In-cabin safe

jwh

I have read that I will need a credit card to swipe the safe in the cabin to open and close. As I normally put my cards inside the safe, I thought I'd bring an old card with me just for the purpose of opening and closing. Is this what you do?

I'm assuming that all the HAL ships have this system. I will be on Zaandam and any other tips are appreciated.

Many thanks

Judith

I'm pretty sure that all the old card-swipe type safes are gone, and they are all the 4-digit type now.

If yours does require a card-swipe then anything with a magnetic stripe will do ... a library card, a store preferred-customer card, a current or expired driver's license, etc.

Edited by catl331

Maasdam has the new digital safes. Sailing on Noordam next, but I would bet they have them too. Anyone recently off the Noordam who knows?
Noordam has always had the keypad type.

Edited by jtl513

Maasdam has the new digital safes. Sailing on Noordam next, but I would bet they have them too. Anyone recently off the Noordam who knows?

Carol...they have always been digital on the Noordam...so I'm guessing you'll have the same type safe you had last time on her.

The safes on Nieuw Amsterdam and Eurodam are considerably larger than on all the other ships.

Beg to differ but the Rotterdam, Eurodam and Oosterdam in 2012-2013 in the Neptune suites all seemed to have the same size. Must assume that the size is the same despite the accommodation class. Thanks sail7seas for all your posts and information.

Certainly on the Zuiderdam there was a digital keypad.

Also on the Ryndam, which we disembarked last week , the safes required your own 4 digit pin number.. This is a much better arrangement, as both cabin mates can open the safe & not have to wait for the person who has the old swipe card..:)

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by serendipity1499

Beg to differ but the Rotterdam, Eurodam and Oosterdam in 2012-2013 in the Neptune suites all seemed to have the same size. Must assume that the size is the same despite the accommodation class. Thanks sail7seas for all your posts and information.

No, definitely not so for our Neptune Suite on Oosterdam.

We were in Cabin 7058.

We had the same small size safe in that Suite as we have had on 12 ships in the fleet. The two where we have had larger safes were only Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam for a total of 14 of 15 ships.

The only ship we have not sailed in a Neptune Suite is Prinsendam.

Edited by sail7seas