Adult life jackets - 1 size doesn't fit all

luvdaislands

Well said, and I take back my flippant comment about jumping off holding the strap.

Obesity is the real issue here. Why should some one be so worried for their own life at sea (or in an aircraft) when they are killing themselves prematurely by over eating.

So flame me too

I will do as you ask. That is a really inappropriate comment. How many other people onboard are 'killing themselves prematurely' by smoking, drinking too much, disobeying speed limits, riding motorcycles recklessly, not taking their doctor prescribed medications correctly, etc., etc., etc. Are they also not supposed to worry about whether their life vest fits? Your comment is as offensive as it is judgmental. Perhaps this obese person has a health problem, or a mental health problem which causes that obesity. And even if they are obese just because they eat too much, do you really not know that most likely every day for their entire life they are wishing they could get their act together and follow the correct diet and do the right exercise to solve their problem so they won't have to struggle with their burden, and won't have people rudely judging them who have no right to do so??

Correct.

Life vests weren't required at muster on our recent Century cruise nor the Eclipse one we did in December of last year.:)

i don't know of any line that requires lifevests worn to the drill,, but we usually put ours on in the cabin - its a simulation drill which helps in the event of a rare mishap. Just "lets see how this works" when there is no stress, so that you can react quickly if disaster strikes. Familiarity with how to put one on may save your life someday. it can also lead to some individuals finding the vest don't fit, and asking what to do in the event of a real emergency.

i don't know of any line that requires lifevests worn to the drill,, but we usually put ours on in the cabin - its a simulation drill which helps in the event of a rare mishap. Just "lets see how this works" when there is no stress, so that you can react quickly if disaster strikes. Familiarity with how to put one on may save your life someday. it can also lead to some individuals finding the vest don't fit, and asking what to do in the event of a real emergency.

We have not had to wear them at muster on the Princess and RC cruises we've done in the past few years.

Trying them on is a good idea for novice cruiser.

The ship's staff always have a demonstration of putting one on at the muster and if one has been on a number of cruise, especially going back more than a few years to when you did have to wear them at muster, they should know the routine and whether the fit might be a concern for them.;)

Edited by robtulipe