Nassau - What we did

dalgirl

This was our second trip to Nassau and I thought I would share what we did both times:

Our first time in Nassau we bought passes at the Hilton - easy walk from ship, nice pool, quiet beach area with chairs, umbrellas and towels. Lunch was included along with one drink - both were good. It was quiet and relaxing without a lot of people there - I think it is more for business people and you will not find all the bells and whistle you get where families with kids go. Good for adults who want a quiet, relaxing atmosphere.

This last cruise we took a cab (well maybe more like a guy with his car trying to make some extra money, but he was nice) to Ardastra Gardens and Zoo. It is a small zoo, with lots of birds and smaller animals, a petting area and of course, those beautiful flamingos. I really like small zoos without all the concrete and large animals. You won't see any elephants but there were a few smaller cats (jaguar, etc), monkeys and birds. We took our time, but still saw everything within an hours time. Then we walked down the hill to catch the #10 Jitney back to the port. We took the longer route and got a wonderful overview of the island for $1.25. Lots of friendly locals and tourists hopping off and on - you can't get a cheaper tour. On the way back to the port we passed Junkanoo Beach and hopping off the bus we took a stroll along the shore. This is a lovely little beach with families on blankets, some drink and food stands, local trinkets, etc. It is free, which is the best part - it reminded me of beach outings when we were kids before jetskis and big ocean toys.

We strolled back through the straw market, looked in a few shops and headed back to the ship. You really don't have to spend a lot of money to have a nice tour of the city, a day at the beach, or a stroll around town. We will be back in Nassau next Sept. and we plan to have a similar day then.

Hope this is helpful to those not sure what they want to do.

Thanks, that was very helpful, I have been trying to decide what to do in Nassau.

Can you tell me how much you paid for a day pass to the Hilton?

Hilton Day pass is $60 thru Island Marketing, $65 same day at the front desk. Pass includes a $40 voucher for food and drinks at the Patio Grill.

Hilton is a small private business hotel.. not a resort.

Most people enjoy the quiet serenity, relax in the hammocks or day beds, read or just chill out.

If you are looking to be entertained.. this is not the place.

This was our second trip to Nassau and I thought I would share what we did both times:

Our first time in Nassau we bought passes at the Hilton - easy walk from ship, nice pool, quiet beach area with chairs, umbrellas and towels. Lunch was included along with one drink - both were good. It was quiet and relaxing without a lot of people there - I think it is more for business people and you will not find all the bells and whistle you get where families with kids go. Good for adults who want a quiet, relaxing atmosphere.

This last cruise we took a cab (well maybe more like a guy with his car trying to make some extra money, but he was nice) to Ardastra Gardens and Zoo. It is a small zoo, with lots of birds and smaller animals, a petting area and of course, those beautiful flamingos. I really like small zoos without all the concrete and large animals. You won't see any elephants but there were a few smaller cats (jaguar, etc), monkeys and birds. We took our time, but still saw everything within an hours time. Then we walked down the hill to catch the #10 Jitney back to the port. We took the longer route and got a wonderful overview of the island for $1.25. Lots of friendly locals and tourists hopping off and on - you can't get a cheaper tour. On the way back to the port we passed Junkanoo Beach and hopping off the bus we took a stroll along the shore. This is a lovely little beach with families on blankets, some drink and food stands, local trinkets, etc. It is free, which is the best part - it reminded me of beach outings when we were kids before jetskis and big ocean toys.

We strolled back through the straw market, looked in a few shops and headed back to the ship. You really don't have to spend a lot of money to have a nice tour of the city, a day at the beach, or a stroll around town. We will be back in Nassau next Sept. and we plan to have a similar day then.

Hope this is helpful to those not sure what they want to do.

Do you remember the name of the company/person that gave you the tour? Did you have it scheduled before you got there or just got off of the ship and found someone? This is exactly what we are looking for!!

Thanks scubagirl, you are always on the money!

Neither day was an excursion, both just Dyi off the ship. You really don't need an organized excursion to have a nice day.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Forums mobile app

It is very easy to just get off the ship and walk into town - you are right there. There is shopping, etc. But we really enjoyed taking the Jitney around the island - lots to see for $1.25. You can check out the port reviews by the CC staff, they have all the sites listed. And there is always tripadvisor.

I agree with dalgirl - there are plenty of things to see in Nassau on foot.

Here is a link to Frommer's walking tour of Nassau, which lists many historical sites:

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/new-providence/722464

and the map that goes with it:

http://www.frommers.com/images/destinations/maps/jpg-2006/470640-mp0401newprovidence.jpg

Will be in Nassau in Feb. 7AM to 2PM. Would like to see sights in Nassau: Gov. House (change of guards, time?), climb Queen's Staircase, Ft. Fincastle & Ft. Charlotte. Also see the Dig and Predator Lagoon in Atlantis. Considering the RCL-sponsored excurs. to Atlantis: is it worth the $59pp to book thru the ship? Is it worth our time to see Atlantis? The ship's excur. takes from 9:30 - noon. Does that leave any time to explore the sights in town? If so, can we do it on foot? Or can we do it all on our own? Two couples. Thanks

Bus does take US dollars, but we made sure to have exact change to make it easy for the driver. As for seeing the city sites and Atlantis, a couple on our bus talked with the driver about going to Atlantis, but there really was no time to do both well. They also sailed at 2pm. I would choose one or the other. Everyone we interacted with could not have been more helpful and friendly.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Forums mobile app

When we were there in October we went to the Queens staircase and Fort Fincastle. Pretty neat places to see for the history. Didn't do everything on the Frommers list but enough to satisfy our curiosity. Then hit the Straw Market and Senor Frogs then on to Junkanoo Beach so my daughter could swim for awhile. Easily done in an afternoon.

Thanks for the info especially the jitney, does it go all over the downtown area?

I found a great phone app, you can download it for free and plan your own walking tour, great thing is the app works offline so no need for wifi or roaming. I bought the $3.99 upgrade since I wanted a very detailed map.

http://www.gpsmycity.com/apps/nassau-walking-tours-176.html

It is very easy to just get off the ship and walk into town - you are right there. There is shopping, etc. But we really enjoyed taking the Jitney around the island - lots to see for $1.25. You can check out the port reviews by the CC staff, they have all the sites listed. And there is always tripadvisor.

Are you able to see much of the island on the jitney? And does the driver narrate

Thanks for the info especially the jitney, does it go all over the downtown area?

It doesn't go through downtown. The #10 bus starts at Bay Street and George Street and takes you along the waterfront to Cable Beach.

Are you able to see much of the island on the jitney? And does the driver narrate

It's just a local bus not a tour bus, but many tourists use it too because it's cheap and convenient if they are going to Cable Beach or along that route.

It doesn't go through downtown. The #10 bus starts at Bay Street and George Street and takes you along the waterfront to Cable Beach.

It's just a local bus not a tour bus, but many tourists use it too because it's cheap and convenient if they are going to Cable Beach or along that route.

Do you have a suggestion for the tour or just do it on our own?

Thanks for letting us know what you did in Nassau. We were there in February and did a tour through Carnival (Island and Glass bottom boat tour). This time around we'll have our older children with us (22 & 19) and my in-laws. We're looking for something that will fulfill everyone's wants.

This thread was very helpful. I am traveling with a group of 7 ladies so there is a variety of interests, $$ spendiing level interest & physical ability. Most have never cruised before at all. I have, but not to the Bahamas so I am trying to set up things where we can do some things together but everyone has an opportunity to get from the trip what they desire. Lots of options suggested here without breaking the bank and still offers the variety we need. Thanks!

Edited by beachfan3

• 2 months later...

I have just got back from my trip and thought I would share what I did for the benefit of others.

Firstly it's an easy and straight forward walk from the dock to downtown Nassau. Nassau is small and there are a few sites to sea - I took a print out of the following just to give us a few things to head for

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/new-providence/722464

We also booked a food walking tour through Viator.com which was great, i did think it was a little expensive when i booked it but there was 5 stops included which all included something to eat (ranging from a chocolate to a whole Bahamian meal). If you would rather book directly with the Company they are at:

http://trubahamianfoodtours.com/

Overall a very easy cruise stop with some home/American comforts like Dunkin Doughnuts. If you do the food tour first you get a good sense of direction.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 1 month later...
Hilton Day pass is $60 thru Island Marketing, $65 same day at the front desk. Pass includes a $40 voucher for food and drinks at the Patio Grill.

Hilton is a small private business hotel.. not a resort.

Most people enjoy the quiet serenity, relax in the hammocks or day beds, read or just chill out.

If you are looking to be entertained.. this is not the place.

Hi Scubagirrl - We are Oasis May 31 and will be at Nassau on Sunday. My DD 18 wants to do the swim with dolphins excursion. When I looked at reviews Blue Lagoon was better than Atlantis. Blue Lagoon is sold out for pre booking and it is expensive. Also, my 2 boys don't care one way or other if they do it and its too expensive if not on your bucket list.

My question is do you think the Blue Lagoon dolphin swim is great and worth the money? We are in port 7-2. Also thinking of doing our own walking tour - will a lot be closed on Sunday.

I would love any recommendation from you.

Thank you