Passport - Imigration issue

vvnh16a

Later this month (January) we are cruising on the Silhouette to Mexico, Jamaica and Hati. But in early March we are travelling to a country we need to send away for visas. To get a Visa, you need to send your passport along with the visa application.

So how do I meet passport immigration requirements for this cruise if my passport is sent off to secure a visa necessary for travel in March?? Will a birth certificate with state side Drivers license or SS card be sufficient??

Has anyone experienced a similar problem??

There have been lots of threads on this topic. Just to stir the pot a little here is one that discusses the issues/problems you could experience if an emergency occurs while traveling without a passport.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1962200

To the OP, the first thing I would do is to find out how long you'd be without your passport when you send it away for the Visa. I know in Canada you can courier it and pay a little extra to have it couriered back which would greatly reduce the time you are without it.

If you are a US citizen, you can do a closed loop cruise with your birth certificate and state issued ID, like a driver's licence. You can also order a passport card, since you might have time to get that by the time you leave. If your family name has changed from your birth certificate, you should take along a bridging document showing the name change. Do not take your SS card, it doesn't do any good and is best left at home where it cannot be stolen.

You might also contact the country you are needing the visa for and see if you can send along a pre-paid Fed-Ex envelope to expedite the return of your passport.

The double entry Visa is required for travel to Zimbabwe, Africa. We were planning on using an expediter and it would still be 4-5 weeks to get the passport returned to us.

Has anyone used PVS International and Oversea Adventure Travel in Arlinton Va...the expediter we were planning to use??

One option is to get the visa(s) at the border while in country but this would delay our private group travel.

My dh who used to travel internationally often for his job often had this problem. You are allowed to have a duplicate passport for this reason.

Jane,

I am not sure that is the case. Like your dh I had two passports for 35 years while I was travelling on business. To get the two, my employer had to support my original application for the second passport. The first time I applied to renew one of my passports after I had retired the passport office sent me a form to sign that said I was still travelling in connection with my employers business. As I was unable to make such a statement I had to surrender one of my passports. I still don't know how the passport knew I was retired. Ah! well..

Jane,

I am not sure that is the case. Like your dh I had two passports for 35 years while I was travelling on business. To get the two, my employer had to support my original application for the second passport. The first time I applied to renew one of my passports after I had retired the passport office sent me a form to sign that said I was still travelling in connection with my employers business. As I was unable to make such a statement I had to surrender one of my passports. I still don't know how the passport knew I was retired. Ah! well..

You are correct - dh just confirmed that his 2nd passport is no longer "active" as he has retired.

Get in touch with CIBT. They are, I believe, the largest visa processor around. I know Celebrity recommends them. See what they can do. It's worth a call.

BTW, I completely understand. My dentist is in Mexico( I live near the border) and I need my passport to get back into the US. I have to time my dental cleanings around sending my passport off for visas.

Zimbabwe sounds awesome. Are you doing a safari?

The double entry Visa is required for travel to Zimbabwe, Africa. We were planning on using an expediter and it would still be 4-5 weeks to get the passport returned to us.

Has anyone used PVS International and Oversea Adventure Travel in Arlinton Va...the expediter we were planning to use??

One option is to get the visa(s) at the border while in country but this would delay our private group travel.

Rich, if you're on the OAT Ultimate Africa Safari, just get your visa at the border with the Trip Leader. Many posts on the OAT board about this and the 'delay' is minimal. Sometimes the expensive pre-travel visa holders took longer than the purchased-on-the-spot ones to be cleared.

Jane,

I too traveled internationally for work and believe that when the company submitted all documents substantiating the need for the second passport your SSN had to be included. That's probably how the US Passport Office knew you were retired.

PVS is not an expediter. it is an overpriced service that OAT uses. I have done this trip with OAT and got my visa on arrival. We did not delay the group, in fact we were through the process BEFORE the rest of the group. There are several strong opinions about this on the OAT forum for the trip you are going on.

If you decide to get the Visa through a service, google Zimbabwe Visa and find an expediter -- you don't have to use PVS. An expediter will not take 4 to 5 weeks.

Edited by snowskier