Life in Labadie

bilyclub

Been to the RCI Labadee many times and really found this article interesting. One comment mentioned that it was easy to leave the RCI area and venture out. I don't think that that is true, but then I have never tried so maybe it is.

Thanks for posting.

Edited by Laid-back

The last time I was in Labadee I brought some children's clothing items and gave them to an Excursion operator to give to someone in need. He was very appreciative and said he stayed in a very poor village nearby.

Visiting again soon. Maybe I'll try to see the village myself this time.

This is on my bucket list: Visit Haiti again, but outside the gates of the Labadee compound.

We were in Labadee last week. A Haitian employee of the area told my husband that the large dark red plaster administrative building near the gate where passengers enter the park has a passport control office. Those who wish to enter Haiti outside of Royal Caribbean's Labadee go there and then can leave the gated compound.

That is all I know. I don't know if there are any organized tours. I don't know how you get out of the private fenced compound...by foot? On a boat? Royal Caribbean keeps such arrangements pretty quiet. They might not be sponsored or sanctioned by Royal. It could be risky.

Also I don't even know if what the employee told Hubby is correct. All I know is the above is what he told Hubby who was very surprised because we go to Labadee at least once a year and never had a clue about a passport control office.

We were in Labadee last week. A Haitian employee of the area told my husband that the large dark red plaster administrative building near the gate where passengers enter the park has a passport control office. Those who wish to enter Haiti outside of Royal Caribbean's Labadee go there and then can leave the gated compound.

That is all I know. I don't know if there are any organized tours. I don't know how you get out of the private fenced compound...by foot? On a boat? Royal Caribbean keeps such arrangements pretty quiet. They might not be sponsored or sanctioned by Royal. It could be risky.

Also I don't even know if what the employee told Hubby is correct. All I know is the above is what he told Hubby who was very surprised because we go to Labadee at least once a year and never had a clue about a passport control office.

Perhaps there is some sort of passport control for employees, but there is nothing available to passengers to leave the gates and tour Haiti.

In March, I was given the honour of leaving the grounds for a few hours to visit the Royal Caribbean school just up the road, but I had to do a lot of arranging before hand - we were dropping off donations to the school, and since I speak Haitian Creole (I was a missionary there back in the 1980s for 18 months), I was able to spend time speaking to the students too. But, I assure you, this is a very special opportunity, and there are no organized events outside the gates.