Something to ponder

I posted this on another thread, but thought I could get some strong opinions over in this forum.

Tonight I'm on my 3rd cup of coffee instead of my 3rd glass of wine. I promised to take my 9 year old son into town tonight to purchase the new Harry Potter book at Midnight.

In Texas you do sometimes see the following outfit at a formal event.

Black boots, freshly startched black wrangler jeans, black western belt with a huge silver and gold rodeo buckle, white shirt and bow tie, and a traditional or western tuxedo jacket, topped with a black felt hat. Something you might see on George Strait at the Country Music Awards.

Could this ensemble be considered ethinic formal wear or regional formal wear?

It's just 10:15 here, so I have about another hour before I leave, and then 45 minutes till I can get the book.

Both kids want to go now, but I suspect they both might be asleep by the time we get into town.

So, what would you think if you saw some cowboy in the get-up I described on formal night? Too regional, or if your a real cowboy OK?

It's just 10:15 here, so I have about another hour before I leave, and then 45 minutes till I can get the book.

Both kids want to go now, but I suspect they both might be asleep by the time we get into town.

So, what would you think if you saw some cowboy in the get-up I described on formal night? Too regional, or if your a real cowboy OK?

WAY too regional. It's a cowboy getup...and I would never consider that formal - and I have been to a few formal events in Texas.

I would consider it a get-up if a stock broker from New York was wearing it, but if your a cattle rancher from New Mexico, is it still a get-up? Or if you are a country western singer?

I live in Arizona's historic cattle country. They filmed John Wayne's Red River and the musical Oklahoma here.

At our local cafe, I will sometimes see guys in there with the whole casual cowboy attire including even a neckerchief like John Wayne used to wear. Some of these guys even have ten gallon hats. Funny thing is that this is not some guy in a get-up, this is a local rancher who just got finished with a cattle ride who's come in to get a bite to eat. Heck there is even a hitching post outside incase someone comes in on thier horse.

If one of these guys went on a cruise, why not wear a cowboy tuxedo.

I would consider it a get-up if a stock broker from New York was wearing it, but if your a cattle rancher from New Mexico, is it still a get-up? Or if you are a country western singer?

I live in Arizona's historic cattle country. They filmed John Wayne's Red River and the musical Oklahoma here.

At our local cafe, I will sometimes see guys in there with the whole casual cowboy attire including even a neckerchief like John Wayne used to wear. Some of these guys even have ten gallon hats. Funny thing is that this is not some guy in a get-up, this is a local rancher who just got finished with a cattle ride who's come in to get a bite to eat. Heck there is even a hitching post outside incase someone comes in on thier horse.

If one of these guys went on a cruise, why not wear a cowboy tuxedo.

I think regional attire is fine for non-formal nights and most regional attire is casual.

If there is such a thing as Cowboy Tuxedo, then it would be fine on the Captain's Night because it's formal and dressed up.

I think that men wearing hats indoors is unacceptable, whether it's a 10 gallon hat, a fishing hat w/ tourist pins in it or a baseball style cap. Hat's are for outdoors only, IMO.

It really isn't formal attire. I know several people in Texas that put on Tuxedos. Some people wear them and will defend it to death and you cannot talk them out of it. At that point it is up to the cruiseline to deal with it.

I posted this on another thread, but thought I could get some strong opinions over in this forum.

Tonight I'm on my 3rd cup of coffee instead of my 3rd glass of wine. I promised to take my 9 year old son into town tonight to purchase the new Harry Potter book at Midnight.

Black boots, freshly startched black wrangler jeans, black western belt with a huge silver and gold rodeo buckle, white shirt and bow tie, and a traditional or western tuxedo jacket, topped with a black felt hat. Something you might see on George Strait at the Country Music Awards.

I would lean towards regional. But do they have western tuxedo jackets?:o

It is a Texas Tux. Perfectly acceptable for many events here and included in the dress code for many different occasions. I wouldn't even blink if I saw someone in one for formal night since I would recognize it as formal. A Texan would not wear the hat inside.

I love this look and think it would really work on cruises out of Galveston. But that is just my opinion and is from a regional perspective. We all have different tastes, likes and dislikes. But they are just different not a reason to be rude, or put someone or some area down. When I hear differing opinions on dress I just think of it as an exchange of ideas with a regional slant.

Caviargirl - I love Texas and would not care to live in any other state. We may not dress as you wish but you will not find a state with friendlier or more helpful people. Even if you are rude or haughty we will still help you out if you should need it.

I have seen this look on formal nights on a cruise and I have to say....it sure stands out. Of course, the women accompanying the men have also had the big dresses, big hair and lots of makeup. But, I enjoy seeing this look, as well as any other "type" of look, as long as it is executed well. Many cruise lines do ask that jeans not be worn in the dining room, however.

One of my very best friends and another co-worker just moved to Texas this month. They both told me the people they have met so far have been wonderful, friendly and very neighborly. I don't know many of my neighbors, some of whom have lived close to me for several years :rolleyes: . The only part of Texas I've been to was the southwest corner, close to the border, not a pleasant memory.

Momafmeg,

You are right, I was bored, because I had to try to stay up the extra hours, but I was looking for interesting opinions, not a cat fight.

I found the thread about the ethinic formal wear to very interesting and since I have lived in Texas and Arizona most of my life, I was curious about how people from other regions might percieve a cowboy tuxedo.

I'm sorry if my post was inappropriate.

Momafmeg,

You are right, I was bored, because I had to try to stay up the extra hours, but I was looking for interesting opinions, not a cat fight.

I found the thread about the ethinic formal wear to very interesting and since I have lived in Texas and Arizona most of my life, I was curious about how people from other regions might percieve a cowboy tuxedo.

I didn't find your post inappropriate. And I learned something new....that there's a "Cowboy Tuxedo". Tell me more about what it looks like. I'm assuming the pants are regular suite fabric, not denim, right?

Oh, did you get the new Harry Potter book?

Jane

Jane, thanks for findingthis interesting. I think it is fun to get strong opinions, especially on something that I'm not really deeply invested in.

Here are some examples of a cow-boy tux:

http://www.sheplers.com/item.cfm?DI=072152&TID=052612&Start=7&page=category&ITEMSTART=10

Note that he is wearing a pair of western slacks and a belt istead of a cumberbun, but most often when you see this look it is worn with a pair of highly startched black jeans.

http://www.minskytux.com/images/photo/w102.jpg

The above pictures is definitely more casual with the jeans and the bolo tie.

And finally here is an example of a complete western tux, looks grey in the pictures but it says it only comes in black:

http://www.silverj.com/id71.html

I've seen around here a more tradtition also tuxedo jacket with the shirt and bowties, western belt and jeans at Christmas and New Years eve parties where this is no spacific dress code, so it certainly would fit in in that environment, especially when those parties are country dances with a band. I certainly think that the casual look with the jean and bolo is too casual for a cruise formal night. But I think the full westerntux could work on the right guy. But then again the look is kind of incomplete with out a hat, and I agree that they are inappropriate for the dining room. I also think that you have to be a real cowboy or rancher or atleast westerner to pull this look off in an enviroment where most people will be dressed in more tradtional tuxedos.

My husband is an engineer by trade, but a cowboy at heart, so around here he looks good when he dresses up in his more western attire, but I think I prefer him in the more traditional tuxes on the cruise. Last time he rented a beautiful tux with a traditioanl notch collar. The shop was wonderful and for a rental and 1/2 he got the tux, three shirts, two vest tie combos, and one cumber bun tie combo. He looked great but not very individual.

Any suggestions on a tux style that would still be traditional and yet distinctive.

I had great luck with the Harry Potter book. We got to the store about 11:45, just in time to see the costume contest and for my son to participate in the Trivia Contest. There were probably 250-300 peopel there. At 12:00 they started selling the books with 7 of the registers dedicated just to Harry Potter. The best part was that the book was on sale for $17.99 instead of the cover price of 29.99. Both kids stayed awake till we got home.

Your post was not inappropriate but interesting as I was not aware that there was a Western Tux. Now I've learned something new. Hey, I have to say the tuxes look great in the pics.

P.S. My daughter is going with us on the cruise and I would guess she'll have the new Harry Potter book for her reading on the plane. I'll wait for the movie as I love the films.

Momafmeg,

I do not think your post was inappropriate. I find the threads about what is considered "appropriate clothing attire" very interesting. Though I live in PA in a community that is not really very diverse culturally, my profession has enabaled a broad view of the many cultures of our world. It is interesting to read the many threads from all posters throughout the US and even occasionally other continents. However, it seems that transcultural education is somewhat lacking by many individuals.

My sister & brother-in-law hail from PA also but have been living in New Mexico for the past seven years. They have adapted to the style of dress common to their new "home" and wear it proudly where ever they travel. Remember when President G.W. Bush wore his cowboy boots to black tie events with his tuxedo?

IMHO people can wear what they feel most appropriate for their culture and for formal, informal or casual dress codes while still being respectful to the requirements of the occasion. This is a changing world and cultural sensitivity should be in everyone's thoughts and acceptance of their fellow man/woman.

I'm not being condenscending or preachy to others, just stating what is in my heart in hopes that others may consider that our world is very diverse and formal nights need not be so "black & white".

Jane, thanks for findingthis interesting. I think it is fun to get strong opinions, especially on something that I'm not really deeply invested in.

Of course! It's just fun and I've learned something new - never knew there was a cowboy tuxedo and didn't think you were egging us on to create fights here.

...... But I think the full western tux could work on the right guy. But then again the look is kind of incomplete with out a hat, and I agree that they are inappropriate for the dining room. I also think that you have to be a real cowboy or rancher or atleast westerner to pull this look off in an enviroment where most people will be dressed in more tradtional tuxedos.

Totally agree. Without the hats, you have to look hard to see the western detailing on the all black jackets. Am I correct in assuming that the ONLY footwear worn is cowboy boots?

The shorts jackets, without the hats, look like the jackets flamenco dancers wear, and since they too wear a heeled boot, the looks are almost interchangable. (don't tell that to any cowboy, they might get upset!)

The photo's of the tapesty style vests look like the kind I'm used to seeing in the "old west" movies by the rich gamblers. I can just see Paul Newman wearing one as he smokes a cigar and plays poker. :)

My husband is an engineer by trade, but a cowboy at heart, so around here he looks good when he dresses up in his more western attire, but I think I prefer him in the more traditional tuxes on the cruise. Last time he rented a beautiful tux with a traditioanl notch collar. The shop was wonderful and for a rental and 1/2 he got the tux, three shirts, two vest tie combos, and one cumber bun tie combo. He looked great but not very individual.

Any suggestions on a tux style that would still be traditional and yet distinctive.

Well, that's a hard one. The tuxedo is a "uniform" and men aren't really enouraged to look as individual in them as we women are in our formalwear. I guess the individualness comes in the accessories. Even though he rents the tux on your cruises, perhaps you should shop around and buy accessories like the cummerbund (that's the correct spelling), tie, cufflinks etc that are more distinctive. How about a watch fob? That'll make him stand out.

Jane

I think it is very interesting to see the different styles on formal nights. We are all from different parts of the world and have different ideas about what defines formalwear.

I definately think that we should adhere to the guidelines of dress for these nights, but find that if everyone wore the same cookie-cutter outfit, it would be boring. Wearing what you find as formalwear, depending on where you are from, defines who you are.

I personally would not wear western-wear as my formalwear, but I am not from that area. I think that each of us should be comfortable in what we wear and feel free to express who we are in our dress, but within the guidelines.

Just my 2 cents!:)

Black boots, freshly startched black wrangler jeans, black western belt with a huge silver and gold rodeo buckle, white shirt and bow tie

Well now that you posted pics of what you are referring too...then I would absolutely consider that to be appropriate. But I was thinking more along the lines of the text in your post...which I would not view as "formal". But I LOVE the western cut tux....very nice.

Growing up in West Texas area I have always seen the "cowboy tux" at formal events, including proms, weddings & social events. The men look very handsome dressed to the nines in their attire. As long as a man wore this outfit at any other formal event that he attended it would be fine for him to wear it on a cruise, but to wear it for "showing off" I believe that would be tasteless. As for the hat issue, any cowboy or gentleman would know better than to wear his hat at dinner.

Archived