3 weeks from cruise/want to change date

MAKINGWAVES

We are to sail Jan 19th on the Freedom. Due to medical issues, (hip replacement), I'm not phyically ready to tackle this. Would like to schedule in Febuary. Has anyone had a simular problem? Would there be fees, penalties? Would like to hear.

This close to sailing you are in the penalty phase and would not be eligible to get money back.

You may try calling the cruise line and ask if you could change your date, but don't be surprised if the answer is "no".

Not even sure if trip insurance would help unless you bought a "cancel for any reason" policy.

Good luck. If you don't get the right answer call back and talk to someone else.

Usually a hip is degenerative unless you just fell

Why not schedule the THA after the cruise .:confused:

Good luck. If you don't get the right answer call back and talk to someone else.

Usually a hip is degenerative unless you just fell

Why not schedule the THA after the cruise .:confused:

I was having similar thoughts. If you had the surgery, how far post op are you?

You might luck out with a date change, but I'd think it would be called a trip cancellation.

Even though in your eyes you are just changing dates, in Carnival's eyes you are canceling your cruise and booking a new one for a future date.

Cancellation penalties will apply. Did you purchase travel insurance? If so what does the cancel for medical reasons clause cover? That would be the first step to get this situation straightened out.

I just went through a very similar situation. I booked a last minute cruise for Dec 4th. My husband is on PD (at home) dialysis, has been for almost 3 months. On Thanksgiving day, the catheter decided it was not going to cooperate. He had to have emergency surgery to try to correct that the next day, which did not work. On Monday, we were told the surgery would have to be redone and was going to have to be worked into the schedule. On Dec. 3rd, I cancelled the cruise, Dec 5th they had to completely put in a new PD Catheter, which also meant that he had to have another Hemo port in to do Hemo while the catheter was healing. Carnival refunded ONLY port charges/taxes...BUT, I am a TA myself and know that these things happen all the time, I have never cruised without travel insurance. The TRICK is to buy you travel insurance with 15 days of putting your deposit down, that way if you buy the right policy, any pre-existing conditions are covered. I am getting paper work together to send to my insurance company, you have to have proof of everything, but I know I will be reimbursed the other $$ that I spent on the cruise fare and hotel.

Like one person said, the cruiselines do not think of it as just changing dates, and most likely you will be penalized heavily. I always try to tell my customers that the small cost of the insurance is worth not having to worry just in case something comes up. Even if you are young, you never know if your parents, children, etc. will experience something that would stop you from going, so I highly recommend buy travel insurance...within the first few days of booking AND one that covers pre-existing medical(most cruiseline insurance DOES NOT cover pre-existing conditions)!

My hubby is back on PD and we will hopefully be cruising in just a few weeks...with our travel insurance!!;)

I just went through a very similar situation. I booked a last minute cruise for Dec 4th. My husband is on PD (at home) dialysis, has been for almost 3 months. On Thanksgiving day, the catheter decided it was not going to cooperate. He had to have emergency surgery to try to correct that the next day, which did not work. On Monday, we were told the surgery would have to be redone and was going to have to be worked into the schedule. On Dec. 3rd, I cancelled the cruise, Dec 5th they had to completely put in a new PD Catheter, which also meant that he had to have another Hemo port in to do Hemo while the catheter was healing. Carnival refunded ONLY port charges/taxes...BUT, I am a TA myself and know that these things happen all the time, I have never cruised without travel insurance. The TRICK is to buy you travel insurance with 15 days of putting your deposit down, that way if you buy the right policy, any pre-existing conditions are covered. I am getting paper work together to send to my insurance company, you have to have proof of everything, but I know I will be reimbursed the other $$ that I spent on the cruise fare and hotel.

Like one person said, the cruiselines do not think of it as just changing dates, and most likely you will be penalized heavily. I always try to tell my customers that the small cost of the insurance is worth not having to worry just in case something comes up. Even if you are young, you never know if your parents, children, etc. will experience something that would stop you from going, so I highly recommend buy travel insurance...within the first few days of booking AND one that covers pre-existing medical(most cruiseline insurance DOES NOT cover pre-existing conditions)!

My hubby is back on PD and we will hopefully be cruising in just a few weeks...with our travel insurance!!;)

stooth, I'm glad to hear your DH is ok and you'll be cruising again.

I'm sorry to steal this thread but I have a question that is somewhat related. Since you are a TA, what is the insurance you use that included the pre-existing medical that you used? I am booking a cruise next week for 11/14 and I always buy travel insurance. I am always looking for recommendations on insurance that others have used.

OP, good luck with your surgery. I hope that you are able to sail again soon.

We are to sail Jan 19th on the Freedom. Due to medical issues, (hip replacement), I'm not phyically ready to tackle this. Would like to schedule in Febuary. Has anyone had a simular problem? Would there be fees, penalties? Would like to hear.

To them, this is cancelation and a rebooking, so you would be subject to all cancelation fees, and probably higher fares due to the supply and demand of that new booking.

This is where you should review what your insurance would cover.

However, there's always a possibility they may treat the cancelation as a credit, so it's always worth making a couple of non demanding phone calls.

Edited by Lace

stooth, I'm glad to hear your DH is ok and you'll be cruising again.

I'm sorry to steal this thread but I have a question that is somewhat related. Since you are a TA, what is the insurance you use that included the pre-existing medical that you used? I am booking a cruise next week for 11/14 and I always buy travel insurance. I am always looking for recommendations on insurance that others have used.

OP, good luck with your surgery. I hope that you are able to sail again soon.

A lot of policies cover pre-existing conditions IF the insurance is purchased within 14 days of when you book the cruise.

Go to www.insuremytrip.com and compare policies.

Edited by GTO-Girl

I always call the nice people at insuremytrip.com, I explain our trip and they find a policy for me, send me a quote, and I purchase it within 15 days of putting down a deposit on the cruise.

In a few months I'l call back and add on the flights as soon as those are purchased.

Well miracles and good PVP's still happen. As I am in the process of posting this, he is moving our sail date to Febuary as I requested with no pentilies or fees. I do have trip insurance, in fact it's the same insurance underwriters that Carnival uses. My medical condition would be considered "pre-existing" so the insurance wont really help. I'm really happy with what he's done for us.

Well miracles and good PVP's still happen. As I am in the process of posting this, he is moving our sail date to Febuary as I requested with no pentilies or fees. I do have trip insurance, in fact it's the same insurance underwriters that Carnival uses. My medical condition would be considered "pre-existing" so the insurance wont really help. I'm really happy with what he's done for us.

So sorry that you won't be cruising in January......and very sorry that you are still not "up to speed" following surgery...:(.. But very happy that you are able to re-book for February and I really hope you are feeling much, much better by then.......AND that you won't lose any money on the switch! That's excellent news!

I will still be keeping a good thought for your recovery!:)

Since you are a TA do you have any recommendations on insurance companies that tend to payout as expected and not give every excuse (I know you must have all documentation).

Hi

I usually buy an insurance policy thru Insuremytrip that waives the "pre existing condition" clause if you buy it within 24 hours of paying your final payment on the cruise. Luckily I have never had to use it but I feel it's worth it...especially if you've got a pre existing condition. I like the luxury of being able to buy it after other expenses are known (such as airfare and hotel).:cool:

Denise

Edited by DKNYC

As the OP states , it's probably not the insurance coverage that helped them. Rather, I think that Carnival isn't really loosing too much here. They still have OP's money and Makingwaves still gets a cruise. Carnival probably figures they can fill the cabin with new cruisers AND keep a loyal customer. Win- Win