Speciality Dining - Nothing available. Seriously?

JanineM

Just phoned Celebrity to book specialty dining for our upcoming cruise in a few weeks.

We have sailed many times on Celebrity and perhaps I've been oblivious or perhaps lucky ... but I was unable to book ANY specialty dining for our group of 6 in ANY restaurant for the entire sailing.

I was told that my options are to buy a dining package (no thanks), or to cross my fingers and phone for a reservation immediately once we board. But she told me that most of the bookings held back are for those who purchase dining packages (again, I don't want to buy a package - I want 2 nights, not 3 or 5) so chances are that we won't be able to get a reservation.

Celebrity's rep stated that they do a good job of advertising that you should reserve specialty dining well in advance, but I can tell you that:

a) no one - major TA or Celebrity rep - has told me that we can or should book specialty dining in advance. Has this really been in place for years and years (as she told me)?

b) No where on the website is it noted that you should book specialty dining in advance. Again, am I blind?

This won't ruin my cruise, but it will hurt X because I am now more likely to say "I will NOT eat in specialty dining." Period. And that's one of the few places where we spend extra money. I guess I should just be grateful that they're still putting cloths on the tables ...

Vent over.

Edited by JanineM

It is recommended to book in advance and we typically do so...and submit payment and if it is an included free perk, then it is credited back to our account once we dine.

BUT, I also book many times once we are on board...so your experience lately does surprise me.

I don't think the advance system takes reservations for 6. Try making two reservations at the same time for 2 to 4 and combine them once on board. Also try calling/emailing Captain's Club as advance reservations within 60 days of sailing date is a Captain's Club benefit for all prior Celebrity cruisers.

Otherwise just head for reservations as soon as you are on board. Usually not a problem although the shorter the cruise the higher the demand.

Edited by Lsimon

On our last 2 cruises, there have been half price offers on Specality Restaurants for the first night.

If you have a Suite booking you can dine free on 2 nights.

It sounds to me, that bookings are 'pencilled in' for Suite guests.

I don't think the advance system takes reservations for 6. Try making two reservations at the same time for 2 to 4 and combine them once on board. Also try calling/emailing Captain's Club as advance reservations within 60 days of sailing date is a Captain's Club benefit for all prior Celebrity cruisers.

Thanks Larry. Good advice. I just called Captain's Club and they told me I need to speak to the regular booking desk, so I'll just send an email. The rep did say that they only had availability for 2 at any time - so I think that means 4 is not available.

My frustration is that the bulk of tables seem to be pre-booked, and they don't communicate this well. I know that a previous poster said "it is recommended", but I don't ever recall seeing that "recommended", and certainly no one I spoke to recommended it ...

Just another reason to be sure we're first on the ship!

They usually hold back a number of tables and available reservations until the sailing date. My suggestion would be to go to the nearest restaurant as soon as you board and start looking for what restaurant and availability you want. All restaurants can be booked from any one of them. Just be first in line and you will likely be lucky to get what you want.

On our last 2 cruises, there have been half price offers on Specality Restaurants for the first night.

If you have a Suite booking you can dine free on 2 nights.

It sounds to me, that bookings are 'pencilled in' for Suite guests.

Sorry, but that is just not true. Suite guests do not have any advantage over those booked in other cabins when it comes to restaurant reservations. Unless perhaps you are booked in the Penthouse...

I have never had a problem booking a table. Usually the staff tries to get bookings when you board the ship. Often they offer discounts. If you cannot dine at a specialty restaurant, don't be upset. The MDR is excellent. I have dined at most of the specialty restaurants over the years. They are nice. Qsine is a fun time. Worth one visit. Are they worth an extra $45pp? Not really. If you have OBC , you might try them. The menus never change. On my last cruise(15 nights) I ate all dinners in the MDR. Food was excellent with lots of great choices.