Izumi

How is this priced? Like a shore side sushi restaurant? Is it open for lunch or just dinner?

Open for lunch and dinner. Cover charge of $3 for lunch and $5 or $6 for dinner, plus all items priced individually.

We were going to try it but I was somewhat disappointed with the a lac arte pricing. Not outrageous, but for the amount and types of sushi that we typically eat, times four of us in our family, it would have been a ~$100 lunch/dinner by the time gratuity was added. Not the amount of money I am interested in spending when on a cruise full of otherwise great complimentary food everywhere else.

If it was $15/$20 AYCE we would probably have entertained it, but a cover on top of a la carte pricing killed it for us.

Here's a tip. Most of the ships that I've been on that have Izumi host a Sushi Making Demonstration to promote the restaurant. At the end of the demonstration the passengers in attendance are invited to try the sushi prepared during the demonstration. The past couple of cruises I've been on very few passengers took advantage of the free sampling so those that did were told to take as much as they wanted. I basically had a complete meal of sushi for free . It was excellent ! If there is a Sushi Demonstration it will be posted in the Cruise Compass.

I saw the demo - it actually inspired me to try Sushi at home since we get back and what I learned was quite helpful - we had pretty good success ourselves making a variety of rolls here at home.

That said, on our last cruise at least, the Sushi demo in the centrum was completely picked over quite quickly as soon as the passengers got to it. Different cruises, different tastes, I guess. There was also a more private sushi course in Izumi one day but we were too late calling for a reservation and it was already full. I kicked myself.

Another place for good free sushi we discovered was the galley tour - contrary to the demo in the centrum there didn't appear to be much of a taste for Sushi this time around and there was a TON left over - the head chef invited us to go back in at the end of the tour and take whatever we wanted as it was just going to get tossed out moments later. Suffice to say I got my "sushi fix" for free in the end, as did several others in our group. :)

Edited by Oshawapilot

DW and I tried Izumi's twice on our recent Legend of the Seas cruise, and I thought for the fact that the sushi and sashimi are over a day old, it is excellent, and there are some items on the menu that are included in the $5.00 cover charge.

We were able to enjoy a good meal, with hot saki, and our bill was around $45.00. If we ate at Chops it would have been $60.00.

Will we go again, on another cruise........you bet!;)

Rick

We think Izumi is the best restaurant in the fleet. (Other than the Solarium Bistro on Oasis which is also great)

The lunch menu is very limited and mostly sushi. The dinner menu has so many things it's hard to choose. We love the a la carte pricing and find we can overeat for $15 each if we don't buy any alcohol. We both pick out what we want and then share. The included edamame and miso soup is nice. Prices are so low I could actually eat a full meal for less than $15.

We've never bought one of the offered combos. They aren't combined the way we want and we find the pricing better to just pick what we want.

The menu has changed a little bit in the last few months - for those who haven't eaten there in a while.

Gina

Edited by mommabean

Here's a tip. Most of the ships that I've been on that have Izumi host a Sushi Making Demonstration to promote the restaurant. At the end of the demonstration the passengers in attendance are invited to try the sushi prepared during the demonstration. The past couple of cruises I've been on very few passengers took advantage of the free sampling so those that did were told to take as much as they wanted. I basically had a complete meal of sushi for free . It was excellent ! If there is a Sushi Demonstration it will be posted in the Cruise Compass.

Thank you for the tip. We are on the Brilliance in a month and Izumi is on our to-do list. We will definitely look for the announcement in the Cruise Compass.

I just pre-booked Izumi @$10 per person. Any additional is added to the seapass, any less is credited to the seapass.

The $3 & $5 include gratuities.

Novel idea on my part - I went to the RCCL website & read instead of just asking on RCCL, but had I not asked here, I would not have known about the ability to eat sushi after the demonstration & after the galley tour. (Not that either of those are a great idea for me - I only eat the fish not the shell fish.)

I just pre-booked Izumi @$10 per person. Any additional is added to the seapass, any less is credited to the seapass.

The $3 & $5 include gratuities.

Novel idea on my part - I went to the RCCL website & read instead of just asking on RCCL, but had I not asked here, I would not have known about the ability to eat sushi after the demonstration & after the galley tour. (Not that either of those are a great idea for me - I only eat the fish not the shell fish.)

Sushi tasting isn't a part of the galley tour. That was an unusual offering for that poster's tour. I've been on more galley tours than I can keep count of and that was never offered. Rarely has any sampling been offered. But one time we were there for the chefs' tasting before the dinner hour. We all got to take a handful of plastic spoons and take a bite of each dish to be served that night, just as the chefs do. If anything isn't quite right, they know it at that time. Afterwards the executive chef gave the sous chefs a pep talk and thanked them for their great work that day. Had that been my only tour, I might have thought that was a standard part of the tour - like a sushi sampling.

Gina

Thanks. It is important to remember that some things are "one of" or "random."

Another one of those randomizers with me specifically is that I am so rarely where I am supposed to be when I am supposed to be there while on ship.;)

I totally lose track of time, or get wrapped up in something else. (Without giving any consideration that I am traveling as a family & have their schedules to keep in mind too. I do give them consideration - I meant that I can't do X if my son is doing Y.)

We took the Sushi Making Class on the Legend. Although it cost $25 each, it was well worth it;). We not only learned how to make sushi, we also got to eat our creations:D. Our leftovers were packed up so we could enjoy them in our cabin later.

We were on the Legend of the Seas November 2013 and Izumi was part of the Chef’s Table Dining Package we purchased. It was during dinner at Izumi’s (dinner was delicious btw) that I learned of the sushi making class happening the next day. The class was sooooo much fun, and not as easy as Chef Dexter made it look. We learned how to make and roll the different types of sushi, cut it, and present it. I would definitely do this class again.

attachment.php?attachmentid=297753&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1388962715

Not only did we have dinner and I did the sushi making class, but I went back for lunch ($3 cover). I had the Tuna Tataki ($8), Dragon Eel($8) and a Kirin Lager($4.75). I had sushi leftovers for later.

attachment.php?attachmentid=297754&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1388962752

MySushiMaking.jpg.ef5761d2e68d58a994a12226b2962900.jpg

IzumiLunch114kb.jpg.21eac0b4cfd46f475f4258a49eb57d13.jpg