Freedom coming to Galveston in 2015??

Ladysilver

While this is only our third cruise, I have to admit that Galveston has been the most work of any of them in terms of organizing the transportation. It was also by my calculations more expensive to fly into and drive around than any of the Florida ports would have been. I wanted the itinerary but the only real reason I could justify the cost was because the cruise itself was on a discount at the time. So for people flying in, that's also something they'll be considering.

I have to agree with the transportation costs and hassle of Galveston, relatively speaking. I'm sure it's nice for folks who live within a comfortable driving distance and I sure wouldn't mind being in that category. However, we did Galveston once (we're in AZ) and the cost of flying from here to IAH or HOU has been comparable to Florida and getting from IAH to Galveston was a chore (it took about as long as the flight from PHX to IAH). We've done all Florida cruises since (Tampa, FLL) and couldn't be happier with the airfares or convenience of the airport and hotels to the cruise ports.

With the Panama Canal happenings ... There will be certainly changes in the cruise industry for Galveston

Maybe, maybe not. While the new canal will handle bigger ships, the bridges which currently span the canal cannot, and I think few if any of the ships later than the Radiance class can fit under them. The new canal may however allow for the larger ships to do partial transits in and out of Gatun.

wait, HOUSTON has a port too?! oh boy. and here I thought I would only have galveston to play with when we move to San Antonio next year....

Search google for: houston bayport

"If the build it, will anyone come?"

Edited by Jimnbigd

Well, if it is, its after 4/26/15. That is usually when ships do their repositioning. Maybe I can do a B2B and go from Port Canaveral to Galveston.

If it happens, my bet would be for November 2015. That's when both the Anthem should be deploying to PE and the Allure would be coming back from its dry dock in Europe. I could see the Anthem doing the Allure's routes in PE, allowing the Allure to go to PC when coming back from Europe to replace the Freedom, which in turn would be free to relocate. Then, when Anthem leaves PE in the Spring of 2016 for Southampton, that's when Oasis III is supposed to be ready, so it could just head to PE to replace Anthem and give PE two Oasis class again. Pure speculation, but the schedules, both ship- and facility-wise, do fit nicely.

This is the only reference to the Freedom of the Seas coming to Galveston in 2015 I can find. Does anyone know anything else that would verify this? :confused:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=41038870&postcount=869

On our fog cruise, a few years back, the captain said that the voyager only has 30 feet clearance to make a turn. That's why we left two days late, while the smaller carnival ship left only one day late. Not sure freedom would fit, unless they're widened the channel.

Sent from my KFJWA using Tapatalk HD

We hope not! That would be as bad as putting a Tex Mex restaurant in place of the Dungeon on the NOS....

I agree; got my butt chewed for that the other day. Why would I spend my money for Mexican food when we have some of the best around? We have our favorites and nothing can compare. And we're talking $25 for 2 people, including a couple of beers!