Allure of the Seas Western observations, good, bad, and otherwise

LMaxwell

Thank you so much...I know it is silly, but I really do like to look down and see ocean:)

Not silly at all; perfectly reasonable question and one of the reasons this website is a great resource for research and planning.

I included the "bad" because, well, it was the truth and any review should hit on all aspects of the vacation. We both understood that problems happen, electronics are not infallible, and batteries die. It was never adequately addressed WHY there was a breakdown in communications between the departments but ultimately onboard management looked to do things to keep us loyal.

I do want to make mention of the Meet & Greet. This was well attended and I got to chat with some folks that I then saw throughout the week. Royal Caribbean does a nice job hosting these events, which they really do not HAVE to do. I did not receive an invitation to the event even though we signed up but this did not present a problem, it seemed some did and some did not receive the invitation.

They used Dazzles lounge and provided coffee, pastries, cheese. Then a few members from the cruise directors staff spoke to everyone and held a raffle of prizes. They gave everyone that attended a notepad. I won a raffle of a mid-level prize which was a pen, highlighter, hat, coffee tumbler and book about the Allure. Others won similar prizes and I think a few got champagne. Nice touch by the cruise line in my opinion.

Really enjoyed your review, honest and to the point. I agree that when posting a review, it should cover all aspects of the cruise experience. Not every cruise is perfect or disastrous in every aspect, and you pointed out both extremely well.

Still haven't sailed Oasis/Allure, and not sure if I really want to, but did enjoy our FOS cruise in September.

2nd - Billing at Chops. Made reservation; was told it was $30 PP. Got a receipt; $60 for us as a couple. Signed it. Added a generous tip of $25 (Emrah really did deserve it). Later in the week I saw that they reversed the $60 charge and then charged me $70 instead. I called Guest Services who referred me to Chops. The Chops manager said I was undercharged. What?! Never heard of that in my life. Sorry, you told me a price, I agreed, I signed a receipt. That doesn't give anyone the right to go back and raise the price after and tack it on to my account without so much as a phone call or note. TACKY.

Thanks for the very helpful and honest review. We are on the Allure this Sunday for the New Years cruise. Your note about Chops made me look back at our reservation, and I did find that our reservation also only cost $30 per person. I then looked online and see that within our reservation (if we want to make another reservation) it now says that the cost for reserving Chops is $35 per person. I hope this isn't an issue. I'll definitely bring a printout of our reservation and pricing email - hope that helps. :rolleyes:

On the plus side, there is also a note in our reservation that for parties of 4 or more, there is a 30% discount ($35 * 70% = $24.50), so I'll also be asking about that option when we get on board!! :D

Really looking forward to the cruise, and will do our best to have a great time!!!

We had the same issues with the lock on the cabin on the Explorer. We had to go to guest Services at least four different times until they finally replaced the Lock mechanism. Our poor cabin steward seemed to be in the hallway every time we had a lock issue, I wish I had a dime each time she apologized .

Great job on the review. We havent been on Oasis class ship but really like the Freedom class and may stick to those. I would suggest your fiancee might want to keep her medication with her if its that time critical. The situation with security is totally unacceptable but being reduced to tears is a little much. Glad you enjoyed the trip overall and made the best of it.

I disagree. No one would EVER expect (no reasonable human being that I have ever encountered in my many years on earth) to be unable to access his/her own cabin for HOURS (don't know what time LMaxwell's show finished) until TWO A.M. Saying that she should have been carrying her medicine in this instance is not within the bounds of normal behavior. Even overly-cautious behavior.

I disagree. No one would EVER expect (no reasonable human being that I have ever encountered in my many years on earth) to be unable to access his/her own cabin for HOURS (don't know what time LMaxwell's show finished) until TWO A.M. Saying that she should have been carrying her medicine in this instance is not within the bounds of normal behavior. Even overly-cautious behavior.

Really? Ever hear of fire? If needed I can name the many many reasons someone might not be able to get to their cabin for a cpl hours. As someone with medical training I can you that is a very bad assumption. Overly cautious I think not.

Thanks for the very helpful and honest review. We are on the Allure this Sunday for the New Years cruise. Your note about Chops made me look back at our reservation, and I did find that our reservation also only cost $30 per person. I then looked online and see that within our reservation (if we want to make another reservation) it now says that the cost for reserving Chops is $35 per person. I hope this isn't an issue. I'll definitely bring a printout of our reservation and pricing email - hope that helps. :rolleyes:

On the plus side, there is also a note in our reservation that for parties of 4 or more, there is a 30% discount ($35 * 70% = $24.50), so I'll also be asking about that option when we get on board!! :D

Really looking forward to the cruise, and will do our best to have a great time!!!

Just a note: I was just on the Allure, and I noticed that the pricing for Chops was inconsistent in various places. It said 30 in some places, and 35 in others. It seemed to be mixed up with the price for Samba Grill. (Cruise Compass, on the TV, etc.) Best to check with the crew at Chops.

Just a note: I was just on the Allure, and I noticed that the pricing for Chops was inconsistent in various places. It said 30 in some places, and 35 in others. It seemed to be mixed up with the price for Samba Grill. (Cruise Compass, on the TV, etc.) Best to check with the crew at Chops.

Even RCI's website says $30. We called direct to Chops to book and were told $30. If we were told $35 that would have been fine as well. But to tell me $30, have me sign a receipt, then go back AFTER the fact and raise the price without so much as a phone call, note to the room, or any sort of communication is unacceptable to me. I would not tolerate that from any land based establishment, nor from any cruiseline. It's bad business to try to stick a customer for $10 per couple.

Even RCI's website says $30. We called direct to Chops to book and were told $30. If we were told $35 that would have been fine as well. But to tell me $30, have me sign a receipt, then go back AFTER the fact and raise the price without so much as a phone call, note to the room, or any sort of communication is unacceptable to me. I would not tolerate that from any land based establishment, nor from any cruiseline. It's bad business to try to stick a customer for $10 per couple.

I completely agree. If they charged you 30 when the price is actually 35, it is their mistake and they should own up to it. Even to inform you that they mischarged you and to then re-charge the correct amount is bad business. Sometimes I find that RCI lacks consistent customer service. Even now I do not know what the correct price is... it sounds like they made a recent change but did not communicate it clearly to all channels.

Really? Ever hear of fire? If needed I can name the many many reasons someone might not be able to get to their cabin for a cpl hours. As someone with medical training I can you that is a very bad assumption. Overly cautious I think not.

You make a valid point. I was merely relaying my experience and laying out the facts for everyone as well as my opinion of how this was handled. If there was a fire or some other shipwide issue not getting to the room would be understandable as all would be under the same duress. But to have something as routine as a lock failure expose huge breakdowns in shipboard communications is something else entirely. I felt bad for poor Shuwan from guest services who was become visibily frustrated and upset at constantly being hung up on by other departments aboard the ship. She was rattled.

I generally carry my Seapass and NOTHING else. Now I will be more cognizant and think twice. I won't walk around the ship with a backpack stocked for all possibilities because that just isn't practical, but if there is a dosage of medication needed and it can be carried easily perhaps it should be. I did not feel like anyone here was picking on me for what happened, just putting in some helpful comments. I did not know what to make of the comment about my fiancee crying, but keep in mind this was her first Royal Caribbean experience and she was having the time of her life until this event. When it is 2AM and you're fully aware that Guest Services has no power to help you, you might feel just like she did.

Yes, we will be married this March and are spending our honeymoon 10 nights abord Legend of the Seas. I greatly look forward to it. I am hoping RCI actually follows through with the promised compensation. If that could be converted to OBC for our honeymoon that would really be nice and would allow us some nice excursions.

I completely agree with you bchalker. My mum takes medication, some very time dependant but some not before bedtime. However, she has pill boxes and at least keeps all of her current days on her incase of an unexpected emergency or delay. When you are dependant on the medication and especially when you are not in familiar surroundings, it is always wise to keep it with you if you are able to do so.

I can understand why some people don't carry their medication and on that front I am pleased that everything eventually worked out ok for OP's fiance.

Jo :)

Edited by jo24

You make a valid point. I was merely relaying my experience and laying out the facts for everyone as well as my opinion of how this was handled. If there was a fire or some other shipwide issue not getting to the room would be understandable as all would be under the same duress. But to have something as routine as a lock failure expose huge breakdowns in shipboard communications is something else entirely. I felt bad for poor Shuwan from guest services who was become visibily frustrated and upset at constantly being hung up on by other departments aboard the ship. She was rattled.

I generally carry my Seapass and NOTHING else. Now I will be more cognizant and think twice. I won't walk around the ship with a backpack stocked for all possibilities because that just isn't practical, but if there is a dosage of medication needed and it can be carried easily perhaps it should be. I did not feel like anyone here was picking on me for what happened, just putting in some helpful comments. I did not know what to make of the comment about my fiancee crying, but keep in mind this was her first Royal Caribbean experience and she was having the time of her life until this event. When it is 2AM and you're fully aware that Guest Services has no power to help you, you might feel just like she did.

Yes, we will be married this March and are spending our honeymoon 10 nights abord Legend of the Seas. I greatly look forward to it. I am hoping RCI actually follows through with the promised compensation. If that could be converted to OBC for our honeymoon that would really be nice and would allow us some nice excursions.

Congrats on your future marriage. Glad you had a good trip despite how badly RC security handled the situation. Also glad RC seems to be trying to make things right for you and hopefully they will fix whatever happened with security. If guest services is there with you I dont see why maintenance wont open the door. They are lucky you didnt just kick the door open then maint could fix that too! :)

Thanks. I'll be sure not to miss it.

In reference to the Blue Planet show...we left after 10 minutes. We felt if we could fast forward it we would because it was so painstakingly slow. To each their own. We loved everything else about the cruise (except our cabin steward, but that's another story for another post).

Edited by Bicster
grammar