that there is something wrong with the Valor.

I was stating MY OPINION, never did I state there was a problem with the Valor. I've been aft on the glory, and freedom and have never felt this type of vibrating. Yes it vibrates on other ships, but this was more then the others.

I also did state that I'd do the same ship and route again, as none of it made my cruise any less.

I've done this trip several times now...

It's usually a smooth ride but if there is going to be a bumpy leg

it'll be when Valor passes between St.Vincent and St.Lucia

and starts heading the 100 miles upwind/up-current/up-weather and up-swell to Barbados.

That'll be the Tuesday night after the Day-at-Sea.

VALOR_route.jpg

We did this Itinerary last December (the week and 1/2 before Christmas) on the Victory (the Valor and Victory switched places in Feb of 2013) and all of our seas were pretty smooth. The Last part of November is just after the Hurricane season and it really is fairly good/mild weather in the Caribbean.