Switch from Seadream to Seabourn Pride??

sunswimsail

We love small ships, especially Seadream but have to make quick decision on whether to literally "jump ship" for Jan 4 sailing. Will incur flight reroutung costs but have concerns with SD boat. Any feedback would be appreciated. Have never been on Seabourn. Thanks

Yes, do do it. We know both lines, and they have more in common than differences. I believe SD are having engine problems, so would highly recommend 'jumping ship' and trying SB. You may even find you prefer Seabourn - we certainly do!

Both are great lines, you may end up preferring one over the other but there is not much in it!! We are SB fans as there is a little more entertainment and dining options, SD is slightly more casual in style and management but we felt SD's food was fabulous.

You will have a great time on either!!

I agree...just do it. We dragged ourselves to Seabourn......and were so pleasantly surprised. You will like the slightly larger suite.....and the bathroom is a definite plus over SD. The pleasant crew and staff are in the same catagory..........and the food on both are wonderful.

We also have sailed both (but I have yet to sail on the newer, bigger Seabourn ships). You will find the small ships very reminiscent of the best parts of SeaDream but with the added attraction of more dining venues and indoor public spaces. The cabins are also quite a bit larger, especially in the bath. Food and service, Imho, is virtually equal but I do like the choices of venue on Seabourn. For the Caribbean, given operating engines, I prefer SeaDream as the pool deck area is much nicer. The pool on the little sisters has long been derided as near un useable due to its location crammed in the dark between the stacks.:eek: But, given all the issues, I think you made a wise choice and I bet you will love Seabourn.:D

Jim Avery - you are quite right about the difference in the pool area, and also the TOY bar as compared with the Sky bar on the small Seabourn ships. Those are the main - and to my mind only real - areas where Seadream wins. On the bigger Seabourn ships this does not apply so much, as the pool area and patio bar are a big improvement. Keen swimmers would not be at all impressed by the tiny badly positioned pool on Pride.

We are just off an 11 day cruise on the Pride (Fort Lauderdale to Aruba).

The Pride having completed dry dock repairs the 1st week of December is in pristine shape.

Pride's crew was extremely attentive, professional and provided amongst the best service we've ever had on SB or, any other cruise line.

The Pride cuisine was incredibly good. Caviar and champagne flowed. Ask for special requests and they'd deliver em with smiles.

We'd take the Pride again in a heartbeat if I had the time...it's that good.

Pride's days are numbered flying the SB flag and you won't have another chance.

___‹~›__‹(•¿•)›__‹~›___

Edited by Kilroyshere

We are just off an 11 day cruise on the Pride (Fort Lauderdale to Aruba).

The Pride having completed dry dock repairs the 1st week of December is in pristine shape.

Pride's crew was extremely attentive, professional and provided amongst the best service we've ever had on SB or, any other cruise line.

The Pride cuisine was incredibly good. Caviar and champagne flowed. Ask for special requests and they'd deliver em with smiles.

We'd take the Pride again in a heartbeat if I had the time...it's that good.

Pride's days are numbered flying the SB flag and you won't have another chance.

___‹~›__‹(•¿•)›__‹~›___

Was Karl Eckl your Hotel Manager on that cruise?

We did Seabourn Pride around the UK in September, and just got off SeaDream I 10 days ago in Costa Rica.

Both rate top notch in my book, but given the engine and some other issues on SD at this time, I would take the Pride over SD for the foreseeable future.

As an aside, we purchased an open-booking reservation with SB on our last cruise, but decided not to do so with SD given the current issues.

Sailing on SB was fate. Our flight to Panama that we would have taken to board SD was just canceled, as I am sure many more will be. Hopefully flight to Aruba on Saturday will be good to go. We booked so late we didn't have time to get package from SB so scrambling for information and to make land arrangements on both ends. For the first time ever I was packed early, but now feeling like my SD packing might be too casual for SB??? Any advice on best time to embark? How about advise on dining reservations on the Pride? Appreciate any suggestions and hints for our first trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sailing on SB was fate. Our flight to Panama that we would have taken to board SD was just canceled, as I am sure many more will be. Hopefully flight to Aruba on Saturday will be good to go. We booked so late we didn't have time to get package from SB so scrambling for information and to make land arrangements on both ends. For the first time ever I was packed early, but now feeling like my SD packing might be too casual for SB??? Any advice on best time to embark? How about advise on dining reservations on the Pride? Appreciate any suggestions and hints for our first trip.

Suzanne - boarding - arrive any time after 12 noon; you should be allowed on board by 1 at the latest, but will only get a sandwich type lunch, though with unlimited champers and wine etc. Clothes - casual essentially fine, just get any men to take one jacket, preferably with tie but not essential, for the 'formal optional'. When you reach your suite look at the note which says what nights are what type of dinner in the verandah cafe /restaurant 2, and book at the reception desk for those. You can often get in another night if you want to by asking at the desk if there is room. Dining at restaurant 2 on the small ships can be lovely on an evening suitable for sitting outdoors, not so attractive if indoors.

Hope you have a wonderful time, do report afterwards.:)

W'd echo the last post's advice from Lincslady.

In the MDR, you can have any kind of table you wish...a 2-top or large group when you show up.

The Veranda at breakfast and lunch is first come first served for more popular outdoor seats. We never had difficulty finding them but sometimes had to share a large 6-top with others.

Restaurant 2, each night has a different menu. When we arrived, they did not disclose the menus in the information sent to our cabin but for, only that night's menu.

We knew from previous cruises that we wanted the Thai, Indian and Steakhouse nights in particular. Indian is the most popular and in our opinion the must go to night if you like Indian fare.

One of the first things we did when boarding was going to reception. They eagerly put us down for firm reservations on Indian night, priority status for Thai and wait listed Steakhouse night, all at our requested 7:30 for 2.

We got calls each day of those nights confirming all our reservations and requests.

Regarding formal v. casual. The Pride was more casual than any SB cruise we've taken. I think that reflects more the passengers and changing attitudes objecting to schlepping a tux and formal gown than the Pride itself.

My advice would be for men to bring a sportcoat and one tie. And don't expect jeans to be allowed at night in the MDR as posted, though we saw a few folks with em!

We know you will enjoy your Pride cruise very much...

___‹~›__‹(•¿•)›__‹~›___

Edited by Kilroyshere

SB Caribbean will be just a tad less casual than SD Caribbean. We arrived at 1:00 pm for our SB cruise and they let us on the ship. I prefer the main dining room on the Pride and only dined in the alternative once -- book on the first day and you should have lots of choices for date or time.

Years ago SB bought the then Sea Goddess. We had been cruising on the SG II for a few years and loved it. We were not sure if we wanted to move up to the “big Ship’s”, which are the 200 passenger little sisters. We are now platinum on SB and love them. Would be higher, but we have not retired yet like many of our SB friends. Just got off the Pride Dec 22, which was the only ship we hadn’t cruised. My wife and I love the small ships, but they are leaving. The new larger ships are not as intimate, but our young adult kids love them. They talked us into going on them and we have learned to love them as well. You will not regret the move. The service is exceptional, more itineraries, and amenities. We call embarkation day “Being Seabourn Again Day”. Make the move…….

Cheers