Cruise to Nowhere

cwnhokie

We are thinking about doing the 2 night cruise to nowhere on the Breakaway in January. We have about a 4 hour drive from the Baltimore/Washington area. Trying to decide whether to take the train or drive. My husband is afraid that it will be too short and will be a tease, but for the price it almost seems like a no brainer. Anyone done it before? Thoughts? We have never sailed NCL or out of NY and thing we should no about?

We are thinking about doing the 2 night cruise to nowhere on the Breakaway in January. We have about a 4 hour drive from the Baltimore/Washington area. Trying to decide whether to take the train or drive. My husband is afraid that it will be too short and will be a tease, but for the price it almost seems like a no brainer. Anyone done it before? Thoughts? We have never sailed NCL or out of NY and thing we should no about?

We did a two nighter out of Boston and had a great time. In a way it is just a tease, but it is still a two night get away. I would imagine that the cost of the cruise is equal to or better than a two night stay in New York when you factor in entertainment and meals. (We were looking at a two nighter on the Gem for 1/10 and the insides were $22 each, about $250 total once taxes and fees were added.)

Since the cruise will be in January, I would definitely take the train the day before. Give yourselves some leeway, to allow for weather delays. Relax and leave the driving to Amtrak.

I have never done a cruise to nowhere, or anything less than 7 days, because it would be too much of a tease. But, on the other hand, it would be a great weekend get-away.

Enjoy your cruise.

Looking at your signature, we were on the Pride cruise the week before you. The one you are talking about for $22, is that one night or two?

That one may have been 1 night now that you mention it. We really enjoyed the Pride.

Edited by sparks1093

We live near NYC and we have done many one and two night cruises to nowhere out of NYC. I wouldn't travel far for just a one or even two nighter. If you can build more days in to be in NYC, maybe.

A CTN is a lot of fun. The prices this season have dropped to quite low.

Edited by mizlorinj

Taking the train and leaving the night before adds a hotel room to the cost which slowly makes it not such an awesome deal. Not to mention taking an extra day off of work or arriving in NY at midnight. Decisions, decisions...

Would we be taking the train to Penn Station? I know nothing about NY

While the Gem is doing its 9 Day Eastern Caribbean about once a month to get back on schedule they have a one night CTN. The prices for inside have been very low the past two one days but you have to remember its about $100 a person in tax no matter what the cabin price plus the DSC.

No matter I still try to do it, will look to February for the next one (have to work January). If I stayed in an Hotel with show and dinner in NYC it equals the one night cruise for me, and its just a carry on bag and subway/bus ride for me.

FWIW

Looking at your signature, we were on the Pride cruise the week before you. The one you are talking about for $22, is that one night or two?

The NCL Gem cruise to nowhere are for 1 night only.

The Breakaway is for 2 nights

Some friends and I did the 1 night on the Gem on 12/13 and had a blast!

Sure it is a bit of a tease but the prices are too good to pass up especially if you want to try out a new ship. I sailed the Breakaway to Bermuda a few months ago and she is a beautiful ship; you will thoroughly enjoy even just a 2 night cruise. There is SO much to do!

Life is short so travel as much as your wallet allows :D

Flew up from FL in 2008 with a friend for a 1 night on the NCL Spirit, it was my first NCL cruise, I was hooked. Flying up in January for 2 night CTN on the Getaway and a weekend in NYC, different friend, but first is now my SIL and jealous cause I am taking someone else. Not my fault she couldn't get off work to go. In the mean time, hubby is being left home as well.

FUN TIMES.

Hello - I live in the DC area and sailed the BA in May 2013. We took the 10a Acela out of Union Station the day of the cruise and was on the 9a Acela going back the day we returned. It was maybe a 10 minute ride from Penn Station to the terminal. This was the 3rd cruise out of NY but the first time we decided to take the train. Based on our experience, I don't think I would drive again.

Also if you are looking at the one on the 31 the Getaway will also be in port as a SuperBowl hotel and no one seems to know if there will be enough parking. We are doing it but coming from Long Island so we will take the train to Penn Station and cab from there.

Also if you are looking at the one on the 31 the Getaway will also be in port as a SuperBowl hotel and no one seems to know if there will be enough parking. We are doing it but coming from Long Island so we will take the train to Penn Station and cab from there.

SUPERBOWL WEEKEND _Manhattan will be crazy with many street closures even prior to the weekend for Fan fest, and the Getaway will be at the pier for a Bud Light superbowl party-- gonna be crazy.

We live in Queens, and even though I NEVER take the train, we will be that weekend!!

Safe sailing

Going on the Breakaway 2 night in a few weeks. Have always been on 7 plus days so I am wondering what they do for evening entertainment etc. Do they keep the same schedule and activities as they normally would....are all specialty restaurants open....what about the cirques show?????