The Crew

jim1reed

Two things come to mind. Do you REALLY want to know what they think?

In reality, do you think that the crew wants to spend the few hours they have off to sleep, relax and contact their own family and have down time wasted on spending time on talking about someone they met for a few days and probably will never see again?

Say you work at a department store or fast food restaurant or even an advertising agency. Would you go on line to talk about your co-workers and customers with others in your industry? You've got 8 hours before you go back to work. That's really how you'd spend your time?

Edited by notentirelynormal

People I work with and others i know blog all time about work. I think it would be fun to read.

Jim

Really? Have you heard about all the people that have been fired for doing exactly that?!

I used to work for a phone company. It got to the point where I didn't even want to answer my phone when I was at home. I spent five to six hours on the phone at work and simply didn't want to bring it home.

There are tons of Facebook pages for employees and alumni of the various cruise lines. Surprisingly many of them are public--and unsurprisingly you will not find even the most innocuous anecdotes about passengers, just chat about who is moving to what ship and so on. Even with a fake name crew members would never say anything to put their contract at risk.

(You may have noticed that there is a fairly high-ranking Passenger Services crewmember who semi-regularly posts on the boards. Even with an anonymous user name I think it is impossible that his bosses have not recognized him--and he has spewed a few mind-boggling ageist and xenophobic stereotypes in his posts. But I'm pretty sure he is the exception that proves the rule)

Edited by fishywood

Back when I was gainfully employed by a very large company it was stressed - over and over - that speaking in public as if you were in private (example: day off lunch with friends, describe a situation but don't name names) could, and had, come back to bite the company and, so, was a firing offense. I had a friend who ignored that edict and found herself a witness in a lawsuit...and unemployed.

I suspect the same kind of rule applies to the amazing people who make our vaycay adventures so wonderful.

Most companies have social media rules. I never ever talk about work in public or on the internet. I don't say where I work or anything about my company. If you post anything about the company and they find it and don't feel it's appropriate they do have the right to fire you on the spot. We also have a forensics team that goes and searches for these types of things.

Most companies have social media rules. I never ever talk about work in public or on the internet. I don't say where I work or anything about my company. If you post anything about the company and they find it and don't feel it's appropriate they do have the right to fire you on the spot. We also have a forensics team that goes and searches for these types of things.

Add to that when you are looking for a job a lot of employers are not looking for posts you've made to see what kind of a person you are. Several applications have asked me for my user name on Facebook etc.

Add to that when you are looking for a job a lot of employers are not looking for posts you've made to see what kind of a person you are. Several applications have asked me for my user name on Facebook etc.

Yes, I know a lot of companies do that (although more discretely) as a part of the background check on new associates. I know that I do a quick search myself when I look over resumes.

In the aviation industry, pax are sometimes referred to as SLF.

SLF = Self Loading Freight.

The following snippet of conversation took place earlier this year.

French coastal station: "Persons on board?"

Officer of the Watch: "560 crew, 1812 passengers"

French coastal station: "Any dangerous cargo?"

Officer of the Watch: "Only the passengers"

VP

I was wondering where the crew members might have a forum or blog. I would love to hear what they have to say about us cruisers.

Jim

I worked for the concession running the hotels at Yellowstone National Park one summer in college. We called the tourists "tourons" and did a lot of eye rolling. You probably do not want to know. :D

I found out that there is a website for the people in the pharmacy profession to put their frustrations down. Wow, it's crazy what people see and how they are treated by their customers!

There are probably all kinds of websites for various professions.

Honestly it would be interesting to read what kind of things the crew see and go through.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Forums mobile app