snorkling for sissies

lmtk

We will be in Grand Cayman in Jan. And would like to go to a beach that also has snorkeling, trouble is we've never snorkled and we're not expert swimmers-my daughter only doggie-paddles so deep water and undertows are not for us. Is there anywhere shallow where we can just put our face in the water?

We will be in Grand Cayman in Jan. And would like to go to a beach that also has snorkeling, trouble is we've never snorkled and we're not expert swimmers-my daughter only doggie-paddles so deep water and undertows are not for us. Is there anywhere shallow where we can just put our face in the water?

This is one of those few times that we would strongly recommend taking an organized snorkel excursion (we generally dislike any tour). The cruise line tour will provide the necessary equipment and will generally help any novices. Cruise ships snorkel tour always require everyone to wear a BC (an inflatable vest). Most of the buoyancy compensators have a manual valve where the swimmer can partially inflate the vest (with a few puffs of air). This is a good solution to those who have some fear of the water.... You should verify all this with your ship's tour desk.

The thing about Grand Cayman is that the best snorkeling is off-shore and done from boats. Snorkeling from the beach can actually be more difficult then doing it from a boat because on the beach you have to often deal with breakers and may have to swim some distance before you get to a decent snorkel area. From a tour boat they will take you to the best areas, there are no breakers off-shore, and you should be able to get help.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

This is one of those few times that we would strongly recommend taking an organized snorkel excursion (we generally dislike any tour). The cruise line tour will provide the necessary equipment and will generally help any novices. Cruise ships snorkel tour always require everyone to wear a BC (an inflatable vest). Most of the buoyancy compensators have a manual valve where the swimmer can partially inflate the vest (with a few puffs of air). This is a good solution to those who have some fear of the water.... You should verify all this with your ship's tour desk.

The thing about Grand Cayman is that the best snorkeling is off-shore and done from boats. Snorkeling from the beach can actually be more difficult then doing it from a boat because on the beach you have to often deal with breakers and may have to swim some distance before you get to a decent snorkel area. From a tour boat they will take you to the best areas, there are no breakers off-shore, and you should be able to get help.

Hank

Excellent advice.

Snorkelling is like down hill skiing. If you try to do it slow and limited, you are fighting with it.

Also, as a first timer, you will probably have one of the crew right there with you to assist.

... as a first timer, you will probably have one of the crew right there with you to assist.

I wouldn't count on that. I've been on a couple of Caribbean snorkel tours, on Antigua and Barbados, and neither one had enough spare crew to provide more than basic help for novices (of whom there were plenty). There was basic instruction while on the boat, and a helpful hand to jump in and climb out, but while in the water they only have time to make sure no-one's drowning.

Also, on an organised tour, you generally sail out to sea and jump in from the boat, miles from the shore, and there'll almost certainly be a swell. This doesn't sound like your sort of thing, from the original post.

I wouldn't count on that. I've been on a couple of Caribbean snorkel tours, on Antigua and Barbados, and neither one had enough spare crew to provide more than basic help for novices (of whom there were plenty). There was basic instruction while on the boat, and a helpful hand to jump in and climb out, but while in the water they only have time to make sure no-one's drowning.

Also, on an organised tour, you generally sail out to sea and jump in from the boat, miles from the shore, and there'll almost certainly be a swell. This doesn't sound like your sort of thing, from the original post.

My experience has been quite the oppostite.

On 3 excursions, crew was in the water, and actually pointing out the different coral and sea life.

Also, never came across any rough waters or swells. Maybe because we were not miles out in the sea, but in a nice cove that was pretty close to a shore line or island.

I could not imagine snorkeling somewhere "miles from shore".

As a first timer with minimal swimming skills and no ocean experience I did just fine on a boat snorkel. We did however make a point in choosing an excision that only had 12 people max on it. I had a great time and lots of assistance if I needed it.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Hiltner gave some really good advice. My son & I did a combo excursion in Cozumel & in all honesty it was the only time I was really afraid on an excursion. I am a good swimmer, I got my lifeguard cert in my teens. However my son is not a good swimmer. He's ok, he's done years of swimming lessons but we don't have a pool so it's not like he practices, but does have some skills.

We did the helmet dive part of the and after that there was snorkeling. They gave us vests, but we didn't want to go to far out. So we stayed closer to shore & the rest of the group was out further. We kept getting pushed more and more off line due to the current. I really had to dig deep to those old lifeguard skills to get us back on-line & able to grab the rope to pull ourselves back in. At no time was any of the crew looking at us or concerned with us since we weren't with the big group. I don't think my son ever realized how much trouble we could have been in (he was probably 8). Ever since then I really think twice when it comes to swimming excursions. There was once this summer in the Med we really wanted to do, but I put my foot down since I knew the swimming would be too involved.

I am going to jump-in (the water?) again. I taught my daughter to snorkel (when she was 5 years old) at Coki Beach, St Thomas. So learning (and building confidence) from a beach is doable....but you need the right beach. We do not know of any "right beach" on Grand Cayman. 7 Mile beach is the common place where most folks go for a beach, but this is not a particularly good place for snorkeling. There is a decent snorkel area only a few hundred yards from the tender pier which has it's own dive shop. But there is no beach and you have to enter from a platform (going down a ladder) and the currents in this area can be challenging for even the most experienced snorkeler/swimmer. The snorkel boat trips on Grand Cayman, can take you to some excellent snorkel spots where the currents are not a big issue. If one is a novice and needs help, you must tell the staff before you get in the water! In many cases you will also find some help among fellow passengers...but again, it is important to confess your fears and ask for some help. DW and I have helped many, over the years, but unless folks ask for help most will just ignore them and go on their own way. Snorkeling is actually easier then just swimming, but novices need to get over those initial fears...after which they start to relax and enjoy.

Hank

I am not a strong swimmer, overweight, and not in good shape, but I LOVE to snorkel. I would advise you to wear a life vest of some kind, and you'll be fine. If you relax, the vest will make it effortless to float, and you'll just kick a little to move around.

Contrary to what some others have said here, I snorkeled directly off the beach at 7 mile Island and really enjoyed it. I don't know if the waters were unusually calm that day, but we had many more swells while snorkeling off boats. Can someone advise if it's usually more rough? I wouldn't want to give bad advice!!

The first excursion I ever took was to Sting Ray City on Grand Cayman. (purchased on board). The Sting Ray Bar they take you to has water from 3 feet deep to about 6 feet deep. The excursion provided snorkels and masks. Even got the better half sort of into snorkeling. (If you count standing on the bottom and looking at the stingrays through the mask.)

Might be a good choice.

first, wear a snorkle vest so you don't get tired so fast and can just float on the surface with your face in the water. second, cemetary beach is a great place to snorkel from the beach. cemetary reef is easy swimming distance from the beach and the water has always been fairly calm when we were there. take a cab from near the port and get the cell number of the driver so you can call for a ride back when you're done. there are no facilities there so take water with you and a towel. there's plenty of shade to rest in.