Grinch Stole Christmas on the Last Day of Our Cruise

Eran0697

Original poster I totally understand where you are coming from and I understand why you feel as you do. If I left something in a secure place and it was gone and ONE person had access to my secure place I'd consider them a culprit also. Everyone posting here doesn't have a clue. IT COULD have been the steward just as it could have been any of her family. You don't know if every little penny a person who works for so little base pay rate would steal something. Maybe he wanted to give it to his girlfriend? Maybe he didn't steal it and it's still in the safe. It is a possibility but also it is naive to think that no stewards would steal on a cruise ship. All types of people, like in regular life have different morals.

I hope you get them back and I hope they were left accidentally but I totally "get" your feeling and yes you have every right to your suspicions.

The steward does not have access to the contents of the safe. Period. The only way possible would be if the OP was negligent in locking the safe, but then if that were the case, anyone could have taken the earrings, not just the steward.

We were on The Triumph last week, the ramp in Galveston was being repaired so we boarded on deck 0 just like you would in Key West, Cozumel etc... We briefly got separated from our group & waited by the entrance about 10 minutes. We were able to watch the employees going into Galveston. When getting off, Not only did they have to go through the same security check we do when initially boarding, They have to remove their shoes & the shoes are searched.

Not saying no employee would steal, just really don't know what they would do with them.

On one of our cruises, whoever was in the cabin before us apparently locked the safe with their card again after they cleaned it out.

So we couldn't open it to use it.

We told the cabin steward and asked if he could open it for us.

He said he doesn't have access to the safe and he would make a call to have it opened.

About an hour later 2 men in white uniforms showed up.

My son thought we were in trouble for something! LOL

Anyway, we had been on our way out, and they made us stay while they opened it. They both looked inside before they left to make sure it was empty.

They take this kind of thing seriously and we were impressed.

So I seriously doubt the earrings were stolen from the safe.

Not saying that NO steward has ever stolen anything from a cabin. They're not saints, they're people, but I do believe if something is missing from a safe....it was lost or removed by the guest or cabin mates of the guest. Not stolen.

I'm wondering if the op even "considered" the notion that she LOST or FORGOT them before accusing the most obvious {to her} suspect as a thief.

Original poster I totally understand where you are coming from and I understand why you feel as you do. If I left something in a secure place and it was gone and ONE person had access to my secure place I'd consider them a culprit also. Everyone posting here doesn't have a clue. IT COULD have been the steward just as it could have been any of her family. You don't know if every little penny a person who works for so little base pay rate would steal something. Maybe he wanted to give it to his girlfriend? Maybe he didn't steal it and it's still in the safe. It is a possibility but also it is naive to think that no stewards would steal on a cruise ship. All types of people, like in regular life have different morals.

I hope you get them back and I hope they were left accidentally but I totally "get" your feeling and yes you have every right to your suspicions.

The only person that has access to your "secure place" is you. Or whomever you allow to use the magnetic card you use to lock the safe with. If room stewards could access the room safe, it would be a pretty pointless "secure place" since the vast majority of the time they are in the room when you are not. If the OP left the earrings in the safe, then she should have made sure she took them out when she took out all of her other things that were locked up in her "secure place" that this thief of a room steward didn't take.:rolleyes:

not sure why everyone is saying that it could not be the steward because would he risk losing his job or what would he do with them or if the safe was left open that anyone could have taken them. Who was going to take them her husband or son? Doesnt the steward have access to the room? And seriously what would they do with them, do you not have pawn shops in your town or city? Have you never worked for a company where an employee has stolen anything that got them fired. Theft from company employees happens in all business. Money, product, etc. Not saying I agree with them but lets not make it sound like these cruise ship workers are saints and do no wrong.

Be positive. Before blaming someone else, wait and see what happens. This has happened to me on two occasions. Once, I had Carnival return my daughter's money, prescription mess, and an expensive necklace. Another time I left a hotel unable to find a necklace, thought the worst, but later found it.

Heck with an iPad, wallet, etc in the safe, I would think the "culprit" would have actually taken something of more value. :cool:

Bingo. These folks work around truly valuable things all the time, so I'm always equal parts amused and disgusted with posts that accuse them of stealing (relatively) inexpensive things.

Just wanted to let you know that my son left his iPod behind on our last cruise. We called immediately when we got home, and the ship was already out to sea; however, when it returned to port we got a phone call that it had been found in our cabin. Carnival mailed it back to us. My son was so happy, and we were so impressed.

A friend who went with me on a cruise last February lost a camera with all his pictures in it. He reported it but it was never found. Glad your son got his iPod back.

Some day she'll find them amongst her possessions. I'm hoping to find my ring and earrings from my December cruise. Since being home, I've searched for them in my cruise gear, but to no avail. I know I had them, scooped them into a safe place because they were small, I just can't find my safe spot. Someday I'll find them.

These folks work for several months away from home and would have no where to get rid of something if they had stolen it.

While I believe that, in this story, the cabin steward is NOT responsible for the missing earrings, these employees DO have the opportunity to get rid of something if they stole it. It would be very easy for them to steal an item, go ashore at the next port of call and either sell it for cash or go to a local post office or shipping store, put the item it in a package, and send it to a contact back home.

I go to Jacksonville often for work and my hotel is right across the street from a large Marketplace area. If the Fascination is in town, I always see Carnival crew members on their day off walking around and buying stuff. It would not be hard for one of them to swing by a packing & shipping store, a pawn shop, or to meet up with someone who'd take the stolen goods.

I'm in NO WAY generalizing or questioning the integrity of these workers (and I'm definitely NOT saying that the cabin steward is responsible in this situation) but if one of these workers wanted to steal something and get rid of it quickly, they'd have the opportunity to do so. To think otherwise would be naive.

Edited by Tapi

To the OP - sorry you lost your new earrings. I do have to agree with most and don't think you should accuse the room steward of stealing them when you really don't know what happened to them. I have found earrings on the floor in our cabin before. They could very well have been dropped on the floor when you emptied the safe, under the mat in the safe or still hidden in a corner. I hope you get them replaced by using your insurance policy.

Suspect and accuse have two different meanings.

Yes my earrings were in a presentation box.

Coincidence that other items were “lost/forgotten” 3 cabins down?

Thanks customer service for your help!

Actually the title of the thread states "stole" so to me that is accusing "someone" of stealing. And you also state "not sure who stole my earrings". I don't see how that can be read any other way.

Edited by Mysticks1

Some day she'll find them amongst her possessions. I'm hoping to find my ring and earrings from my December cruise. Since being home, I've searched for them in my cruise gear, but to no avail. I know I had them, scooped them into a safe place because they were small, I just can't find my safe spot. Someday I'll find them.

OMG, I just found them. I had a small zippered makeup bag, dumped the stuff out, and voila!

Maybe somehow her earrings made it into hubby's suitcoat or pants pocket for safe keeping.

Contact JohnHeald on his Facebook and I'm sure he will do his best to get them back for you and let you know the status of where they are. I agree with the others, To blame the cabin steward is not fair.

There is no reason to bother John with this... OP has already filed a claim and it will be taken care of..

Personally, I think you will get the earrings back as you probably left them in the safe and I am shocked that you immediately blame the Room Steward for this...

Do you not understand how hard these men and women work and how important their job is to them and their family? Do you really think the Room Steward did a disappearing act because he stole a pair of earrings? I don't think so..

Please come back here in a couple of weeks time and let us know that your earrings were found under the cloth in the safe and returned to you with an apology to your Room Steward... Having been on 24 cruises, I would never ever blame any of the Carnival Staff for anything that might disappear... another passengers, perhaps, a Carnival Staff Member, very doubtful....

There is no reason to bother John with this... OP has already filed a claim and it will be taken care of..

Personally, I think you will get the earrings back as you probably left them in the safe and I am shocked that you immediately blame the Room Steward for this...

Do you not understand how hard these men and women work and how important their job is to them and their family? Do you really think the Room Steward did a disappearing act because he stole a pair of earrings? I don't think so..

Please come back here in a couple of weeks time and let us know that your earrings were found under the cloth in the safe and returned to you with an apology to your Room Steward... Having been on 24 cruises, I would never ever blame any of the Carnival Staff for anything that might disappear... another passengers, perhaps, a Carnival Staff Member, very doubtful....

But in her last post, she said they were in a box.

I'm still curious about the whole thing. If the earrings meant so much to her, why did she forget them when packing up?

But in her last post, she said they were in a box.

I'm still curious about the whole thing. If the earrings meant so much to her, why did she forget them when packing up?

And magically in another post now its another cabin close by with missing items too.OP failed to mention this in the first post ;)

And magically in another post now its another cabin close by with missing items too.OP failed to mention this in the first post ;)

And I was wondering how she knew that? Carnival told her? Why?:confused:

The safe has a recessed area along the front edge and it's easy for small items like earrings and rings to get slipped where they are out of sight.

I can tell you from experience that the cabin stewards cannot access your locked safe. On one of my last cruises the safe had been left locked from the previous guests. I asked my cabin steward to unlock it and he said he would have to get his supervisor to do it.

I had to be in the cabin when it was unlocked and had to sign an inventory sheet that there wasn't anything found in the safe.

I hope you get your ear rings back, but that might only happen if the next guest turns them in.

Edited by okgirl

The safe has a recessed area along the front edge and it's easy for small items like earrings and rings to get slipped where they are out of sight.

I can tell you from experience that the cabin stewards cannot access your locked safe. On one of my last cruises the safe had been left locked from the previous guests. I asked my cabin steward to unlock it and he said he would have to get his supervisor to do it.

I had to be in the cabin when it was unlocked and had to sign an inventory sheet that there wasn't anything found in the safe.

I hope you get your ear rings back, but that might only happen if the next guest turns them in.

She said in the second post that they were in a box. How do you miss a box?

You flat out said "stolen". Not accused. And now that you see people aren't just rolling with the story, you want to change it up. I doubt anyone in customer service told you that items were lost or forgotten 3 cabins down. How would they know that unless you spoke to the exact customer service rep that dealt with that specific call as well. Of course the cabin steward could have taken them. You also COULD have lost them yourself. And that's the point. You laid out ONE scenario. The one that gives you the least amount of responsibility even though they were your precious earrings.

How do you know this?