Car rentals for per cruise land

lovetotraveltx

Most people recommend a round-trip car rental.

So, do you rent it from the anchorage airport and drop it back at the airport on your cruise day. Then take railroad or bus to Whittier?

Or, what else have you done?

Thank you!

Most people are wrong. Rent at Anchorage and return to Whittier even though there is a drop off charge. The drive to Whittier is really neat.

DON

If you want to avoid the drop off fee, then yes do a roundtrip rental from Anchorage and take a bus, train or private transfer to Whittier.

But the drive from Anchorage to Whittier is awesome. So if you haven't driven that portion in your earlier travels and if you can handle the 1 way drop off fee, then rent from Avis and do the drive.

Also, if you have more than a few people, the drop off fee might be pretty close to your cost for getting from Anchorage to Whittier.

Can we rent at airport and drop off at a downtown location, without a drop off fee, when I look at rates on line- they do not mention drop off fee's if drop off downtown. Looks like Avis and Enterprise have locations at airport and downtown. Budget also does but there website won't let me look at rates.

Renting at airports adds heavy taxes. I rent "off property." They pick you up and return you (and your luggage) to the airport and then you jump on the bus transfer right outside. Last year we were very lucky, the bus loaded less than five minutes after we got there.

The bus transfer is something you can pay for when you book/pay for your cruise.:)

They stop at a couple of places along the way as well (depending on your cruiseline).

Renting at airports adds heavy taxes. I rent "off property." They pick you up and return you (and your luggage) to the airport and then you jump on the bus transfer right outside. Last year we were very lucky, the bus loaded less than five minutes after we got there.

The bus transfer is something you can pay for when you book/pay for your cruise.:)

They stop at a couple of places along the way as well (depending on your cruiseline).

Sorry don't get it. When we arrive take taxi to town and get car by hotel??

July4

I always rent from Enterprise near the airport. i have found that off property is always cheaper. Price both the airport and the Enterprise @ 510 E. International Airport Rd. They also have an office downtown on 5th Ave.

I then take the train to Whitter. Set back and enjoy the scenery.

Renting at airports adds heavy taxes. I rent "off property." They pick you up and return you (and your luggage) to the airport and then you jump on the bus transfer right outside.

Which rental company do you rent from that picks you up on-airport and brings you to their off-airport location? That is very unusual, especially in Anchorage. I don't have of any rental company that has offered that service whenever I have checked, which has been quite often actually.

It is not unheard of to return people from off-airport locations to the airport, but I have never found one yet that will pick you up there.

Which rental company do you rent from that picks you up on-airport and brings you to their off-airport location? That is very unusual, especially in Anchorage. I don't have of any rental company that has offered that service whenever I have checked, which has been quite often actually.

It is not unheard of to return people from off-airport locations to the airport, but I have never found one yet that will pick you up there.

If you want to pick up in Anchorage and return to Whittier which is what I did, you have to rent from Avis as they are the only place that lets you drop off in Whittier.

We took a cab from the airport to the downtown Avis location to save airport fees. It was not expensive and was very convenient.

DON

If you want to pick up in Anchorage and return to Whittier which is what I did, you have to rent from Avis as they are the only place that lets you drop off in Whittier.

We took a cab from the airport to the downtown Avis location to save airport fees. It was not expensive and was very convenient.

DON

How much extra was the one-way rental?

We are visiting Alaska in August and plan to hire a car for 7 Days. I have been looking at a Hertz one way rental Anchorage to Seward with unlimited mileage.

I found no difference in the prices between Airport or downtown rentals.

The fee for one way drop off was about $150 for a full size car but only $50 for an SUV. Go figure.

When we went to AK a few years ago, we rented at the airport. When comparing the total cost of cab fare, convenience and time, it worked out best to rent immediately upon arrival in Anchorage. DH also had his corporate rate code for Avis, so that played into our decision. We had the car for eight nights; there were four of us sharing the drive experience. On our last afternoon in Anchorage, DH dropped off the car at the airport and the hotel [spring Hill] shuttle picked him up. We found a "tourist" restaurant that picked us up and dropped us off for dinner and a show that night.

The morning of our cruise, we got a taxi to take us to the AK RR station, checked in the luggage with Princess and took the train. Even though we had driven the route towards Whittier the day before, the train was a different experience. Somehow, we had the front seats in the forward car, so our trip along the rail was very special.

With the RR, we didn't have to be concerned with timing our trip through the tunnel. Plus, once the train arrived in Whittier, all we had to do was walk across the street and into the terminal. Luggage is trucked to the ship, too.

Lots of options, decide what will be best for yourself.

Darcy

DON

Yes, I understand all that. But the poster I quoted said that an off-airport car rental office picked them up at the airport. That is something I have never experienced in Anchorage. In fact, I thought it was against airport rules to do that. Also, even with airport fees, sometimes on-airport rentals are still cheaper than off-airport rentals. Wise travelers will check both options and not just assume that off-airport is cheaper because there are no airport fees.

So my question remains unanswered.

Edited by frugaltravel