Carnival vs Princess - Hawaii RT from California

LMaxwell

Starting to consider a 15 or 16 day round trip cruise from California to Hawaii. I know Carnival runs this route; also know it is a popular route for Princess. If anyone has sailed either please let me know your opinions, links to photos or reviews, etc. What class of ship is the Miracle and how does it compare to the Princess Grand Class ships? Itinerary; one of the other? Does Carnival have cultural enrichment speakers and presentations like Princess does?

Looking for anyone and everyone's two cents (so I can pay for this...)

Here is a recent Miracle review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1950221&highlight=hawaii

The Miracle is a Spirit class ship. This class is a favorite for most Carnival cruisers.

Have sailed on the Carnival Spirit and the Golden Princess and found Spirit deckplan easier to navigate, YMMV. I haven't cruised to Hawaii.

Many sail Princess specifically for Elua.

When we were on the Golden we were able to check out the different cabins. The IS/OV and regular balcony cabins are smaller than on the Spirit. The balconies do not have a sofa.

The closet set up is nice but the shower (with a curtain) is punier than on the Spirit. Choose your balcony carefully on Princess. Some are completly covered, half-covered or completely exposed to the elements.

The suites are very nice and you get some perks.

Food is subjective. No hot chocolate dispensers on Princess. The lobster came with a type of tartar sauce, not melted butter.

Edited by SadieN

Starting to consider a 15 or 16 day round trip cruise from California to Hawaii. I know Carnival runs this route; also know it is a popular route for Princess. If anyone has sailed either please let me know your opinions, links to photos or reviews, etc. What class of ship is the Miracle and how does it compare to the Princess Grand Class ships? Itinerary; one of the other? Does Carnival have cultural enrichment speakers and presentations like Princess does?

I sailed the Hawaiian itinerary on the Sapphire Princess last March. We love the Grand Class design and enjoyed the trip. We have cruised on the Miracle and Spirit and they are our favorite Carnival Ships. For the 2 week cruise I would sail on the Grand Class design. I find them as easy to navigate as the Spirit Class. I also like the the swim against the current pool in the Lotus Spa area. For a 2 week trip I think they would be better. Their naturalist on board was wonderful.

That being said we are booked on the Miracle for a 7 day MR cruise in February.

We sailed the Carnival Spirit from Honolulu to Ensenada (13 days, 1 Way). It was a fabulous class of ship and we had a great time. With a double crossing itinerary I think that I would pick the ship that has more indoor amenities of your liking, as 3 of the days in each direction will be quite cool on open decks. Have a great time.....a couple of suggestions,,,,Honolulu find Lanikai Beach and of course Pearl Harbor....Maui....do the road to hana.....Hilo.....Volcano's at National park

We cruised in November, San Francisco to Hawaii on the Grand Princess. No complaints--it was a wonderful trip if you enjoy sea days. We also cruised on the Miracle - Seattle to Alaska and enjoyed the ship as well. What we like best about Princess is that there's no smoking allowed on balconies. We enjoyed our balcony - smoke free. We also lucked out on the Miracle - none of our neighbors smoked either. On the Miracle, there was a naturalist onboard who commented on the the scenery and wildlife. It was a woman speaking and she had a voice that was easy to listen to. The man speaking on the Grand was very knowledgeable about world history. DH really enjoyed his lectures. I watched some of it on TV. Also, there were very few children on the Grand, and the ones that were on board were well behaved. More children were on the Miracle - we prefer less children on board.

We would cruise on either ship again - but more likely on Princess until Carnival changes its smoking policy on balconies.

I have sailed on the golden princess to hawaii and back. The fresh water heated by the way pools were awesome. There were a lot of island geared activities like lei making hula lessons ukelele lessons. They had several different speakers that spoke about hawaii. There was live hawaiin music throughout the cruise. I have cruised on both the pride and the spirit several times. But not to hawaii so I dont know how their hawaiin experience on the ship is. Six of the sea days are cold though so I would choose princess for their numerous activites and their enclosed heated pool area.

We did the Miracle this past fall.

The naturalist on our Hawaii cruise was the same as on both our past Alaskan cruises.

(Once on the Spirit and Once on the Miracle. I think her name was Michelle.)

There was also Bobbi, who was very sweet and did crafts twice a day.

We did have some not so great weather on a few of our days BUT

all that did is make it so the serenity deck was cleared many times...

Leaving it open for those who thought to bring a Sweater or Jacket to enjoy a hammock.

People from the "warmer" states ran for the inside with every breeze or rain drop :eek::D

This was my most relaxed cruise ever, Grab your sweater, your book and head for the serenity deck if you see a cloud form ;)

Oh and the only way you get that once in a life time shot of the rainbow fully engulfing your ship...

Comes with rain, so don't forget your camera either :cool:

I sailed CCL Spirit 15 day Hawaii in April 2012. I loved the cruise, but if I were to do it again, I think I would try Princess. I'm not sure if Princess would give me what I thought was lacking on CCL....I have yet to try that line, but I will tell you that if you aren't content with just plain old relaxation on those sea days, Carnival (at least back in 2012) did not offer much to do.

They also lack in the 'plan B' area, meaning when shows were canceleld due to rough seas (which is pretty much a given sailing across the pacific and they should know better) there was nothing to replace it.

Musical entertainment on this sailing was pretty much lame.

I think CCL is striving or at least it seems that they are looking into enhancing their entertainment, so this may not be an issue any more, but I would also ask your question on the Princess boards if you haven't already, to see what Princess cruisers have to say.

I don't know your age, but this itinerary draws an older crowd with little age diversity and I think on Princess this may be even more an issue. My dh and I are in our early 50's and the CCL cruise had many our age. I spoke to the videographer from the Princess ship that was in Hawaii the same time we were, and he said the average age was 70...then again he was very young and anyone over 35 may have looked 70 to him. :p

here is my review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1624916

Edited by halos

I sailed CCL Spirit 15 day Hawaii in April 2012. I loved the cruise, but if I were to do it again, I think I would try Princess. I'm not sure if Princess would give me what I thought was lacking on CCL....I have yet to try that line, but I will tell you that if you aren't content with just plain old relaxation on those sea days, Carnival (at least back in 2012) did not offer much to do.

They also lack in the 'plan B' area, meaning when shows were canceleld due to rough seas (which is pretty much a given sailing across the pacific and they should know better) there was nothing to replace it.

Musical entertainment on this sailing was pretty much lame.

I think CCL is striving or at least it seems that they are looking into enhancing their entertainment, so this may not be an issue any more, but I would also ask your question on the Princess boards if you haven't already, to see what Princess cruisers have to say.

I don't know your age, but this itinerary draws an older crowd with little age diversity and I think on Princess this may be even more an issue. My dh and I are in our early 50's and the CCL cruise had many our age. I spoke to the videographer from the Princess ship that was in Hawaii the same time we were, and he said the average age was 70...then again he was very young and anyone over 35 may have looked 70 to him. :p

here is my review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1624916

Doing our first Princess a TA end of April and like what I am hearing about Princess. Seems like it is built for travelers wanting to see the world and less the DOD crowd.

We will be wanting to do our first Hawaii run in about two years and if what I think happens will not be with Carnival, unless of course they really do improve their entertainment.