Royal Princess Soot Issues on AFT cabins

Princess#2

Do very disappointed. I finally decided to call Princess this morning to find out about the posts I've been reading on Cruise Critic about the soot issues affecting the AFT cabins of the Royal Princess. I spoke with an agent who then put me through to a Manager. She was very nice and told me that Princess was aware of the issue and it is not repaired. The only options she could offer were to stay in the cabin we booked, or change to a balcony cabin (not deluxe) or upgrade to a mini-suite. Since mini-suite price was lower than what we paid we would get a refund. Io I said I would check with my husband. She gave me her direct # and I called back 5 minutes later and got her voicemail. I tried calling for over an hour and then worried about losing any mini-suite cabin choices I called an agent who then put me through to another customer service rep after being on hold for 20 minutes. I spoke with this person and she told me there were no mini-suites left (and the prices went up $860 per person!) there was nothing she could do but to put a note on my booking and if something became available they would email me. I gave her a cell number to call as well. Then she told me she was not aware of any soot issues on the Royal Princess. Yikes... this is so disturbing. I am so disappointed to now be stuck with an AFT cabin that I will not be able to enjoy because of these soot issues that only affect the back balconies. The Manager I spoke with in the morning said the cabin stewart wipes everything done every morning but that the soot would return. I am so sad that I didn't just go ahead and change cabins... my fault for being so slow to check on this issue with Princess. I am not even excited about going on this cruise now... We so enjoy using our own balcony to read and relax. Oh well...

Do very disappointed. I finally decided to call Princess this morning to find out about the posts I've been reading on Cruise Critic about the soot issues affecting the AFT cabins of the Royal Princess. I spoke with an agent who then put me through to a Manager. She was very nice and told me that Princess was aware of the issue and it is not repaired. The only options she could offer were to stay in the cabin we booked, or change to a balcony cabin (not deluxe) or upgrade to a mini-suite. Since mini-suite price was lower than what we paid we would get a refund. Io I said I would check with my husband. She gave me her direct # and I called back 5 minutes later and got her voicemail. I tried calling for over an hour and then worried about losing any mini-suite cabin choices I called an agent who then put me through to another customer service rep after being on hold for 20 minutes. I spoke with this person and she told me there were no mini-suites left (and the prices went up $860 per person!) there was nothing she could do but to put a note on my booking and if something became available they would email me. I gave her a cell number to call as well. Then she told me she was not aware of any soot issues on the Royal Princess. Yikes... this is so disturbing. I am so disappointed to now be stuck with an AFT cabin that I will not be able to enjoy because of these soot issues that only affect the back balconies. The Manager I spoke with in the morning said the cabin stewart wipes everything done every morning but that the soot would return. I am so sad that I didn't just go ahead and change cabins... my fault for being so slow to check on this issue with Princess. I am not even excited about going on this cruise now... We so enjoy using our own balcony to read and relax. Oh well...

I would still try to reconnect with the manager you initially spoke with. Maybe she still can do something for you. I returned from the Royal on 12/22 and really liked the ship. I know the soot issue is a true downer. Maybe Princess could give you a nice OBC (never hurts to ask). Please get excited about your cruise. You will have a lovely time as there are many wonderful aspects to this ship. Good luck!

Thank you for your recommendations. I will cheer up I'm sure. It's just that I am so disappointed about this soot issue. Really I'm to blame I should have asked the Manager to hold one of the mini-suites for me while I tried to connect with my husband.

We both enjoy using the balcony and I don't want to end up getting dirty or tracking soot into the cabin.

I shouldn't have left it so late before we depart on Jan 19. Oh well lesson learned.

Thanks so very much for your kind words and recommendations.

You can only blame yourself for not pulling the trigger, these mgr are very hard to get a hold of after you hang up.Just make the best of it.

You can only blame yourself for not pulling the trigger, these mgr are very hard to get a hold of after you hang up.Just make the best of it.

Did you read the OP's latest post. She already did blame herself. There's no need to rub it in - geesh!!

Is the soot a health problem? I would be more concerned about the respiratory issues that it may pose.

So sorry you nearly had a solution but missed the opportunity to rectify it. I think you should be placing any blame fairly & squarely on your husband. It was his unavailability at the crucial time of your call that created the end result ;):p. I say give him heaps until he relents with jewellery, fine dining or a showering of gifts :D. Hopefully you are now smiling a little. Please remember there are countless inside cabin pax that would gladly swap with you.

I bet you will have a great cruise and giggle about it all afterwards!:)

Great news and lucky for us we were able to move cabins! After being disappointed with myself for not acting quick enough once I read about the soot issues - and feeling let down by Princess... I am thrilled to report that Princess came through for us. A cabin became available mid-ship and they relocated us! So I graciously eat my words about my disappointed with Princess. They came through for us and I am so very grateful to the customer service Manager. Thanks everyone for your support and kind tips. Now I can finally say I'm looking forward to our cruise!