Dining on Freedom

Hi everyone! I am a newbie to RCI, and I will be doing the 7 night Eastern Caribbean sailing on May 4th 2014 on Freedom with my hubby :) Since I am new at this cruising thing, I can't seem to find the info that I'm looking for on the Royal Caribbean website, so I thought I would ask all of you knowledgeable people here :) With a 7 night cruise for dining, how many nights are formal, casual, and the in-between, and how do I know which night will be which? With the formal nights for my husband, will dress slacks, dress shirt and tie be allowed, or do I have to pack a suit? We have my time dining if that matters at all...I'm just confused as to how all this works :) I really appreciate any help that you can give me!

Dress slacks and nice shirt are fine any night. No need for a coat. If no coat, forget the tie. Just shirt and tie isn't anywhere near formal so don't bother, it's just a "day at the office" look:D:)

There will be a few guys wearing a tux, some wearing a suit, some with sportcoat, and some in just slacks and a decent shirt. Wear what you want.

Edited by bouhunter

You will see everything from tuxes to just shirt and slacks on formal night. I like to wear a suit or tux, but that just me... :)

There are 2 formal nights, I think a couple casual night and the rest are business casual for which I will some times wear a tie, but always a jacket/blazer.

Thank you all so very, very much! And I'm sorry if I inadvertently brought up a controversial topic with the dress code :) I'm just not sure of proper dress etiquette on a cruise, and I'm really not all that familiar with what certain cruises consider "formal"...I so very much appreciate all of your help!

Thank you all so very, very much! And I'm sorry if I inadvertently brought up a controversial topic with the dress code :) I'm just not sure of proper dress etiquette on a cruise, and I'm really not all that familiar with what certain cruises consider "formal"...I so very much appreciate all of your help!

for the formal nights, my husband usually wears his suit w/ jacket. some people we saw not dressed up, some people wearing a full on tux. i wore a dress every night in the main dining room, a little fancier for the formal nights. everyone gets their picture taken those nights. i would say for every other night in the main dining room just dress 'nice'. most girls wear dresses, guys nicer pants with polo is more common

For those that rarely cruise, this is a great opportunity to get a beautiful formal picture done. Visit all the picture taking areas, get as many pictures done as you can stand, then pick the best one.

It usually takes quite a few shots to get "that one!"

If this matters to you, then yes, wear your best outfit. It's a memory that lasts a lifetime.

Welcome to RCI, I did this itinerary in Feb and loved it and the Freedom. I wear a nicer outfit on formal night. If you want to get dressed formally do so but there is no absolute requirement. If you like to get dressed up, go for it. If not there many people who do not. It is a good opportunity for pictures. One reason some are not dressing as formally is because of the baggage fees on the airlines.

Do NOT stress about clothes! Daytime is ultra-casual...swimsuits/shorts....dress for dinner as you would at a nice restaurant. There is no "requirement" to dress formally, although if you do, you will never be "over-dressed"! We enjoy the formal nights.....we like "lookin' good"!

On 7 nighters, there are only 5 casual nights, and 2 formals....smart casual (which is pretty much the same as casual) is usually on longer cruises. On casual nights, a collared shirt and slacks is fine for hubby...capris/skirt/ sundress, etc...for you.