Review of December 7 Sojourn sailing

travelingduo

To Patti22 asking where this came from.... We were ON the Sojourn Dec 7 sailing. They asked everyone for their suite number in every dinner venue; MDR, Colonnade, and even the Patio Grill every night. If there was a party of more than two, they asked each couple for their suite numbers as well. I regret that I didn't ask why, but it was my first Seabourn cruise in 10 years and I just thought that is how Seabourn does business. I don't recall this on any of my 10 Silversea cruises, but perhaps they have changed as well as some have suggested.

Well, if SB aren't worrying that there are some diners who aren't actually SB guests but are in fact impostors being airlifted in by helicopter every evening, perhaps they're checking to make sure that nobody has two dinners ? :D

I really fail to see why they need to do this every evening in every dining venue.

Can't wait for someone to ask the question and post here with a definitive reply.

Edited by Nigella

Well, if SB aren't worrying that there are some diners who aren't actually SB guests but are in fact impostors being airlifted in by helicopter every evening, perhaps they're checking to make sure that nobody has two dinners ? :D

I really fail to see why they need to do this every evening in every dining venue.

Can't wait for someone to ask the question and post here with a definitive reply.

We've never been asked our suite number at dinner, and I don't know why it's done now. But if you want a wild speculation: The stewardess goes into the suites during dinner to turn down the sheets, leave the chocolates, etc. Perhaps she did this once when the occupants were "indisposed" and didn't think to hang out the "do not disturb" sign.

Sure, I can repeat what has already been written. It's a new computer system. Costly, for sure....so why would they install it on three ships soon to depart the fleet? They only ask your suite number if they do not know it. In other words, if the guy at the gate is sharp you are asked once. If (s)he is a slow learner, maybe forever. It is a small computer that is hardly noticed by the passenger. You can dream up all the possibilities and that is what this computer can do.

We were in the middle of an 18 day cruise on Odyssey in October, and the Maitre'd asked us for our suite number, and told us there is a new system in place. He typed it in at the reception area and it was a little unnerving...there was a whirling noise and we thought it sounded like a till receipt being processed!! Heaven forbid I thought we might be getting a bill!!:eek:

As you say, Able Seaman Henry...

That's precisely what the Maitre d' on Quest told me in November. It's about matching customer details on allergies to the service they receive from the wait staff.

This is a smart and important safeguard, contributes to MIS capabilities too and so should be welcome. Good for Seabourn for taking charge.

Happy sailing!

So where's Ables am and video??

Sent via squirrels and a rotary phone

Give him time, Mr Chilla. Patience :D

I'm guessing he only arrived back home in Britain a few hours ago, after a long flight from L.A. I have no doubt he'll post it soon enough!

Hello to all: We are currently on the Sojourn on the way to Hilo. Last night at the Restaurant, the Maitre D' asked for our stateroom number. After we provided it, I asked the reason for his inquiry. While his reply was quite vague, once we were seated, we received a partial explanation. The server knew our names, which she used, and she knew my DH's diet restrictions. So this new system helps the staff provide more personal service.

Hello to all: We are currently on the Sojourn on the way to Hilo. Last night at the Restaurant, the Maitre D' asked for our stateroom number. After we provided it, I asked the reason for his inquiry. While his reply was quite vague, once we were seated, we received a partial explanation. The server knew our names, which she used, and she knew my DH's diet restrictions. So this new system helps the staff provide more personal service.

Thank you for your post.

It does make sense that they want to use names in addition to the dietary restrictions, although the cynical part of me thinks there may be more to it and this is just the 'official line' thrown out to guests.

Anyway, enough of my unjust cynicism !

Have a wonderful cruise and if you're still onboard after Hong Kong, perhaps we'll meet.

The new system also helps to keep a record for head office to see what restaurants and menus are popular and to see if there are any trends or patterns.

This can be helpful to decide when a restaurant has come to the end of its useful life.

Restaurant two for instance which many regulars have liked but could become a themed restaurant in the near future.

Any ideas as to what type of cuisine would suit this space?

It is like any other business they want to track how and when people are moving and using the ship. They also use it to track preferences such as specific waiters, tables, dietary restrictions and special requests. For example, I like Diet Ginger Ale which apparently not many people ask for in the MDR and I have to believe it was noted on my profile. The first time I asked they had to scurry to the back to find a can, but after that I was asked if I would like a Diet Ginger Ale and it was readily available.

As you say, Able Seaman Henry...

That's precisely what the Maitre d' on Quest told me in November. It's about matching customer details on allergies to the service they receive from the wait staff.

This is a smart and important safeguard, contributes to MIS capabilities too and so should be welcome. Good for Seabourn for taking charge.

Happy sailing!

As Markham and Able S H indicated, it is indeed to track special dietary needs. It's not just food allergies but special restrictions/requirements as well. Guests who indicated special dietary needs in their preferences now receive a letter upon embarkation directing them to report to a meeting with the chefs at a designated time. If you've ever gone to one of those, you know there can be a long line of people waiting. There are so many people now who request gluten free, sugar free, vegan, lactose free, or have issues like shell fish allergies, etc., that this is a way for both the galley and the server to know precise issues. DH's shellfish allergies are generally known to crew, but we've also had a server return and say "chef says you can't have this because one of the ingredients is an oyster sauce," demonstrating that this system of checks and balances is working. On a recent cruise I was faced with some temporary diet restrictions for a specific time period following surgery and this system ensured that crew and the chefs (many of whom knew me without restrictions) were aware of my needs. I really don't think there's anything sinister about the new system.