Potatoes

TowandaUK

French Fries,or as you might call them fries or chips are always available as are other options if you request them ahead of time from your maitre d'

You can even get them raw for a refreshing change.

Just browsing MDR menus. It seems like it's mashed potatoes with everything. Are there alternatives or is mash the only option?

I loved the Bangers & Mash in the Golden Lion on Cunard, but I see your point. I'm sure you can get a substitute. It's not like you're ordering "off menu" Ask for another veg. such as carrots, peas,corn. Sometimes they can't do it the first night, but once they know your preferences, it should be easy for them to accomodate you. Another thing to try, is a sorbet "intermezzo" between the app. & your main dinner. Nicely refreshing.

We were on Constellation and got off on Dec.9th. Yes, there were mashed potatoes galore in the MDR. More than we have ever seen in our past 20+ Celebrity cruises.

Here's my very astute DH's take on this. What's quick and easy to prep - mashed potatoes (is the peeling done on board or do the potatoes come peeled or are we talking flakes) or scalloped potatoes, au gratin casseroles, croquettes, duchess potatoes, etc.? More staff is needed in the specialty restaurants' kitchens to prep the more creative dishes so therefore staff for the MDR is cut back.

Food for thought..:cool:

On our Eclipse cruise I certainly noticed that there were those scoops of mashed potatoes with just about everything. I did order a baked potato one night but it was underdone.

The plethora of potatoes was so noticable that upon returning home I did write a message on this board about it-- it is here somewhere.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1830215

The potatoes tasted fine. The problem was frequency!

On our Solstice cruise in Oct 13 we had several nights where there was an option of polenta or mash pots. The waiter said he needed to be sure of what was wanted since several people had disliked the polenta and had to have new dishes with mash. We got the polenta and loved it.

I love the mashed potatoes since I never make them except at Thanksgiving and then I'm too busy to eat them. I'm the only one in the house right now who likes them so it isn't worth the effort to make. Baked are easier than mashed, despite others comments. So my husband orders the baked potato and I enjoy my mashed.

B

Thanks for all your replies. I actually love potatoes - it's my favourite accompaniment. Roast potatoes are my favourite - but also sauté, duchesse, wedges, dauphinoise, fondant, galette, new boiled, rosti, and hasselback. So disappointed that X MDR majors in mash with the occasional baked.

We were on Constellation and got off on Dec.9th. Yes, there were mashed potatoes galore in the MDR. More than we have ever seen in our past 20+ Celebrity cruises.

Here's my very astute DH's take on this. What's quick and easy to prep - mashed potatoes (is the peeling done on board or do the potatoes come peeled or are we talking flakes) or scalloped potatoes, au gratin casseroles, croquettes, duchess potatoes, etc.? More staff is needed in the specialty restaurants' kitchens to prep the more creative dishes so therefore staff for the MDR is cut back.

Food for thought..:cool:

Being in the food industry(catering company)I'll give a few insights. Food aboard most large ships is really an elaborate banquet meal. It's prepared in the galley, but really massed produced. You'll find mostly potato "buds" on the cheaper lines..Carnival/Princess/NCL(especially!)/RCCL. Next step are "pre" peeled sliced potatoes(we use these often!)they're potatoes, just prepped/skinned/sliced before they come on board. If one goes bad, the whole bag will spoil amazingly fast! Inspection is vital here. Next step up are mashed potatoes with "bits" of skin in the mash. These may either be mashed whole on board or actually bought prepared on land. The quality with these is actually quite good. There are, of course a certain amount of whole potaoes for those who do like baked. The potato buds have a distinct "grainy" texture. You really can't blend that out. Hope this helps a bit.

I don't have menus in front of me, but honestly I do not remember being overwhelmed with only mashed potato offerings. I seem to remember various other types like roasted. DH often orders a baked potato, and I often ask for white rice on the side. These are always options.

I loved the Bangers & Mash in the Golden Lion on Cunard, but I see your point. I'm sure you can get a substitute. It's not like you're ordering "off menu" Ask for another veg. such as carrots, peas,corn. Sometimes they can't do it the first night, but once they know your preferences, it should be easy for them to accomodate you. Another thing to try, is a sorbet "intermezzo" between the app. & your main dinner. Nicely refreshing.

Can you do this? :eek: Love this 'course' and have really missed it :) :D

Thew intermezzos are great,particularly on formal nights, but I find Champagne does the job for me quite well.

Can you do this? :eek: Love this 'course' and have really missed it :) :D

We always did it on Cunard & never any problems. I will say that most likely it won't be available the first night. They're way too busy figuring out the seating arrangements, etc. but on the second night through the rest of the trip it should be fine. We plan to do this as well on our Jan.25 trip. Due to us booking late(the day after Christmas)we're in select dining & waitlisted for first seating. I'll pay the Maitre D a visit upon boarding & see if we can change to first seating.

I don't have menus in front of me, but honestly I do not remember being overwhelmed with only mashed potato offerings.

The only time I was ever overwhelmed with mashed potatoes was on a potato tasting vacation in Idaho. There were mashed potatoes to the left of me,mashed potatoes to the right of me,in front and in back...finally a mashed potato tsunami swept over us and we had to be rescued by a group of St Bernard dogs staying at a nearby resort for a dog show.

Edited by drfun48

The only time I was ever overwhelmed with mashed potatoes was on a potato tasting vacation in Idaho. There were mashed potatoes to the left of me,mashed potatoes to the right of me,in front and in back...finally a mashed potato tsunami swept over us and we had to be rescued by a group of St Bernard dogs staying at a nearby resort for a dog show.

That would be my DH's penultimate ideal vacation. :D Of course his glucometer would rebel and he'd probably go into a diabetic coma.

He says his ideal vacation would be is they held the potato tasting at Yankee Stadium.

Edited by Kellie Poodle

I love the mashed potatoes since I never make them except at Thanksgiving and then I'm too busy to eat them. I'm the only one in the house right now who likes them so it isn't worth the effort to make. . .
DD is not a fan of mashed, so it is usually "just me" who wants them but I do not deprive myself. I buy the small yukon gold (new potatoes) - quarter a couple of them and set them on to boil while I am cooking the main course. When they are soft, I drain them toss a bit of butter and a dash of milk and "smash" them. They are a bit more rustic than traditional mashed, but they satisfy my craving! :)