Southwest Early Bird Check in

racnwdow

Delta is doing what you suggested it is called economy comfort, they sell the first 5 rows of economy with an extra 4in of legroom and boarding in zone 1 for extra money. It varies from $9 to $100 depending on the flight.

Mike

UA (Economy Plus), DL (Economy Comfort) and AA (Main Cabin Extra) are all doing it. You pay a bit more and know exactly what you are getting. Sometimes it's $40, sometimes more, sometimes less...but you know exactly what seat you are getting, unless something unexpected changes (which is the exception, not the rule).

AA, and I assume the others (sorry, I am most familiar with AA) also have "regular" seats that have an upcharge, such as windows and aisles towards the front. They don't have extra legroom, but also are not as expensive as the extra legroom seats. But again, you know what you are getting.

My point is that, with Southwest, you are spending the $40 and usually (since there are only a few extra legroom seats on the plane) getting nothing at all for it. Maybe a window or aisle towards the front, but even that isn't assured. Meanwhile, for the same $40 or less on other airlines (a bit more for longer or international flights), you can be assured to get either extra legroom or at least a seat that you are happy with.

That's why I consider it a scam. Harsh word, but I'll keep using it ;)

Edited by Zach1213

UA (Economy Plus), DL (Economy Comfort) and AA (Main Cabin Extra) are all doing it. You pay a bit more and know exactly what you are getting. Sometimes it's $40, sometimes more, sometimes less...but you know exactly what seat you are getting, unless something unexpected changes (which is the exception, not the rule).

AA, and I assume the others (sorry, I am most familiar with AA) also have "regular" seats that have an upcharge, such as windows and aisles towards the front. They don't have extra legroom, but also are not as expensive as the extra legroom seats. But again, you know what you are getting.

My point is that, with Southwest, you are spending the $40 and usually (since there are only a few extra legroom seats on the plane) getting nothing at all for it. Maybe a window or aisle towards the front, but even that isn't assured. Meanwhile, for the same $40 or less on other airlines (a bit more for longer or international flights), you can be assured to get either extra legroom or at least a seat that you are happy with.

That's why I consider it a scam. Harsh word, but I'll keep using it ;)

I'm at a UA hub city and fly them most of the time (prefer AA but having to connect through DFW gets old). UA sells an annual subscription to E+ seating (they have 3 levels domestic only, global and I can't remember the other one). I bought the domestic one and it is so nice knowing I have and exit row isle seat when I book my ticket.

We like SW. The pricing from our area is always good. No bag fee. As I stated before we ended up on our last two flights in A line without paying extra. Our friends who we were traveling with did pay the extra and we were in line ahead of them. :) Makes no sense to me.

We like SW. The pricing from our area is always good. No bag fee. As I stated before we ended up on our last two flights in A line without paying extra. Our friends who we were traveling with did pay the extra and we were in line ahead of them. :) Makes no sense to me.

SW is considering baggage fees at some time in the future. http://www.mybanktracker.com/news/streams/southwest-baggage-fees/

I am flying SW next week so I am not knocking them just saying.....

I do feel like I should MOO as I line up in the numbered boarding area. It is weird to have to do it and watch the people who cant figure out which way the arrow is pointing (LOL).

I live in a Airtran town that SW took over. I miss the assigned seats and the B717 layout that Airtran had but SW is what we get now. SW is not a whole lot less then DL or USAir here in Roch so i just take the cheapest and most convenient route whichever it is.

Mike

SW is considering baggage fees at some time in the future. http://www.mybanktracker.com/news/streams/southwest-baggage-fees/

I am flying SW next week so I am not knocking them just saying.....

I do feel like I should MOO as I line up in the numbered boarding area. It is weird to have to do it and watch the people who cant figure out which way the arrow is pointing (LOL).

I live in a Airtran town that SW took over. I miss the assigned seats and the B717 layout that Airtran had but SW is what we get now. SW is not a whole lot less then DL or USAir here in Roch so i just take the cheapest and most convenient route whichever it is.

Mike

Passengers at every airline, whether it's assigned seating or not, seem to be lining up earlier and earlier. At least Southwest's system keeps them largely out of the way of de-planing passengers.

Passengers at every airline, whether it's assigned seating or not, seem to be lining up earlier and earlier. At least Southwest's system keeps them largely out of the way of de-planing passengers.

That is where the GA's need to step up and take charge.

That is odd about TSA-PRE...we were selected for it on both flights in December. I also noticed we have TSA frequent traveler numbers on the airline website, even though we haven't signed up for the 5 year program, yet.

I certainly didn't complain. Once pre-check is more available, we will sign up for it.

Best wishes for the New Year! :D

~Patti :D

DDtheYounger has received TSA pre-check several times now. The guy said it was a random thing as the screen told him which way she should go.

This TSA pre-check is different than the Global Entry/Nexus/Sentry program. DDtheOlder has GE and just breezes thru CBP in LAX. Used not to be accepted if traveling overseas. I think that has recently changed.

DDtheYounger gets Early Check in. Last 24hour mark was during a final. Not a good time for a beep to sound.

There are two types of Pre-Chek passengers. Those who were invited into the program due to elite status membership in a FF program, and those who are randomly assigned it on random flights. I always have Pre-Chek as I was invited into the program "full time" if you will. My husband has it show up randomly in his boarding pass. Fortunately we both have CLEAR and I also have GOES (he has his interview later this month) so if one doesn't speed us through, another will.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

There are two types of Pre-Chek passengers. Those who were invited into the program due to elite status membership in a FF program, and those who are randomly assigned it on random flights. I always have Pre-Chek as I was invited into the program "full time" if you will. My husband has it show up randomly in his boarding pass. Fortunately we both have CLEAR and I also have GOES (he has his interview later this month) so if one doesn't speed us through, another will.

I see it as three types of Pre-Check passengers:

1) Those invited due to elite status

2) Random

3) Those who gained access via Global Entry, etc.

For example, I was invited in to Pre-Check from AA, but nobody else. However, when I got Global Entry, I had no problems using Pre-Check on United or Delta, despite having zero status with either. Likewise, someone could have no status with any airline whatsoever, but have Global Entry, and be able to use Pre-Check across the board because of that, not because of any invite from any airline.

I love Southwest. No baggage fees. No fee when changing ur flight only pay extra if the new flight is higher and a credit when flight goes down. Delta and AA charged me 200 to change since I didn't buy insurance. Now that's a scam! And they charge bag fees. With SW I can bring one on board and 2 (50lb & under) bags for free. All these other perks from airlines is either u fly all the time...have miles from credit cards...or join their club. I'm just a regular person that only fly once in awhile and SW is pretty good with their prices. I check in 24 hrs ahead and I always get an A group.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I see it as three types of Pre-Check passengers:

1) Those invited due to elite status

2) Random

3) Those who gained access via Global Entry, etc.

For example, I was invited in to Pre-Check from AA, but nobody else. However, when I got Global Entry, I had no problems using Pre-Check on United or Delta, despite having zero status with either. Likewise, someone could have no status with any airline whatsoever, but have Global Entry, and be able to use Pre-Check across the board because of that, not because of any invite from any airline.

Very true. Also those with CLEAR generally have the shortest line because you don't end up behind a "random" in the CLEAR lane like you do in Pre-Check.