missing first half of a b2b

gooch47

With all this bad weather, I find myself fretting about the possibility of missing the first half of our back to back out of NOLA this weekend.

I assume you would have to notify NCL (duh!) to make sure the second half wouldn't get cancelled, too.

I just checked the cost of a flight to Cozumel and it would be almost $1000 each. Not sure we'd want to pay that. Insurance, if I read NCL's website right would cover about half of that. That doesn't even add in hotel and meals.

With all this bad weather, I find myself fretting about the possibility of missing the first half of our back to back out of NOLA this weekend.

I assume you would have to notify NCL (duh!) to make sure the second half wouldn't get cancelled, too.

I just checked the cost of a flight to Cozumel and it would be almost $1000 each. Not sure we'd want to pay that. Insurance, if I read NCL's website right would cover about half of that. That doesn't even add in hotel and meals.

I'd get on the phone with the airline. Mock booking a flight will not tell you what the airline might be able to do. They may be able to re-book you without some of the high last minute fare fees......

Yeah, I'm not seeing $1,000 either. Let's say you can't make Jewel's Sunday sailing, then you can get to Coz on Monday, Tues., Wed., etc. for $336+ one-way on Delta and United (from CMH).

Did you buy your air through NCL? If you can't get into NOLA on time, they'll have to step up and get you re-routed to Coz (assuming that's your first port).

If you didn't buy your air through NCL, I think you're right, the $500 trip delay coverage is all you'll see. But you may want to call today to confirm (and also clarify that it would, in fact, extend to any add'l air fare you'd incur).

It is tough to successfully navigate the airline mess caused by winter storms. We just went through that in Texas of all places with a freak ice storm. You may end up spending a lot of time at the airport! Be sure to load your smart device with your airline's app, at least one other travel app like Kayak so you can do searches for replacement flights on the go, the FAAwait app, My TSA and FlightAware or a similar tracker. The more info you have, the better off you'll be--we were able to learn of and react to developments faster than others, land a higher spot on a standby list than others who first learned the news much later from the gate agents, etc. And if you could possibly pack light (for a B2B???!!), you will be a lot better off not checking luggage. You will have more flexibility jumping on a flight that is actually going out vs. the one sitting at your gate not leaving. And you won't find yourself in the position of some cruisers we met while sitting at the airport for hours waiting on a flight to go out...when we finally boarded a flight from our home city to the connecting hub (where we would meet our second and final flight to the cruise embarkation city), but before the plane door had been closed for takeoff, the fellow cruisers learned on their smart phone that their next flight to the cruise port had been cancelled and there were no other options for getting out of that hub that day. But since they checked luggage and it was already loaded on the plane, they were unable to deboard (and either try a different flight routing or go home and start fresh the next day) because their luggage was checked and going to the hub. Bummer!

Good luck. And just think: No matter what happens the next few days, this time next week, you will be fully de-frazzled by Jewel pampering and sunny hot days on the beach sipping tropical drinks! :cool:

Things in Missouri aren't too bad. South of MO isn't bad at all. If you were planning to fly, and will miss the ship based on that, maybe you can start driving very shortly? We don't know where in OH you are starting, but maybe a drive this afternoon from where you are to STL or Memphis, and fly from there? Or another location south? Even if you have to rent a car one way, and pay the drop off fee, that might get you to your ship.

Thanks, everyone.

I'm not terribly worried about getting to st. Louis. It is the darn 35 minute layover there that has me freaked out.

I could have sworn I did the mock reservation right, but I'll look again.

We booked our own air. And going in a day early, too. We always do that.

I'm just having an irrational hissy fit over the possibility of missing a vacation we are really looking forward to.

Thank you all.

I have developed this irrational fear of missing the ship. It gets worse every time. I wouldn't even consider not cruising. My husband loves it so much and once I get there, so do I.

He has offered to start going to the port several days early, bless his heart. He tolerates my stupidity, thank heavens.

I think when we return from this trip I'm going to see what my doctor says about it.

Edited by gooch47

Close call.

Our flight to St. Louis was delayed past the time for our connection.

I knew there was an earlier flight thru Nashville and we arrived at the airport just in time to get reassigned. But we only had a 40 minute layover in Nashville and they left the gate 20 minutes late then took another 20 minutes to de-ice the plane.

Had the flight from nashville to NOLA not been delayed we would have missed it.

Thank you all.

I have developed this irrational fear of missing the ship. It gets worse every time. I wouldn't even consider not cruising. My husband loves it so much and once I get there, so do I.

He has offered to start going to the port several days early, bless his heart. He tolerates my stupidity, thank heavens.

I think when we return from this trip I'm going to see what my doctor says about it.

If it will save you a Dr. visit.....

I actually start checking the weather weeks before our flight.

Due to a multitude of reasons, we have to fly in the day of the cruise, if you can go a day or two early do it! I do book non-stop flights.

Sailing in 3 weeks - I am totally obsessed with getting to MIA and on the ship.

Wish I could move to Florida! :D

Close call.

Our flight to St. Louis was delayed past the time for our connection.

I knew there was an earlier flight thru Nashville and we arrived at the airport just in time to get reassigned. But we only had a 40 minute layover in Nashville and they left the gate 20 minutes late then took another 20 minutes to de-ice the plane.

Had the flight from nashville to NOLA not been delayed we would have missed it.

Glad it worked out for you! Enjoy the cruise!