a different passport question

sanger727

Okay, So this isn't the "do I need a passport" question, and in fact, it really doesn't relate to a cruise but I can't find any way to get this answered. The passport website has a phone number but when you call it only gives you the option to talk to a person to check your status, not to ask questions. I called the post office and they sounded clue-less. I emailed the passport people but I don't know how quickly they will respond.

Okay, so I had my passport issued in 2005 and it expires in 2015. In 2005, I always used my middle name on official documents (although my full name is on my birth certificate and social security card of course). So my name on my passport is first name, initial, last name. I am traveling in 2014 and a relative made the arrangements and she mistakenly used my full middle name

It's a big trip and she used travelocity for the flights, the flights are through multiple airlines, and then we switch over to a land tour who is making more flight arrangments and hotel arrangments for us... so the point I'm trying to make it that I think It would be too difficult and risky to try and switch over to the middle initial through them... and I've seen on delta's website how big they are with your name and spelling must match your passport exactly. So I don't want to travel internationally with this discrepency.

So, bottom line, I've decided just to renew my passport early. I don't know how to do this to make sure that they use my full middle name and not just my middle initial in this one. Has anyone dealt with a similar situation or have training where they might know a little about how to deal with this situation?

Usually the middle name/initial isn't a big deal as long as the first and last match exactly. If your first name is Robert and the ticket says Bob, then you could have an issue. I don't think renewing your passport will solve the issue.

Usually the middle name/initial isn't a big deal as long as the first and last match exactly. If your first name is Robert and the ticket says Bob, then you could have an issue. I don't think renewing your passport will solve the issue.

Hate to be a naysayer here but we are just back from an international trip. My sister booked my moms flight using first middle last. Her passport has first maiden last.

She almost didn't get to board the United flight. A slightly different scenario than the middle initial deal, but after that I would not be cavalier about it... the fallout is just to much of a bummer if the little man behind the curtain decides to fall on his sword.

Sara

This happened to my now husband a few years ago. I booked an AI through travelocity and this mispelled his last name on all the documents. Last name Michels, and they spelled it Michaels. I called travlocity and had a lengthy discussion which did not resolve the issue with Delta.

It took just a little bit longer to board the airplane, and he provided his drivers license and explained the mishap. He was able to board and we had to explain again at customs. You could try to contact Delta and see if they will change it to your correct name. Hope this helps.

Thanks, what had me all worried was TSAs big scary thing where they say everything has to match EXACTLY. I had never considered it myself (I never put middle name on anything anymore unless it's required), until my travel partner made a big deal about how I might not be able to travel if the middle name stuff didn't match. I might try calling around a bit and get my name corrected as much as I can... I just didn't want to correct it with delta, correct it with the land tour, and then have the australian airlines we're using refuse to correct it and end up with no way to fix the problem (if it does exist). Any idea how strict austrlians are about middle name/middle initial?? :rolleyes:

IF you won't take my word for it you can read all these threads about middle names/initials.

You are really worrying for nothing.

It is NOT the same as having the wrong last name.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/SearchForums?q=middle+name+&scope=2&ff=10702&geo=1&returnTo=__2F__ShowForum__2D__g1__2D__i10702__2D__Air__5F__Travel__2E__html

Hate to be a naysayer here but we are just back from an international trip. My sister booked my moms flight using first middle last. Her passport has first maiden last.

She almost didn't get to board the United flight. A slightly different scenario than the middle initial deal, but after that I would not be cavalier about it... the fallout is just to much of a bummer if the little man behind the curtain decides to fall on his sword.

This is not a slightly different scenario. It is a completely different scenario. And yes, a scenario with two completely different middle names will cause a boatload of troubles which one may or may not get out of.

But not OP's situation. OP, my wife (who, like me, was never given a middle name) and I travel internationally a great deal, with documents mixed, sometimes having my wife's maiden name as her middle name, sometimes the first initial of her maiden name, and occasionally (but rarely) neither. Never a problem.

Well, advice here is worth what ya pay for it ; -)

If you think that middle name/middle initial is a big difference from middle name/maiden name, and never have any trouble I'm glad for you.

But it was a very uncomfortable 30 minutes for my mom while they straightened it out and the delay almost kept her off the flight.

And you can not count on policies being applied evenly. Individuals involved can be more of less helpful or difficult.

I, myself, would deal with it before the trip and avoid any possible delays.

Sara

I agree that the middle name/middle initial "problem" isn't really a problem, but if you'll feel better getting a new passport, get a new passport.

I used to work as a passport clerk and the name that went on the passport was the one that was on both the application and on the document provided to prove citizenship, e.g. birth certificate or previously-issued passport. So, if the application says "John Herbert Doe", then the birth certificate or previous passport has to say "John Herbert Doe".

As the holder of a valid U.S. passport, when you apply for a new passport, you have the option of submitting only your previous passport as your proof of citizenship. However, if you only submit your previous passport in the name of "John H. Doe" as your proof of citizenship, you are not going to get a new passport in the name of "John Herbert Doe". You are going to get another passport in the name of "John H. Doe". Thus, while you are going to have to submit your old passport for cancellation, you should also submit your birth certificate if you want your full middle name on the new passport and you should be sure to write your full middle name on the passport application.

You don't say exactly when you are traveling this year (2014) and when your passport expires in 2015. You don't say exactly every where you are traveling to, but you do mention Australia. Will you be traveling within the 6 month window prior to the passport expiring? If so, you may way want to renew it prior to the trip even if you won't run into issues with the middle name/middle initial issue. Some counties like to see 6 months validity on a passport.

Thanks for the info. The 6 month rule isn't an issue... there's about 9 months between the end of the trip and my passport expiring. I'm becoming less and less worried about the middle name/middle initial thing. I think I will just try calling the airlines and try to have my "TSA secure name" corrected with everything. I think the rest will be fine since I routinely don't use my middle name on boarding passes without a problem.

I think that plan is fine. If the middle initial on the passport if the first letter of your actual full last name, then you should be good. At some point, airline tickets I started to buy stopped having my middle name. My AA frequent flyer account had my full name and so did my travel profile with the travel agent I used for work. Tickets and boarding passes had my full name. So does my ID. But at some point, something changed. I started to just see my middle initial. It seems that was because when we switched to a new travel agency, my profile only had my middle initial. I tried to fix it, but it never "stuck". It would always revert back to my middle initial. Also, even when I book direct with AA for personal flights, I seem to just get first and last now. Even on my flight to London, it was really no big deal. Remember, the only people really checking boarding pass to ID is gonna be the TSA person at the airport. Once through, I don't think anyone is really matching anything. When you arrive at a border crossing at the airport, you just give passport. They don't need to see a boarding pass.

I agree that the middle name/middle initial "problem" isn't really a problem, but if you'll feel better getting a new passport, get a new passport.

I used to work as a passport clerk and the name that went on the passport was the one that was on both the application and on the document provided to prove citizenship, e.g. birth certificate or previously-issued passport. So, if the application says "John Herbert Doe", then the birth certificate or previous passport has to say "John Herbert Doe".

As the holder of a valid U.S. passport, when you apply for a new passport, you have the option of submitting only your previous passport as your proof of citizenship. However, if you only submit your previous passport in the name of "John H. Doe" as your proof of citizenship, you are not going to get a new passport in the name of "John Herbert Doe". You are going to get another passport in the name of "John H. Doe". Thus, while you are going to have to submit your old passport for cancellation, you should also submit your birth certificate if you want your full middle name on the new passport and you should be sure to write your full middle name on the passport application.

GREAT post.

Thank you for sharing the definite information with us.

It certainly makes sense.

Sara

the names didn't match so what did you expect? unless someone actually goes through having their named changed legally your maiden name doesn't automatically become your middle name. if mary jane doe marries long john smith her name can either remain mary jane doe or it becomes mary jane smith. it doesn't magically become mary doe smith.

Edited by Sherlock43031