Question about mailing postcards

Terre

I have a friend who will be taking her first cruise on the Zuiderdam next year and wanted to know if there is somewhere on the ship you can mail letters/post cards. Having never sailed on HAL ships, I couldn't answer her.

Does anyone know?

Thanks.:D

you can take your mail to the front desk and buy stamps for the next port you will visit, they will then be mailed when your ship reaches port. :cool:

PS. usually mail from anything other than US ports takes a while, you are usually back in country before the mail arrives :cool:

As a general rule, a representative of the port agent is one of the last people off of the ship before leaving port. That person picks up the outgoing mail from the front desk on his way out. So postcards purchased in a port can be filled out and mailed from the front desk up to about an hour or less before sailaway and still get postmarked from that port.

On the Prinsendam 2005 world Tour, while on St. Helena, UK, we heard announcements on the local radio station for anyone wishing to get something in the mail, hurry down to the post office and it would go out that day. All mail from St. Helena goes first to Ascension Island by boat, about twice a month. Since the Prinsendam's next stop was Ascension Island, and our stop there was about halfway between scheduled mail runs, she became a mailboat for that 2 day trip.

Grumpy

Thanks, everyone...as usual, I got the info I needed. I've passed this along to my friend and she was very impressed with how everyone answered my question so quickly!

:D

If your friend has the proper stamps (may have purchased them ashore or whatever), there is a mail slot right beside the front office. They can simply drop in in the slot.

I sent PCs from the ship once to family in the UK, they never did receive them. Whether the front desk didn`t buy the stamps as promised or not I couldn`t say. Now if I post any cards, I mail them in STT or PR if we are going there.........jean :cool:

I sent PCs from the ship once to family in the UK, they never did receive them. Whether the front desk didn`t buy the stamps as promised or not I couldn`t say. Now if I post any cards, I mail them in STT or PR if we are going there.........jean :cool:

Whenever I am mailing something from the ship when we are out of the U.S. and cannot use American postage, I always purchase the correct stamps from the front office girls. They have supplies of stamps for various countries. I tell them what I want and they sell the stamps to me. I lick 'em, :) stick 'em on the envelope (postcard) :), deposit the mail in the slot and that is that.

It can take a while to arrive, but everything we have posted has eventually been received.

Archived