Lufthansa vs. BA

Cruise Junky

I can't decide. Any experience with both in the old 747s? Looking at an itinerary of Vancouver - Paris and return Vienna to Vancouver next year. Price difference is about $90 more on BA if we pay for seat selection ahead of time. I've flown international on Lufthansa a few times but only domestic on BA. Any comparisons on in cabin service? Thanks

I can't decide. Any experience with both in the old 747s? Looking at an itinerary of Vancouver - Paris and return Vienna to Vancouver next year. Price difference is about $90 more on BA if we pay for seat selection ahead of time. I've flown international on Lufthansa a few times but only domestic on BA. Any comparisons on in cabin service? Thanks

Might want to consider DL as well (YVR-SEA-CDG / VCE-CDG/AMS-SEA-YVR) on DL as well; purely on price. DL have been expanding like crazy out of SEA (including for example 5 new YVR-SEA dailies) and prices are likely to be low.

Might want to consider DL as well (YVR-SEA-CDG / VCE-CDG/AMS-SEA-YVR) on DL as well; purely on price. DL have been expanding like crazy out of SEA (including for example 5 new YVR-SEA dailies) and prices are likely to be low.

Thanks, I was definitely not looking at adding more stops though seeing as the flights are in December. Didn't want to chance weather delays. But just for the record, I checked prices and it's no cheaper than BA or Lufthansa which both have less stops.

Edited by Cruise Junky

You will get preferences for both airlines. On a personal basis, I'd choose BA over LH but only just. The service on LH is more German Efficiency than warm & friendly but I've used LH countless times on longhaul flights and will continue to do so where the schedule suits.

I generally find BA to be a wee bit more warm and relaxing in the cabin, the staff to be very friendly and probably most importantly, I find their seats more comfortable too... Not quite so hard.

You will get preferences for both airlines. On a personal basis, I'd choose BA over LH but only just. The service on LH is more German Efficiency than warm & friendly but I've used LH countless times on longhaul flights and will continue to do so where the schedule suits.

I generally find BA to be a wee bit more warm and relaxing in the cabin, the staff to be very friendly and probably most importantly, I find their seats more comfortable too... Not quite so hard.

Duty free shopping at Heathrow isn't too shabby either :) Normally, it's not this hard to pick but they both have their plusses and minuses.

Thanks, I was definitely not looking at adding more stops though seeing as the flights are in December. Didn't want to chance weather delays. But just for the record, I checked prices and it's no cheaper than BA or Lufthansa which both have less stops.

It's way too early to be looking at pricing (or equipment) for next december. For example, while LH are flying 747-400s YVR-FRA for the summer, they'll likely go back to A340-600s for next winter.

It's way too early to be looking at pricing (or equipment) for next december. For example, while LH are flying 747-400s YVR-FRA for the summer, they'll likely go back to A340-600s for next winter.

Not sure about that. I've visited Europe a few times late November and have found really good pricing out of the gate. It then goes up and then comes down and can be found much later at about the same price it started at. My last two trips have been just under $1,000 return per person. This one is looking at about $1,200 because of the Vienna portion. I'm happy with that.

Not sure about that. I've visited Europe a few times late November and have found really good pricing out of the gate. It then goes up and then comes down and can be found much later at about the same price it started at. My last two trips have been just under $1,000 return per person. This one is looking at about $1,200 because of the Vienna portion. I'm happy with that.

It depends on the airline, but most price between 330-355 days out. It's entirely likely you're excluding a few major airlines by trying 12 months out.

It depends on the airline, but most price between 330-355 days out. It's entirely likely you're excluding a few major airlines by trying 12 months out.

Not really as the one's that have a direct flight to Europe are all out...KLM, AC, Lufthansa and BA. The 330 days in advance seems to be a US thing and that's just going to add stops.

For what class of service?

A lot of people I know would suggest LH just to avoid transiting through LHR.

Economy at this point. On the way there I believe it's the same terminal but on the way back I'd have to change from Terminal 3 to 5 if I went BA but there's just over 3 hours between flights. Luggage would transfer I believe.

Do you have any frequent flyer affinity? If not, that's a lot of miles to leave on the table. Lufthansa = Star Alliance - AC, United et al. BA = Oneworld - American, also Alaska.

YVR-FRA-CDG//VIE-FRA-YVR = 10,715 miles; YVR-LHR-CDG//VIE-LHR-YVR = 10,457 mi.

For your days I'm actually seeing KLM flights with comparable transit times and around $50 less in fare than either BA or LH. I'd prefer AMS over FRA (but LHR over either.) The return I'm seeing on KL on the 13th is actually on an A330, a newer plane than KL's antique 744s.

Do you have any frequent flyer affinity? If not, that's a lot of miles to leave on the table. Lufthansa = Star Alliance - AC, United et al. BA = Oneworld - American, also Alaska.

YVR-FRA-CDG//VIE-FRA-YVR = 10,715 miles; YVR-LHR-CDG//VIE-LHR-YVR = 10,457 mi.

For your days I'm actually seeing KLM flights with comparable transit times and around $50 less in fare than either BA or LH. I'd prefer AMS over FRA (but LHR over either.) The return I'm seeing on KL on the 13th is actually on an A330, a newer plane than KL's antique 744s.

I did look at KLM and I think the connection time on the way home was really cutting it close. I'll check them again. As for points, I have both. Thanks

EDIT....KLM looks like it would work on the connection time.

Edited by Cruise Junky