Prices reductions after final payment date

clonegirl

My husband and I are thinking about taking our family (us plus 4 kids) on a cruise over spring break. As of Tuesday, there were 5 family oceanview rooms available. I'm debating whether to book now or wait till January 1 since December 31st is final payment date. Do fares typically drop after final payment date? Is it worth the risk waiting another 13 days? Wondering how many people plan vacations during the busy holiday season. Advice? Thanks!

Prices can drop, prices can rise. It's really a guessing game based on demand. Just know that any about of money you might save with a drop, you might also cost yourself the same or more if it jumps. I usually suggest deciding if you're comfortable with the price currently. If you are, then book and and be done.

I've been watching my upcoming (tomorrow) Indy cruise for the last 3 months.

Over the last month there have been a number of drops, even as recently as yesterday. Insides and outsides were the most common drops, especially in these final weeks. Insides came down about 30% from a month ago, outsides a little less than that.

Balconies and suites stayed expensive no matter what. Some small drops, but nothing like I saw with insides and outsides.

Now if your cruise was cheap to begin with, I can't guarantee the drops will be this significant. If the cruise is a busy one, you better be watching inventory closely.

That being said, drops can happen at any time. I got my fare for my 12/27/2014 New Years cruise (inside cabin) reduced by almost 10% today with a price drop that just happened. I also could have upgraded to an outside for only $10 more.

Thanks for the advice. It's definitely not a cheap fare, but I'm not sure that even exists with the family staterooms. We checked into adjoining ocean view and there's no guarantees left. We don't want to risk not having adjoining cabins. I wish we could watch the prices online for the family staterooms, but you have to call in for quotes as far as I know.

Thanks for the advice. It's definitely not a cheap fare, but I'm not sure that even exists with the family staterooms. We checked into adjoining ocean view and there's no guarantees left. We don't want to risk not having adjoining cabins. I wish we could watch the prices online for the family staterooms, but you have to call in for quotes as far as I know.

If family staterooms are not booked after a certain point (and that is a moving target, not a specific time), RC will put them online as available to book by anyone.

In your shoes - with 13 days to go until final payment date - I would wait to book. I would take the chance that prices would not go up, and may go down.

:)