Making up formula on board

Moomin2009

Now I'm almost organised for Christmas my mind is leaping ahead to our cruise on 11 Jan.

Our youngest is only going to be 5mths on the cruise so will obviously be having a lot of formula. The formula we use isn't available in the US so we will be bringing it over with us, 2 weeks worth of ready made cartons would be rather heavy, so I was hoping to be able to use powder.

Will I be able to get boiled water on the ship and if so what is the best place to do so ?

Now I'm almost organised for Christmas my mind is leaping ahead to our cruise on 11 Jan.

Our youngest is only going to be 5mths on the cruise so will obviously be having a lot of formula. The formula we use isn't available in the US so we will be bringing it over with us, 2 weeks worth of ready made cartons would be rather heavy, so I was hoping to be able to use powder.

Will I be able to get boiled water on the ship and if so what is the best place to do so ?

I don't know how close to "boiled" it will be, but there is hot water always available at the drink station (for tea & hot chocolate). Same with room service or at meals. One note, sometimes the water from the tap in our room has been very hot.

Why does it need to be boiled? The water onboard is processed the same as bottled water - reverse osmosis and filtered.

So the point of boiling is to kill any bacteria....the ship's water is purified by reverse osmosis and then filtered. It is more "pure" than bottled waters.

That said, you can have a gallon of distilled water delivered to your room by completing the "special needs" form on DCL's web site. You can also get water that has been boiled for tea delivered from room service 24/7 in addition to the tea water from the beverage station or dining room. If you explain to your server what you need, he can bring you a carafe of boiled water at each meal which you can then take to your room.

I wouldn't be comfortable using water straight from the tap, even if it has been purified, it is so ingrained in to me that it has to be boiled that I would be so worried she would get ill and then blame myself (paranoid mother reporting for duty)

Getting a carafe of boiled water from the server probably sounds the best approach. I would never have thought of asking so thank you.

I would not recommend using the tap water in your cabin for mixing baby formula. The water onboard is treated with chlorine, and I'm not sure that would be good for an infant. Yes, the boiling is to kill germs but also to drive off unwanted halogens used in municipal water treatment like chlorine, fluorine, and bromine. The residual halogen ions tend to combine into their elemental gases much quicker at higher temperatures.

Also, the distilled water on the ships is not boiled at 212*F (100*C) like on your stove. It is boiled in a vacuum at about 85*C, which reduces salt scale formation on the distilling machinery. This is why even distilled water onboard the ship is treated with chlorine to sanitize it, this low temperature boiling does not kill germs. And further, much of the water onboard is from a Reverse Osmosis watermaker, which does not boil water at all, or from shore sources.

I would recommend that you notify special needs either before you sail, or immediately upon boarding, and notify them of the need for boiled water. The room service crew can provide the water upon request to your cabin from the bell box or the galley.

While I am constantly advising folks here on CC that the water onboard a ship is perfectly safe to drink, if I were cruising with my kids when they needed their formula boiled, I would not have hesitated to ask for this.

Another thank you. From the sounds of it a call to special assistance might be worthwhile before we get on board just in case.

I take it they don't have electric kettles in the cabins and that I wouldn't be allowed to use our own ?

Correct, no electric kettles.

From the DCL website:

Q:What items are not permitted on board?

A:In order to maintain a safe and secure environment for our Guests and crew, the following are examples of items that Guests are not allowed to bring on board. These and other similar items will be confiscated upon being found.

•Electrical appliances such as rice cookers, hot plates, coffee makers, electric irons, bottle sterilizer and bottle warmers, electric blankets, electric blenders, etc. Please note: A limited number of approved bottle warmers and bottle sterilizers are available upon request through Guest Services. Also all ships offer laundry facilities with irons and ironing boards. Valet laundry service is also available for a nominal fee.

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/planning-center/my-cruise-plans/faqs/prohibited-items/prohibited-items/

No to electric kettles.

I never knew that the tea water from the dining room was not really boiled. Interesting. I might verify that.

However, it is easy to get a gallon of distilled water delivered to your room--simply takes a phone call or on line form to have it noted on your reservation. If it isn't there when you get to the room, mention it to the stateroom host.

No to electric kettles.

I never knew that the tea water from the dining room was not really boiled. Interesting. I might verify that.

However' date=' it is easy to get a gallon of distilled water delivered to your room--simply takes a phone call or on line form to have it noted on your reservation. If it isn't there when you get to the room, mention it to the stateroom host.[/quote']

Water from hot water dispensers is not boiled, as this would require constant refilling as the water boiled off. It gets nearly there, around 90-95*F.

Distilled water is not guaranteed sterile as boiled water is. Just bringing water to a boil also does not sterilize it, it must be boiled for 3-5 minutes, if my memory serves.

Distilled water is not guaranteed sterile as boiled water is. Just bringing water to a boil also does not sterilize it, it must be boiled for 3-5 minutes, if my memory serves.

You are correct that some bacteria are more heat tolerant than others, and purification standards are typically 10-20 minutes at 212 F. A medical autoclave is hotter, and temperature must be maintained for 20 minutes.

However, distillation means that the water was boiled to steam, the steam collected, cooled, and placed in a sterile container. Obviously this is done in a closed system where the temperature typically exceeds the boiling point of water. True that no one can prove that it has remained sterile after opening, but it should be free of heavy metals and all but the most resistant bacteria when it is placed in the container.

To OP, the distilled water is NOT ship's water. It is purchased as "distilled water" and made available to guests who require it for medical purposes--CPAP machines, baby formula, etc.

You are correct that some bacteria are more heat tolerant than others' date=' and purification standards are typically 10-20 minutes at 212 F. A medical autoclave is hotter, and temperature must be maintained for 20 minutes.

However, distillation means that the water was boiled to steam, the steam collected, cooled, and placed in a sterile container. Obviously this is done in a closed system where the temperature typically exceeds the boiling point of water. True that no one can prove that it has remained sterile after opening, but it should be free of heavy metals and all but the most resistant bacteria when it is placed in the container.

To OP, the distilled water is NOT ship's water. It is purchased as "distilled water" and made available to guests who require it for medical purposes--CPAP machines, baby formula, etc.[/quote']

I agree with all you say, except, that as I've stated above, water may be boiled in a vacuum (every marine distiller is this type, not sure of shore side), which means that the water boils at a lower temperature than 212*F (at 85% vacuum, where most distillers operate, water boils at 80-85*F). This is why CDC requires that even water produced from a distiller is treated with chlorine. Boiling in a vacuum creates less deposits, and less maintenance, and requires less energy to boil the water, so I would expect that shore distillers are similar to marine ones. There will always be some carry over of water droplets to the steam, and this is where the minute amounts of minerals, salts, and bacteria are introduced into distilled water.

I thought that water for formula no longer had to be sterile, just potable after about 6-8 weeks of age. I know I stopped sterilizing everything including bottles and nipples by 12 weeks at the latest.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

I thought that water for formula no longer had to be sterile, just potable after about 6-8 weeks of age. I know I stopped sterilizing everything including bottles and nipples by 12 weeks at the latest.

Instructions differ in different parts of the world. OP is from the UK and has been instructed to use boiled water. She wishes to continue to follow HER doctor's instructions.

In the US, the instructions given do not typically require sterilization of water or supplies and tap water is typically considered "safe" provided it is from a municipal water system and not from a well. But again, OP can't be faulted for wanting to continue to follow what she has been told to do. And even a different mineral content in the water could result in some tummy gurgling for the baby...just what a mom doesn't need when far from home.

Instructions differ in different parts of the world. OP is from the UK and has been instructed to use boiled water. She wishes to continue to follow HER doctor's instructions.

In the US' date=' the instructions given do not typically require sterilization of water or supplies and tap water is typically considered "safe" provided it is from a municipal water system and not from a well. But again, OP can't be faulted for wanting to continue to follow what she has been told to do. And even a different mineral content in the water could result in some tummy gurgling for the baby...just what a mom doesn't need when far from home.[/quote']

I didn't see where she was instructed to use boiled water. Perhaps she was early on, but I do wonder if a call to the pediatrician might be warranted for clarification.

I didn't see where she was instructed to use boiled water. Perhaps she was early on, but I do wonder if a call to the pediatrician might be warranted for clarification.

Maybe the guidelines for making up formula in the US are different, but in the UK we have to use cooled boiled water. Babies under 6 mths can't drink normal tap water.

I do wonder if you should respect the OP's question, rather than advising her to question the health advice she was given?

Maybe TapaTalk is to blame?

ex techie

I do wonder if you should respect the OP's question, rather than advising her to question the health advice she was given?

Maybe TapaTalk is to blame?

ex techie

Again we don't know if she was given that health advice, which is why I suggested she ask her pediatrician if she will need to use boiled water or not.

95F water is less than half way to being boiled (212F at sea level)

How about using a Steri Pen

http://www.steripen.com/

Water is different in all parts of the world. It has different taste, microbes and organisims. Some municipal water sources are not safe to drink. Maybe where OP is her water isn't safe for young kids.

Distilled water is very off-putting as it has no minerals for taste.

See OP's comments in posts number 3 and 5. Sorry, but I see the best role I can serve here is to offer my advice/experience in how the OP can meet her requests rather than to question whether the requests are valid or consistent with what another professional might suggest.

95F water is less than half way to being boiled (212F at sea level)

How about using a Steri Pen

http://www.steripen.com/

Water is different in all parts of the world. It has different taste, microbes and organisims. Some municipal water sources are not safe to drink. Maybe where OP is her water isn't safe for young kids.

Distilled water is very off-putting as it has no minerals for taste.

I think that this was supposed to be Celcius. 95C makes a lot more sense.