Which Ship for Caribbean

RocketMan275

Feels like home? Something very comfortable?

You have selected precise words to describe these two beautiful ships.

None of other resort ships (any cruise line) are as comfortable and as "sweet as home" like these two.

They are sister ships with minimal difference in design.

What is different - decor.

Both ships follow maritime theme in decor that alone right away sets them apart everything else (except Cunard).

The Eurodam is maritime theme + everything Rembrandt.

The Nieuw Amsterdam is maritime theme + everything New York.

Both ships display extensive and elegant artwork collections.

Both ships are full of fresh flowers.

The Eurodam is a bit more relaxed, informal - largerly through naugty faces of Rembtandt that are following you here and there.

Small art deco forms are playing with bold colors/contrast and shapes - from Piano bar to the central chandelier. This style leaves more space for phantasy and mysteries.

The Nieuw Amsterdam is somewhat more polished and trendy.

Niuew Amsterdam decor details are enspired by everything New York (steel, glass and concrete), while the abstructions of the Eurodam are closer to live nature.

Most notable difference in decor is found in MDR. I would add: and Lido buffet.

Overall the Eurodam feels a little bit warmer, homier.

The food in the Lido buffet on the Eurodam (5*+) tastes like "with a little bit more heart and love added" vs the Nieuw Amsterdam ("only" 5*).

For the readers that are not familiar with the product: we are splitting hairs.

Both ships are outstanding.

L - Eurodam

R - Nieuw Amsterdam

xlgjnd.jpg

2ujibn6.jpg

Thank you for your insights but I don't think either of those ships will work for us. Really like the aft balconies.

Do you mean on the stern? If so, you might look into the suites with the wrap-around Veranda...they're on all Vista and Signature ships.

We did the NA and as far as décor goes, it was my favorite...loved the use of color and the somewhat edgy art on her. She's a very pretty ship.

DW and I are recently retired. Both are active and in our mid to late sixties. One cruise on Royal and another scheduled on Princess. Would really like to try Holland. Thinking about an Eastern Caribbean cruise of seven days in 2015. Which ship would you recommend? Currently choices are: Eurodam, Nieuw Amsterdam, or Westerdam. Most likely booking a suite. Aft preferred.

So far, heard a lot of very positive comments on Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam. Doesn't anyone like Westerdam?

I know it sounds weird, but a lot of people I've spoken to, share the same feeling. It's not something we can explain. It's just the Eurodam had something special over her.

I can't determine it by words. It's a feeling you got about a certain place.

But I know this is most likely a personal feeling and some other people might have the same feeling about the N. Amsterdam

It's so interesting the people who comment about Nieuw Amsterdam vs. sister ship Eurodam. We've sailed two cruises on NA and five on Eurodam. For an unidentifiable reason, for no specific reason, DH and I prefer Eurodam. We were more 'comfortable' and like the feeling of Eurodam more. NOT that there is anything wrong with NA, as there is not..... that I know of.

We've also sailed Westerdam and all her sisters and really like the Vistas ships a lot.

Tamarind and Silk Den are the defining differences. They are two wonderful venues.

So far, heard a lot of very positive comments on Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam. Doesn't anyone like Westerdam?

DH and I like Westerdam just fine but we sail in Neptune Suites which have use of Neptune Lounge. The snacks and munchies offered on Westerdam are not the same as on all the other ships. There are various explanations for it but until they offer the same on Westerdam, it wouldn't be my choice to sail in our "SA" cabin on that ship. Doesn't seem like a big deal to many (most ?) but why settle for less when one can have more on other ships?

It is true, and a large colorful photo carefully positioned not to show the cabanas very well does not change anything. Your photo does serve the purpose of showing how crowded it is for everyone else around the Lido pool because of the loss of public space, and that loss includes ocean viewing windows.

The following CC thread shows better photos of the Lido pool cabanas on the Signature class ships:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1435656

Likewise, conjecture does not make a space ratio. It has to be measured. Here are some published space ratio figures:

http://travel.travelocity.com/ecruise/ShipFinder.do

It is moot to discuss what is or is not included as long as the numbers are consistent. Most HAL ships have very similar architecture and so the differences in the ratios are real, plus the difference in overall head count is real.

Having said that, there are people who like bigger ships with more amenities and others who prefer smaller ships. Let the facts stand clearly (no deceptive photos) and let them decide for themselves.

igraf

This is not true.

Unfortunately inaccurate information is still coming.

The Signature class ships are Vista class derivatives, but the difference is very serious.

More passenger cabins were added along with new public spaces and significant increase in open deck space.

The Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam now are two best ships in HAL fleet.

Moreover, with the introduction of these two ships Holland America Line entered the first row of the industry best modern resort ships.

Cabanas on Lido deck is nothing to talk about.

Yes, there are a few cabanas there, and I would remove them today if it were up to my decision.

HOWEVER, those cabanas are never a "loss of one side of the Lido pool deck".

They take just a fraction of that space and are not an issue.

The post above is misleading.

Some readers may think about those cabanas found on Celebrity ships and the Royal Princess that take up premium public space.

This is not the case with HAL ships.

Space ratio.

It has been explained so many times that open space (sun decks and pools) that is the most precious space in tropical cruises are not included in space ratio calculation.

They exist, we use them actively but they are not included.

Besides the added Tamarind restaurant and Silk Den lounge, the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam have significantly larger open decks.

Back to cabanas.

Signature class ships have Retreat Cabanas area that has been designed (originally) for that purpose.

Vista class ships are being retrofitted with cabanas. For those ships cabanas are an afterthought. And this is the Vista class where cabanas actually take up deck space. More passenger cabins are being added as well.

So please forget about passenger space ratio comparison.

Please take time to look at the comparison. Some changes are closely related to aft suites you are going to book.

:) Lido Deck. Find a Cabana :)

24d4pr6.jpg

Edited by igraf

It is true, and a large colorful photo carefully positioned not to show the cabanas very well does not change anything. Your photo does serve the purpose of showing how crowded it is for everyone else around the Lido pool because of the loss of public space, and that loss includes ocean viewing windows.

igraf

:)

The photo is carefully positioned to show the central pool area.

Cabanas are not concerned at all because they are almost invisible.

s42w7t.jpg

This what was posted:

The private cabanas on public decks would be my reason NOT to take the Nieuw Amsterdam or Eurodam. It is hard for me to see the loss of one side of the Lido pool deck as a plus.

This is how cabanas are located on Lido Deck. Is this area marked in pink what prevents you from cruising on the Nieuw Amsterdam?

Of course it's up to you...

2e3tzyu.jpg

It is moot to discuss what is or is not included as long as the numbers are consistent. Most HAL ships have very similar architecture and so the differences in the ratios are real, plus the difference in overall head count is real.

We compare certain ships with certain defferences in architecture.

Having said that, there are people who like bigger ships with more amenities and others who prefer smaller ships. Let the facts stand clearly (no deceptive photos) and let them decide for themselves.

Preferences are not discussed.

Please keep your facts straight.

Photos are always helpful.

Edited by cruisetrail

I do. Or, at least I did when I sailed on her. I would always take the Westerdam over her two bigger sisters (I've sailed the E-dam). Those ships are just too large, with no comfortable place to just hang out, especially outdoors in the shade.

For some reason, the Promenade Deck just doesn't have that comfy "feel" that other ships do.

I do. Or, at least I did when I sailed on her. I would always take the Westerdam over her two bigger sisters (I've sailed the E-dam). Those ships are just too large, with no comfortable place to just hang out, especially outdoors in the shade.

For some reason, the Promenade Deck just doesn't have that comfy "feel" that other ships do.

That's helpful. Wife and I are very 'comfortable just hanging out'. Give us a place to hang out, read a good book in a quiet setting, maybe with a glass of wine, and we're just fine.

It looks like we are playing a game "Best myth about Signature class ships".

As the OP knows, the Signature class are "added value".

Of course, pictures of comfortable places to hang out and shady promende are ready. I simply don't want to convert this thread into a Signature class review.

I would rather do it in my thread I am working on. :)

Edited by cruisetrail

It looks like we are playing a game "Best myth about Signature class ships".

As the OP knows, the Signature class are "added value".

Of course, pictures of comfortable places to hang out and shady promende are ready. I simply don't want to convert this thread into a Signature class review.

I would rather do it in my thread I am working on. :)

Yes, yes. We all know you are besotted with the Signature Class ships. Not everyone is, and for some very valid reasons. We have a right to a differing opinion. :rolleyes:

Of course we do.

I just want to say that I am in awe looking at this statement that is not applicable to Signature ships:

Those ships are just too large, with no comfortable place to just hang out, especially outdoors in the shade.

Edited by cruisetrail

Of course we do.

I just want to say that I am in awe looking at this statement that is not applicable to Signature ships:

Those ships are just too large, with no comfortable place to just hang out, especially outdoors in the shade.

IN YOUR OPINION.

That's what you don't get: The statement may not be "applicable" for you, but that's your opinion, and is not shared by everyone.

Just because you can find a comfortable place to hang out does not mean that everyone can.

If you wish to discuss the cabanas then use a photo that shows the cabanas.

The lido cabanas are almost invisible????

igraf

The photo is carefully positioned to show the central pool area.

Cabanas are not concerned at all because they are almost invisible.

Edited by igraf

Prefer the Eurodam. We like:

• Tamarind
  • Retreat Cabanas
  • Decor
  • "Feel" of the ship.

We also enjoy the Vista Class ships, especially the Noordam, but we would not choose the Westerdam for the same reasons as was given by a previous poster - the lack of some of the amenities in the Neptune Lounge. Yes, it may seem like a small thing to some, but it's our $$$$ so it's our choice. :)

IN YOUR OPINION.

That's what you don't get: The statement may not be "applicable" for you, but that's your opinion, and is not shared by everyone.

Just because you can find a comfortable place to hang out does not mean that everyone can.

I don't get?? :)

No problem.

Let's see.

Two questions I should have asked but did not:

What comfortable place to just hang out, especially outdoors in the shade is available on the Westerdam and not available on the Signature class ships?

What comfortable place to just hang out, especially outdoors in the shade is available on the the Signature class ships and not available on the Westerdam?

Edited by cruisetrail

None of other resort ships (any cruise line) are as comfortable and as "sweet as home" like these two.

Both ships follow maritime theme in decor that alone right away sets them apart everything else (except Cunard).

The Eurodam is a bit more relaxed, informal - largerly through naugty faces of Rembtandt that are following you here and there.

Small art deco forms are playing with bold colors/contrast and shapes - from Piano bar to the central chandelier. This style leaves more space for phantasy and mysteries.

Niuew Amsterdam decor details are enspired by everything New York (steel, glass and concrete), while the abstructions of the Eurodam are closer to live nature.

The food in the Lido buffet on the Eurodam (5*+) tastes like "with a little bit more heart and love added" vs the Nieuw Amsterdam ("only" 5*).

L - Eurodam

R - Nieuw Amsterdam

xlgjnd.jpg

2ujibn6.jpg

Thanks cruisetrail for all this analysis. I truly enjoyed this comparison :)

Hi, can you tell me which ship has the best nightly entertainment (production shows). Also, which has more to do on sea days (rather than gambling, sunbathing, bingo). Like to be kept busy on sea days. Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

L - Eurodam

R - Nieuw Amsterdam

xlgjnd.jpg

2ujibn6.jpg

If we could, we would book both ships. We can only cruise once in 2014 and we've already booked Caribbean Princess. So, after much thought, we've booked a cruise on Eurodam March 2015. It was a close call and I honestly don't see how a cruise on either of these fine ships would be anything but wonderful.

Thanks to all those who've contributed to this discussion.