Cruising NZ in May

stass1

Hi all,

My husband and I are looking at a Princess cruise in May 2014 sailing 13 nights visiting new zealand. Has anyone got any pros or cons for cruising NZ at that time of year? We're looking for a budget cruise but hubby won't compromise on having a balcony :mad::mad::rolleyes:

TIA

Hi all,

My husband and I are looking at a Princess cruise in May 2014 sailing 13 nights visiting new zealand. Has anyone got any pros or cons for cruising NZ at that time of year? We're looking for a budget cruise but hubby won't compromise on having a balcony :mad::mad::rolleyes:

TIA

i'd say it would be cold in NZ that time of year but you can always rug up and keep warm

It "may" not be as cold as you would expect in May. If we have another Indian Summer like this year , it will be very pleasant. The really cold months of winter come later. The ski season usually opens around June , and some years they are waiting and begging for snow so the season can start. It all depends on what comes up from the Southern Ocean.

But then again ...who knows ???

....we don't really expect ships to get stuck in the pack ice of Antarctica in Summer..:eek::eek:

I think as maps are flat representations of a round world, NZ is projected as being more southerly than it actually is. I looked at it a couple of years ago after going to NZ in September for a funeral and found it to be much milder than I expected.

The top of the North Island is actually at the similar southerly degrees to lower NSW in Australia. The thin land mass means much of the country is actually close to ocean, and oceans are moderate in temperature, not changing greatly throughout the year.

It is actually colder in the desert in central Australia overnight on clear days than it might be in NZ in winter.

So I would say I would always get a balcony, and you will probably find the mild sunny days that you will get some of the time will be very pleasant.

I would take layers of clothes as the weather will be cooler, but don't be surprised if you get some pleasant lovely days.

Another hint I would say is check if the excursions are open when you are going. We went to the North Island, Bay of Islands area where they say something like "it is never winter" but in fact tourism slows and many operators were "closed for holidays", "gone fishing" or "closed for renovations". Right, not a tradie to be seen near the renovations!

The same thing happened recently when we were north of Sydney at Lake's Entrance right on the coast in June. Many restaurants were not open mid week in a very popular tourist region.

I would imagine places that the ships stop will be open for business. I still like to be able to go out on the balcony, or look out large glass doors when cruising.

Edited by kjsmith63