Can you walk to Majahual?

boowaaccaa

Can you walk to Majahual?

We have an infant. And we love to walk. We don't want to lug our car seat in order to get in a taxi cab.

Thanks! :)

Yes, you can walk to Mahahual. It takes about 30 to 40 minutes. I have done it once but it was very hot. If you decided to walk, I would stop at a shop outside the gate and get some cheap water. Not too sure if I would recommend it with a child as it can be very hot and there is really not much to see except mangroves which were destroyed by a hurricane a few years ago. I never walk it anymore since the taxi ride is only $2 to $3 each way.

Plus if you walk you can't really go directly along the shore line and once along the shore it's very rocky until almost tot he lighthouse. The main throughfare is heavily traveled with vehicular traffic including commercial trucking and lack of adequate sidewalks the whole way. Plus you have to cross the main north south highway or walk along the shoulder until you get to the PeMex station. With an infant, I wouldn't suggest it. but it can be done.

It is an interesting walk if you choose to do it and know how. The first 15 minutes after you leave the port is best done from the walking trail that goes down the center of that main street Crewsweeper was describing. Check this blog for photos and more detail. http://ahhhmahahual.wordpress.com/2012/11/21/great-use-of-median-strips-in-mahahual/ Most do not even know that trail exists but it is a gravel trail with lots of foliage, birds, butterfly's and so forth. Don't try a stroller on the trail though. It is heavily wooded so plenty of shade and log benches to sit an rest. Right before the highway portion of the walk, about 15 minutes into the walk, there are a couple small stores to get water if you need it right before the highway. There is no Pemex, it is 2 miles the opposite direction as you are leaving the town, but the trail ends at the highway. The walk along the shoulder is as described above, wetland mangrove trying to recover from major hurricane damage 6 years ago. That walk is not unsafe, the shoulder is wide, but it is in the sun and not much to see unless you like wetlands. It takes 5 minutes. The last part of the walk is along the ocean. You'll see the lighthouse as you start down the highway. Walk towards it. The malecon starts there and there is a small navy base there. You can see the entire downtown oceanfront from that location. Also good snorkeling in that same area before you go into town!

The issue is the car seat with a taxi. We are travelling in January. How hot is it? We can walk for hours in 80 degree temp but 90 and up maybe is the limit. Thanks for the ideas though.

The trail sounds great but we would prefer to take the stroller so my son has shade. So that may be out. I do have a carrier that he is very used to (kinda like a backpack) but no shade option.

• 2 weeks later...

I personally would NOT walk. It CAN be done but I wouldnt, I think its to far. I understand what you are saying about lugging the car seat but just take the bus and put the baby on your lap. The bus is out of the back of the shopping complex. They sell tickets for like $3. Now with that being said you may be thinking you would never put your child in a moving vehicle without a car seat and I totally understand I am the same way with my child and I worked in accident investigation for a city police dept for 11 years so I DO NOT take this lightly. However you are taking a 2 lane road to get there maybe a 7 min ride if that on a road where there is barely any traffic. Only other taxis are on the road, you are not driving through any type of populated area at all

I honestly do not even drive in a parking lot here in the US without buckling my daughter into her seat but we have driven on the bus there and a taxi back 3 or 4 times in Costa Maya with no worries. But if you feel strongly about it you are not walking that far with the car seat to get to the bus and then from the bus to the beach area. The bus only takes you though you have to take a taxi back to the port. Hope this helps and have fun! Costa Maya is our fav port! The beach is awesome and even when the water was rough where the boat was docked it was not at Majahual its beautiful! Do however keep track of what you drink and what food you eat, everytime we have went they always try to charge us for an extra drink etc even though we have went to a different place on the beach everytime so just keep track because they do try to be slick and slip something extra in :) Also, do get the massage for $20ish an hour!

It is an interesting walk if you choose to do it and know how. The first 15 minutes after you leave the port is best done from the walking trail that goes down the center of that main street Crewsweeper was describing. Check this blog for photos and more detail. http://ahhhmahahual.wordpress.com/2012/11/21/great-use-of-median-strips-in-mahahual/ Most do not even know that trail exists but it is a gravel trail with lots of foliage, birds, butterfly's and so forth. Don't try a stroller on the trail though. It is heavily wooded so plenty of shade and log benches to sit an rest. Right before the highway portion of the walk, about 15 minutes into the walk, there are a couple small stores to get water if you need it right before the highway. There is no Pemex, it is 2 miles the opposite direction as you are leaving the town, but the trail ends at the highway. The walk along the shoulder is as described above, wetland mangrove trying to recover from major hurricane damage 6 years ago. That walk is not unsafe, the shoulder is wide, but it is in the sun and not much to see unless you like wetlands. It takes 5 minutes. The last part of the walk is along the ocean. You'll see the lighthouse as you start down the highway. Walk towards it. The malecon starts there and there is a small navy base there. You can see the entire downtown oceanfront from that location. Also good snorkeling in that same area before you go into town!

So a total of 20 mintues of walking? (15 on the trail and 5 on the highway)

I personally would NOT walk. It CAN be done but I wouldnt, I think its to far. I understand what you are saying about lugging the car seat but just take the bus and put the baby on your lap. The bus is out of the back of the shopping complex. They sell tickets for like $3. Now with that being said you may be thinking you would never put your child in a moving vehicle without a car seat and I totally understand I am the same way with my child and I worked in accident investigation for a city police dept for 11 years so I DO NOT take this lightly. However you are taking a 2 lane road to get there maybe a 7 min ride if that on a road where there is barely any traffic. Only other taxis are on the road, you are not driving through any type of populated area at all

I honestly do not even drive in a parking lot here in the US without buckling my daughter into her seat but we have driven on the bus there and a taxi back 3 or 4 times in Costa Maya with no worries. But if you feel strongly about it you are not walking that far with the car seat to get to the bus and then from the bus to the beach area. The bus only takes you though you have to take a taxi back to the port. Hope this helps and have fun! Costa Maya is our fav port! The beach is awesome and even when the water was rough where the boat was docked it was not at Majahual its beautiful! Do however keep track of what you drink and what food you eat, everytime we have went they always try to charge us for an extra drink etc even though we have went to a different place on the beach everytime so just keep track because they do try to be slick and slip something extra in :) Also, do get the massage for $20ish an hour!

How far is too far? I literally walked for hours in the summer here when our baby was smaller. Walking does not bother me in the least. Perhaps we will follow the trail there as the other poster suggested and if we find it too hot take the cab back like your suggestion.

Edited by boowaaccaa
spelling

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We took this trail and walked. It took us longer then this suggestion, a total of 45 minutes each way. Also the stroller was not an issue on the trail. It was a pretty hot walk. My DH was eagar to get back to the ship so we didn't spend much time there. Just walked the strip. If we had of stopped and had a drink (we did buy drinks at a store but kept on walking) it would have been better but DH doesn't like all the people harrasing you. We brought water for the baby and he didn't mind the walk at all - slept on the walk there and the walk back. Ended up swimming in the pool at the port to cool down.