Lahaina or Maalaea for Whale watching

TomAndJane

First let me say we will be arriving on the Pride of America and will be using the bus system to get around. Are there more options for Whale watching in Lahaina or Maalaea? We would like to go on a couple of tours while we are there for the day even if it means different vendors. Please recommend vendors as well.

In addition, does anyone know if there are taxis available when we get back to the bus stop at Queen Kaahumanu Center in Kahului? We would like to spend as much time as possible on the other side of the island and I believe the free shuttle stops running at around 4:30. Would it be safe to walk at night from the center back to the port?

Thanks for any help you can be,

Tom

A little reading on the board would reveal the center of the whale watching is off Lahaina. Not to say the whale watching is poor out of Ma'alaea. So, I would definitely say there are more venders out of Lahaina.

But, as you are coming ashore at Kahalui, there are plenty of venders, and plenty of whales, if you sail out of Ma'alaea. Looking around the board you would see Pacific Whale Foundation as a very highly recommended vender. If you go to the Lahaina side, actually Mala Harbor, Capt Steve is a superb small board tour vender.

When we got back to the Golden Princess last year (Christmas Day) off of Lahaina, there were a ton of whales right by the ship. We did a snorkeling trip that left from Lahaina a few cruises ago (again in December) and at one point, the boat stopped and our guide pointed out the action nearby. Some male whales were putting on quite a show for the lady whales.:)

Lahaina is some what closer to the ship and much easier access to free parking providing you use Pacific Whale Foundation which is also a stones throw to Maui Ocean Center one of the best anywhere.

Pacific Whale Foundation is by far one of the best and if there is whales in Ma'alaea

they will scoot across as they did for us in 2012.

It's also an easy simply drive with lots of kodak moments because your driving along the ocean if you decide to rent a car.

Here is 1 pic of many as we had 4 whales putting a show on for us.

Edited by Ilovesailing

Lahaina is some what closer to the ship and much easier access to free parking providing you use Pacific Whale Foundation which is also a stones throw to Maui Ocean Center one of the best anywhere.

Pacific Whale Foundation is by far one of the best and if there is whales in Ma'alaea

they will scoot across as they did for us in 2012.

It's also an easy simply drive with lots of kodak moments because your driving along the ocean if you decide to rent a car .

Here is 1 pic of many as we had 4 whales putting a show on for us, we even were able to take a 3 min. video

IMG_5198.jpg.cce013a95a2894844c2304034ee6e96d.jpg

I agree with the poster who posted about Pacific Whale Foundation. They are by far the best company for whale watching on Maui. I have gone out with them many times and highly recommend them! http://www.pacificwhale.org/ And we usually go out of Ma'alaea and visit Maui Ocean Center while we are there. It's not really all that far from Lāhainā.

Lahaina IS NOT closer to Kahalui, where POA docks. Maala'ea is closer to Kahalui.

Please do your homework before you leave for this cruise. Maui does not have the bus system that Honolulu (Oahu) has. The two whale watching locations are "far" away from Kahului. One of the best features of POA is the overnight stay. You might want to rent a car for this instead.

I recently did an early whale watch in Lahaina in November. I can highly recommend Pacific Whale Foundation. They were able to "find" the only 4 whales (ha ha) out in the bay. Our tour left at 2 PM for a two hour cruise.

I recently did an early whale watch in Lahaina in November. I can highly recommend Pacific Whale Foundation. They were able to "find" the only 4 whales (ha ha) out in the bay. Our tour left at 2 PM for a two hour cruise.

November is early for whales, but as the whale population improves, it is becoming a little more likely to see them in the time frame that was "early"

previously.

Correct, you are much better off renting a car and driving to the whale watch tour. Get a convertible, enjoy the fresh air! And if you have more than one day in Maui, drive the road to Hana.. it's not the road that is amazing, but the stops along it, so get a good guide book that tells you where the waterfalls are and you'll see some things you will never forget. I recommend Maui Revealed. They have really good details about everything you can imagine. Also there are "Revealed" books for every island.. get them! I promise they will help you navigate things to see and do while you're there!

Thanks for the replies everyone we really appreciate it. We like the idea of taking the #20 bus from the Queen Kaahumanu Center so we can enjoy the scenery along the way and not have to worry about driving if we decide to have an adult beverage or two.. :):) Does anyone know if taxis hang out at the Center in the evening? If not would it be safe to walk back after dark to the ship?

Thanks again,

Tom