Does Carnival use Upsell to clear their Guarantees?

tropicbird

So I've been reading the recent posts about upsells, and, separately, on how Carnival handles guarantee cabins. Carnival appears to wait until much closer to sail date to assign guarantee cabins than some lines (for example in many cases RCCL assigns guarantee cabins just after final payment is made), and also is known for upsell calls that seem to occur about the same time that the guarantees are assigned.

So I wonder, does Carnival identify cabins that it needs for guarantees, and then contact those already booked in them with an upsell offer? If the originally booked folks take the offer, they are effetively buying up to a higher category while allowing Carnival to place a guarantee into that cabin. So instead of "losing money" (from an opportunity cost perspective) by assigning a guarantee to a more expensive cabin type than booked, Carnival gets the incremental increase in the price of the upsell. It would also, over time, encourage folks to book specific cabins, and thus pay more, than to book a guarantee with an expectation of at least some upgrade.

This would have the effect of making guarantees less likely to get categorical upgrades (inside to outside, etc.) and result in increased revenue by not having to elevate folks to cabins or categories above what they paid in to. Pretty clever really.

Edited by tropicbird
grammar

So I've been reading the recent posts about upsells, and, separately, on how Carnival handles guarantee cabins. Carnival appears to wait until much closer to sail date to assign guarantee cabins than some lines (for example in many cases RCCL assigns guarantee cabins just after final payment is made), and also is known for upsell calls that seem to occur about the same time that the guarantees are assigned.

So I wonder, does Carnival identify cabins that it needs for guarantees, and then contact those already booked in them with an upsell offer? If the originally booked folks take the offer, they are effetively buying up to a higher category while allowing Carnival to place a guarantee into that cabin. So instead of "losing money" (from an opportunity cost perspective) by assigning a guarantee to a more expensive cabin type than booked, Carnival gets the incremental increase in the price of the upsell. It would also, over time, encourage folks to book specific cabins, and thus pay more, than to book a guarantee with an expectation of at least some upgrade.

This would have the effect of making guarantees less likely to get categorical upgrades (inside to outside, etc.) and result in increased revenue by not having to elevate folks to cabins or categories above what they paid in to. Pretty clever really.

What you're saying does make sense. We were offered an upsell to go from Riviera Midship Inside cabin to an upper deck forward cabin. We turned it down for a couple of reasons. We're very happy with Riviera Midship and we're doing B2B so want the same cabin for both legs. We did get the Upsell email for both cruises but not at the same time.

I believe your thinking is correct. Like any business they are trying to maximize income thus profits. So many people choose guarantees hoping to be upgraded and should be willing to accept what is given to them.

All cruise lines will lower prices "for new bookings" if they get close to sailing and cabins have not been sold. It is better for them to put a JS on sale and have someone book it than give that JS to a guarantee and then try to the cabin saved for guarantees to someone else.

I believe Carnival starts at the top and works down to cheaper bookings. For instance, see if Jr suites want to upgrade to real suites. Balconies to Jr Suites. Regular balconies to Aft balconies. Etc.

After upsell/upgrade calls have been made, assign the guarantees.

I think Carnival also considers how much someone paid for a cabin compared to everyone else in that cabin class. They will try to upgrade the lowest paying cruisers first in an effort to make the most money. Then turn around and sell that cabin at a higher rate.

I have been offered an upsell from a Vista Suite to a Grand Suite on the Pride. (IMHO I would consider that down grading) Since there is no such thing as a guaranteed Vista Suite I'm not sure they do it that way all of the time if at all.

Carnival is unique in the number of "upgrade fairies" they have working. Get you signed up cheap, than pester you for more money. They try to get every penny they can to fill the cabins. Easier to fill a cheap cabin on last minute deals than an upgraded cabin.

That is the upsale fairy, not the upgrade fairy. They are different.

I was also told that they also aim for people who are at max capacity and try to sell a room with more square footage.

I got an upsell call to move from a Riveria inside to one of the suites. The guy told me it was because it was 4 of us in the room and they wanted to offer us more space. I didn't take it because it would have been an addition $900.

Sounds like a well-thought-out business plan

to compensate for that fuel surcharge revenue

us cheapskates don't want to pay!

Like you, I hope the fuel surcharge never returns

but then I don't complain about the cruise line having to nickel and dime it out of us some other way. :)

It does take serious money to run cruise-ships, you know!

Have you ever bought a gallon of that expensive blue anti-fouling paint for the hull, beneath the waterline?

Did you ever consider that kinda stuff as a running expense? :confused:

I was also told that they also aim for people who are at max capacity and try to sell a room with more square footage.

I got an upsell call to move from a Riveria inside to one of the suites. The guy told me it was because it was 4 of us in the room and they wanted to offer us more space. I didn't take it because it would have been an addition $900.

I think he was offering more space in your wallet

Sounds like a well-thought-out business plan

to compensate for that fuel surcharge revenue

us cheapskates don't want to pay!

Like you, I hope the fuel surcharge never returns

but then I don't complain about the cruise line having to nickel and dime it out of us some other way. :)

It does take serious money to run cruise-ships, you know!

Have you ever bought a gallon of that expensive blue anti-fouling paint for the hull, beneath the waterline?

Did you ever consider that kinda stuff as a running expense? :confused:

As much as someone who books a guarantee hopes to get an upgrade, it makes sense to offer upsells first and get revenue from it.

• 1 month later...

Received call yesterday. Originally booked cheapest room on ship (1a) and offered up sell to Oceon suite for $175 per person (wife and I) on a 5 day out of Galveston. I was told it was because I was Platinum.

There may be something to the post about attempting to maximize up sell.