How early to arrive at SJU for a 6am flight?

Messunderstood

We are flying home post-cruise on Monday morning from SJU as getting a hotel and staying overnight is a lot less stressful and less expensive than flying home right off the cruise ship.

We lucked into $305 r/t to Indy doing it this way, :D

In the past, when flying out of SJU on a Sunday, we allowed 2 hours to wrangle the potential inspections and crowd.

This year our departure is scheduled for 6am Monday morning. Would we still need to allow for 2 hours? If so, this means we need to check out of the hotel and grab a cab at 3:30am to arrive by 4am. :eek:

Do the cabs even run that early? Was our "smart" flight tactics not so smart?

Good thing it's a direct flight because once I get on there I am sleep all the way home!

Edited by Messunderstood

I would arrange a taxi in advance the day before. Don't count on hailing one unless at a major hotel such as El San Juan Hotel Resort or The Ritz etc

I would allow the same two hours. You need to clear agriculture as well as security and one never knows how long it will take.

It is likely you will breeze through but count on needing the two hours and get breakfast if you are at the gate early.

Edited by sail7seas

Have your hotel concierge arrange and confirm the taxi or private transportation for you. If the hotel has in-room dining, see if you can arrange for an early morning coffee to be delivered to the Front Desk so you can have something warm and comforting to sip on. Any hotel worth it's salt will have these easily for you…

If you've always done 2 hours, I'd still do it. You don't want to be rushing around in a sleep-deprived stupor at the airport ;) If you have extra time, use it to grab that last cafe cubano...

Wow !

$305 round trip? That's a steal ! Good for you !

Do you mind me asking which airline and how far in advance did you purchase this?

We went with Southwest airlines. AA had a closely priced flight but the luggage fees would have made it much more.

We are lucky enough to be within a two-hour drive of 4 larger airports (louisville, Nashville, Indianapolis and Cincinnati) so I priced each one. We have a 2 hour drive to get to IND for the flight but at that price we were happy to do it.

Oh yeah, I booked it back in July.

We went with Southwest airlines. AA had a closely priced flight but the luggage fees would have made it much more.

We are lucky enough to be within a two-hour drive of 4 larger airports (louisville, Nashville, Indianapolis and Cincinnati) so I priced each one. We have a 2 hour drive to get to IND for the flight but at that price we were happy to do it.

Oh yeah, I booked it back in July.

Well, that's great you were able to get such a deal. Mine was $800 on delta, with DH having a frequent flyer tix + $80 b/c he didn't have enough points. There is a new covered parking place : thefastpark.com. If you park the whole week, you get a free day with promo code 1799001.

Thx for sharing your info. I'll try to remember that for next time.

Hope you have a great cruise. :)

Thanks for asking this, we are also spending the extra night in san Juan. Our flight isn't until 6:50 am, never thought to arrange transportation the night before

Always a good idea to pre-arrange transportation when you want a very early or very late taxi. We never take the chance on having to wait while doorman calls for taxi.