Introduction and a question

AquaFortis511

Hello! I've been browsing this site/lurking the forums for a bit over a year now. In that time, I've developed a strong desire to go on my very first cruise, even though I sort of don't have the money to do something like that anytime soon. I often find myself checking out the main site and the forums when I feel blue; the thought of a cruise really cheers me up and makes me feel both happy and excited.

Although I've already started building credit, I decided recently that it would be best for me to apply for a credit card that I'd use sparingly. When I checked out my bank's website and discovered all the card options, I found a few in the no-annual-fee category (a huge plus) that also offers "points" that can be put towards a future cruise vacation! I'm definitely going to sign up for one of those cards, but the only question is: which cruise line? One of the cards is only good for amassing points towards a Royal Caribbean cruise, while the other card is only good for amassing points towards a Norwegian cruise.

I've checked out both cruise lines' websites and their sections on this site, but I figured I'd ask the community which cruise line I should go with. Here's some information about me that might prove useful: I'm young (23), I'm gay, I'm a man, and I'd prefer to go on my first cruise alone. I'm an introvert and I look forward to finding all sorts of different places to hide and read, etc. on a cruise ship, but even though I'm introverted and don't like crowds, for some reason I'm excited to get lost in the hustle and bustle of a cruise ship, meet new people, and try new things. (For a future cruise, I'd love to go with some friends...but I don't think they'd really be up for it.) I enjoy tropical areas like the Bahamas and the Caribbean. I'd prefer a cruise that has a decent amount of days at sea as opposed to lots of ports. I look forward to relaxing on a cruise, meaning I'd rather go on a ship that has a relaxed dress code, but at the same time I wouldn't mind dressing up for a fancy dinner or two.

So which do you all think would be more suitable for me, Norwegian or RC? Does it really not matter in the long run? Feel free to ask me more questions about myself and what I'd like to do on a cruise vacation if you think it'll help narrow down the choice. =) I look forward to hearing everyone's suggestions!

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Personally, I would get a card that gives you money back each month or year. You never know which line(s) you will sail with in the future.

While cruising alone sounds good, it can be expensive. Cabins are price for double occupancy. If you want to use one solo, there will up an additional charge which is often substantial.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

I have the Royal Caribbean credit card - I believe I got it 7 or 8 years ago, and I've been able to cash out 3 free cruises (each of which were 4 nights for 2 people). When I opened it, there was a large promotion where I got a ton of points for free. I use it for my business/business charges so I find it's easy to quickly rack up the miles and the process to cash them out is quite straightforward.

It's been awhile since I was on a Norwegian cruise, but I'd guess you might be more comfortable on a Royal Caribbean one...They're both excellent cruise lines. It's just been my experience that Norwegian attracts an older crowd traveling with family & extended family, whereas there may be more people your ages on Royal...

Good luck!

One thing Norwegian has going for it is that some of their newer ships have studio cabins that are made for the solo traveler and an entire area geared towards those that like or want to travel solo.

Now these cabins aren't half the price of a normal cabin, but they can be cheaper than paying the 200% fare of a normal cabin.

I have never sailed on Royal Caribbean, but people seem to either love or hate them. Instead of getting a card geared towards just one cruise line or another, and ending up possibly not enjoying the one you chose, just save your money. You can put down a deposit for a cruise up to 2 years out and pay it off over that time. Once you have found a line you love then apply for their card if you need/want to.

Hello! I've been browsing this site/lurking the forums for a bit over a year now. In that time, I've developed a strong desire to go on my very first cruise, even though I sort of don't have the money to do something like that anytime soon. I often find myself checking out the main site and the forums when I feel blue; the thought of a cruise really cheers me up and makes me feel both happy and excited.

Although I've already started building credit, I decided recently that it would be best for me to apply for a credit card that I'd use sparingly. When I checked out my bank's website and discovered all the card options, I found a few in the no-annual-fee category (a huge plus) that also offers "points" that can be put towards a future cruise vacation! I'm definitely going to sign up for one of those cards, but the only question is: which cruise line? One of the cards is only good for amassing points towards a Royal Caribbean cruise, while the other card is only good for amassing points towards a Norwegian cruise.

I've checked out both cruise lines' websites and their sections on this site, but I figured I'd ask the community which cruise line I should go with. Here's some information about me that might prove useful: I'm young (23), I'm gay, I'm a man, and I'd prefer to go on my first cruise alone. I'm an introvert and I look forward to finding all sorts of different places to hide and read, etc. on a cruise ship, but even though I'm introverted and don't like crowds, for some reason I'm excited to get lost in the hustle and bustle of a cruise ship, meet new people, and try new things. (For a future cruise, I'd love to go with some friends...but I don't think they'd really be up for it.) I enjoy tropical areas like the Bahamas and the Caribbean. I'd prefer a cruise that has a decent amount of days at sea as opposed to lots of ports. I look forward to relaxing on a cruise, meaning I'd rather go on a ship that has a relaxed dress code, but at the same time I wouldn't mind dressing up for a fancy dinner or two.

So which do you all think would be more suitable for me, Norwegian or RC? Does it really not matter in the long run? Feel free to ask me more questions about myself and what I'd like to do on a cruise vacation if you think it'll help narrow down the choice. =) I look forward to hearing everyone's suggestions!

Norwegian is more casual with no formal nights at all but has the option of dressing up if/when you feel like it.

Also, all the dining is freestyle which means you choose on a nightly basis when and where you wish to dine, so lots of flexibility.

"Young and gay" sets off a few thoughts in my ole mind. We have some gay friends (physicians) who love to cruise and they have been on both normal cruises and gay cruises. From what we have heard, they really love the gay cruises because it just makes things a bit easier from a social point of view. Probably the best known organization that organizes gay cruises is called RSVP (RSVPcruises.org). This company actually charters entire cruise ships (from several different companies) and puts together some interesting packages for gays including contemporary entertainment that might be of more interest to the younger gay community.

Hank

Wow, many thanks for all the quick responses! I guess the more economical thing to do is just get a cash-back credit card and just save up my money instead of picking a cruise line without ever even trying one first.

"Young and gay" sets off a few thoughts in my ole mind. We have some gay friends (physicians) who love to cruise and they have been on both normal cruises and gay cruises. From what we have heard, they really love the gay cruises because it just makes things a bit easier from a social point of view. Probably the best known organization that organizes gay cruises is called RSVP (RSVPcruises.org). This company actually charters entire cruise ships (from several different companies) and puts together some interesting packages for gays including contemporary entertainment that might be of more interest to the younger gay community.

Hank

I felt the need to respond to this in particular: although I'm gay and I honestly don't have any qualms about my identity, I really, really, really don't think I want to go on a gay cruise. Or at least not my first time out. It's like....I don't know, I don't want to go on a cruise designed solely for people of one orientation, even if it's other gay people. I get the feeling like, "Well we're not good enough to go on a NORMAL cruise line with NORMAL people," when in actuality, we're just like straight people and we should be able to cruise with them no problem. I actually feel much more comfortable around straight people than I do other gay people...oddly enough.

It's also like...what is it about being gay that makes a cruise line's entertainment need to be specifically geared towards that? Will I not enjoy entertainment on a "regular" cruise? I don't like drag shows or other things that are prominent in the "gay scene," so I feel like entertainment specifically geared towards my gayness will probably not hit the right note for me.

Maybe I'll go on one with some other LGBT friends of mine sometime, but I definitely think for my first time out, I need to go on a "regular" cruise. But thanks, I'll keep that site bookmarked for future reference. =)

I would agree with just getting a credit card that isn't tied in with a cruiseline. You may get a better deal with interest,etc.

If you can find a buddy to cruise with, that would save you money. I've shared tables with gays who went with a mom or other family members. My first trip to Hawaii I went with my old college roomie who had booked the trip with her husband who she was ditching and needed to find someone to buy his ticket. And since I wasn't involved with anyone at that point, I figured it would be my best chance to go to Hawaii (five years later, went on my honeymoon there with my new hubby who had introduced me to cruising).

I haven't been on Royal or NCL so I can't speak to those. There's a wide range of entertainment on Princess. We like going to the big production shows, but there's a lot of lounge acts and activities too.

If you want more days at sea, you might enjoy a Bermuda Cruise. They leave from NYC or Bayonne, NJ and have 2 days at sea to get there and then it stays in Bermuda a couple full days, then 2 days at sea to get back. The best of both worlds, I feel.

:( I find your post depressing and have a different take than what has been offered.

You're only 23, goodness you have your entire life ahead of you. Don't rack up a big credit card debt now. Not even for a cruise, it's not worth it.

Enjoy the current life you can afford, and go on a cruise in a few years when you don't have so much financial worry. Remember the base cruise fare is only a portion of the total cost. Also in a few years you may have some friends or a partner who are more into cruising and will go with you. That alone can help defray costs.

If you are feeling blue about not cruising, don't get a credit card, check out some You Tube videos of cruises instead. :)

Based on your location in NY, and what you've told us about yourself, my recommendation for you is Norwegian. As another poster mentioned, NCL offers studio cabins for solo travelers. I've spent time in these cabins on both NCL Epic and NCL Breakaway as I've traveled a few times with solo friends who choose the studio cabins. You can also find cabin tours of the studio cabins for both of these ships on YouTube.

Breakaway sails to Bermuda out of NYC, so perhaps that's a good option for you. It's a beautiful ship with a lot to do -- great entertainment, fantastic water park, and a lot of good food options. You can opt to dress up on a couple of dressy nights, but formal nights on NCL are not required.

I'm not gay, but I'm PFLAG, and many of my gay friends agree with your sentiment about sailing a "gay cruise". The last thing they want to do is be immersed with ONLY other gays. Instead, you could just plan to attend a "Friends of Dorothy" meeting on whichever cruise you choose.

Whatever you decide, it's your decision. You've got a long life ahead of you, so LIVE IT to your heart's content! :D

Not being an experienced cruiser (my SO and I have only been on one cruise, with another booked for next year), I sat on my hands for several days debating whether I had enough "cred" to post a reply ... but a quick scan of most of the forums shows boatloads of people who seem to never let that stop them, so here I go! At least you didn't ask about hairdryers. :eek:

With the "inexperience" caveat in place, I can't say that RCCL is better than NCL or vice-versa, but I can relate our experience with NCL. We opted for them as our first cruise experience for some of the same reasons you and others have written about: proximity to the port (I'm from NYC, now living in the Poconos), a good reputation as being gay-friendly, and it being a "regular" (i.e, not all gay), cruise - an entire ship of men named "Mary" would have gotten stale by the middle of the second day. We picked the Bermuda sailing for the Goldilocks factor: it wasn't too long if we decided we loathed it, it wasn't too short for us to be able to decide if we enjoyed cruising, and the three days in a single port seemed just right for learning "how ports work."

NCL met (and in most cases, exceeded), our expectations. The crew was without exception professional and cordial, even in scenarios that might have invited an ugly phobia to rear its head (aboard ship, it'd be a stretch to imagine two men sharing a bottle of wine over dinner at the upcharge French restaurant are having a business meeting (LOL)). There was a nightly GLBTQ "Friends of Dorothy" hour in one of the bars which often coincided with the happy hour / drink specials. The FOD mix mirrored that of the ship in general, being somewhat weighted towards the 50+/couples demographic, but with every other age range and togetherness status well represented. The ship on which we sailed didn't have the studio cabins, but there were nevertheless many other singles, the vast majority of which were sailing with their families. The cruise overall was more fun and exciting than we had imagined, and we ended up enjoying the overall experience so much that before it ended, we purchased a future cruise certificate which we redeemed for another next year.

Since my CC screen name sort of gives away the industry in which I work, I wanted to add a paragraph on the credit card issue. Affinity cards (those issued in conjunction with a specific team, charity or cruise line), are a great feel-good way to show loyalty to a specific logo, but you would be better off with a general-purpose rewards card that lets you redeem for cash - you wouldn't "earn" any less, but you'd have much more flexibility in your redemptions. I'm not going to tout any specific one, but my current favorite offers 1.5% back on all spending and incurs no foreign transaction fees when used abroad. To really make it pay off for you, use it for everyday spending and pay it in full at the end of each month - every cent in interest you pay on a carried balance effectively dilutes any reward you might earning.

Hope you find this helpful, and happy sailing!

Many thanks again for all of the responses! It seems a lot of people are suggesting Norwegian for a solo cruise. I've also been reading other opinions and I'm gonna take it all into consideration. =)

A few things I wanted to respond to individually...

:( I find your post depressing and have a different take than what has been offered.

You're only 23, goodness you have your entire life ahead of you. Don't rack up a big credit card debt now. Not even for a cruise, it's not worth it.

Enjoy the current life you can afford, and go on a cruise in a few years when you don't have so much financial worry. Remember the base cruise fare is only a portion of the total cost. Also in a few years you may have some friends or a partner who are more into cruising and will go with you. That alone can help defray costs.

If you are feeling blue about not cruising, don't get a credit card, check out some You Tube videos of cruises instead. :)

I'm sorry to depress you! But if it makes you feel any better...I think you misunderstood. I don't plan on racking up any credit card debt whatsoever, ever. I know well enough to pay off my debts in full at every due date. If you actually read my first post, I was referring to a card I would use sparingly and amass points to be used in the far future. I don't have any "financial worry" right now and I'm always on top of all of my loan payments.

Although I decided against getting a credit card to amass cruising points, I definitely do need to get a credit card...I need to start building up credit, after all, and even though I've paid off my student loans and I'm paying off a car loan, a credit card could really help with future loans, buying a house, etc. So, thanks for your concern, but I'm not the kind of person to build up debt and not pay it off. =P

Plus, there are some who would say that I should go on a cruise for the exact reason that I'm 23. Life is too short to not do the things we want to do. I very much so learned that the hard way a long time ago. (Of course, I don't plan on going on any cruise until I can afford it, so please don't worry or get depressed.)

I'm not gay, but I'm PFLAG, and many of my gay friends agree with your sentiment about sailing a "gay cruise". The last thing they want to do is be immersed with ONLY other gays. Instead, you could just plan to attend a "Friends of Dorothy" meeting on whichever cruise you choose.

Whatever you decide, it's your decision. You've got a long life ahead of you, so LIVE IT to your heart's content! :D

Thank you! I was really worried I'd get some people angry by saying that, but it's honestly how I feel as a young gay person. I guess it might be a generational difference in some cases.

And to "EvilBanker" whom I can't seem to quote for some reason: thanks for the advice! I'll send you a private message 'cuz I think I know which card you're talking about, haha. And I'm glad that NCL has been a great cruise line for you. It seems that a lot of people are recommending it for solo travelers, and even in your case when that ship didn't have the studio rooms, it just seems like a single-friendly line. =)

Although I decided against getting a credit card to amass cruising points, I definitely do need to get a credit card...I need to start building up credit, after all, and even though I've paid off my student loans and I'm paying off a car loan, a credit card could really help with future loans, buying a house, etc. So, thanks for your concern, but I'm not the kind of person to build up debt and not pay it off.

I just wanted to point out, that many of these cards that offer cash back or rewards aren't for first time credit card people. You usually have to have a fairly good credit score to obtain one. When I applied for (and got) my Holland America card last week it gave a clear warning that they may not approve you for that and offer you a lesser card instead (which you have a right to turn down). When building up your credit you're first more likely to get approved for only low dollar amounts and cards with little return and possible annual fees. It sounds like you already have standard credit, but if you haven't had a credit card previously the banks are less likely to offer the ones that most people talk about on here.

I see that Carnival was not one of your options. I don't know if you got a bad "vibe" about them or you just heard bad things... we are actually taking our first cruise on Carnival Jan.12th and we are pretty excited. When we first started looking we did not like the way other lines separated Suite and Platinum, Diamond, Gold, Aluminum :D guests from the rest. As brand new cruisers we did not want a constant reminder that we had not reached "premium" status... though we do not begrudge those who have. Carnival seems to open up to everyone who gets on their ship and that's what we wanted. You may want to check them out... we will let you know about our experience once we get back! Good luck... by the way, just pull the trigger and book one... you will figure it all out once you do!:)

I felt the need to respond to this in particular: although I'm gay and I honestly don't have any qualms about my identity, I really, really, really don't think I want to go on a gay cruise. Or at least not my first time out. It's like....I don't know, I don't want to go on a cruise designed solely for people of one orientation, even if it's other gay people. I get the feeling like, "Well we're not good enough to go on a NORMAL cruise line with NORMAL people," when in actuality, we're just like straight people and we should be able to cruise with them no problem. I actually feel much more comfortable around straight people than I do other gay people...oddly enough.

It's also like...what is it about being gay that makes a cruise line's entertainment need to be specifically geared towards that? Will I not enjoy entertainment on a "regular" cruise? I don't like drag shows or other things that are prominent in the "gay scene," so I feel like entertainment specifically geared towards my gayness will probably not hit the right note for me.

I wish CC had a "like" button for this post.

I agree that NCL seems like a good fit for you. You should read some reviews about the studio cabins on the NCL Epic and Breakaway - they sound nice, and are definitely less expensive than paying double for a cabin if you're sailing solo. I remember seeing LGBT happy hours listed in the dailies during our last cruise, but I have no idea whether they were well-attended or not.

You said that you enjoy quiet, but also like having the option of getting out and meeting people. Assuming that you want to meet people around your own age, think carefully about the time you cruise and the ship. Some dates, itineraries, or ships attract younger people more than others do. Do some research on the boards and you'll get an idea about which cruise lines, ships, dates, etc will work best for you.

On the credit card question, I would suggest getting a card that offers flexible travel rewards over one that is specific to one airline or cruise line. We use a card through our credit union that gives us 2% back on everything. Points can be redeemed for travel through any airline (also cruises, hotels, rental cars, whatever) or for gift cards, merchandise, or cash. We use it for our normal spending (stuff you'd buy anyway), and contrary to what a previous poster suggested, we have ZERO credit card debt and never pay a dime of interest. If you have discipline not to splurge just because you're using credit, you're getting free money for the stuff you'd buy anyway. We spend a lot monthly on basics like gas and groceries, so each year we have a good amount of points, which we use for travel. It works really well for us - but we're responsible credit card users.