Travel Aide / Companion Available

Kazzygirl

I have travelled the world extensively often on my own and have found so many people say this will be there last holiday / cruise as they can no longer mange to travel alone wether it be due to age or mobility or loosing a spouse. I thought of the old fashioned " ladies companion " who gave company and assistance in exchange for paid travel expenses. Is there I need out there for this service ?:confused:

I have travelled the world extensively often on my own and have found so many people say this will be there last holiday / cruise as they can no longer mange to travel alone wether it be due to age or mobility or loosing a spouse. I thought of the old fashioned " ladies companion " who gave company and assistance in exchange for paid travel expenses. Is there I need out there for this service ?:confused:

I said this to my DH years ago. He said nice try!! He also said that THAT job already has a title!:eek::D:D

There probably would be but one would have to be very careful on both sides of such an arrangement. Guess if you heard someone say that, you could "volunteer". Would depend so very much on personalities and such.

I am sure there is a 'market' for reliable, trustworthy, capable travel assistant but the matching of proper client with companion could be very difficult given the ways of today's world.

It's too bad as it could be a wonderful arrangement if the parties could be brought together in a way both could trust.

Personally I think that there might be a growing market for this type of service. The baby boomers are getting older, and many will be widowed long before they are ready to give up traveling. Single supplements are generally 100%, so the cost of bringing along a companion who can be of assistance with a steady hand getting in and out if the tub/shower, help with dressing, carrying bags, or pushing a wheelchair would be limited to airfare and gratuities.

If I were a senior traveling alone I might consider it, if for no other reason the security of having a younger person along while in ports. I would however want them to be vetted with a background check, references, and possibly some sort of insuperable, and would want a contract spelling out their role and responsibilities and what expenses were and were not covered in the agreement.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

A little different take on the subject. I was on a cruise on Crystal Cruise ship and they provided gentlemen whose sole responsibility was to be a dance partner for the lady's. These gentlemen seemed very "Refined" and "Gentlemanly". Wouldn't THAT be a great job to have.

A little different take on the subject. I was on a cruise on Crystal Cruise ship and they provided gentlemen whose sole responsibility was to be a dance partner for the lady's. These gentlemen seemed very "Refined" and "Gentlemanly". Wouldn't THAT be a great job to have.

You are correct - Crystal is one of several cruise lines that provide dance hosts for unaccompanied ladies. They are staff paid by the cruise lines - not the passengers directly - and provide social gathering companionship. The OP's question is one of merit, but the full travelling companion implication that would be paid for by the passenger directly is not likely something that would be sponsored by the cruise lines IMO. Royal Cruise Line (no longer in business and not to be confused with RCI) tried a similar program in the '80's which has evolved into the dance host program you reference on the current lines that offer it.

The dance hosts aren't actually paid by the cruise lines. They actually pay a nominal cruise fare, and must adhere to a very strict code of conduct. They also must be proficient in a dozen or so dances and have their own tuxes. Out of curiosity I googled it once and found a very interesting read about the program.

Gentlemen Dance Hosts used to be very usual on HAL ships but through the years, they have disappeared. Perhaps World Cruise or Grand Voyages may still have a few.

We used to see them on 10, 11 and 14 day cruises.

There was a movie filmed on the 'Old' Westerdam with Walter Matthau, Jack Lemmon and Rue McClanahan (sp ?) called Out to Sea with the theme of cruise ship dance hosts. It was fun to watch.

Edited by sail7seas

The dance hosts aren't actually paid by the cruise lines. They actually pay a nominal cruise fare, and must adhere to a very strict code of conduct. They also must be proficient in a dozen or so dances and have their own tuxes. Out of curiosity I googled it once and found a very interesting read about the program.

Thanks for the correction - I mistakenly thought they were independent, but paid staff.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Kazzygirl, while I'm sure that there is a need for such services, out there in the cruising world, I'm not sure how you would go about getting such a job. Perhaps there is a "help wanted/services available" section in some of the more popular cruise/leisure/travel publications?

However, please be aware that advertising any services here on CC is a no-no. Direct from the CC Community Guidelines (which Laura S recently urged us to all re-familiarize ourselves with):

Advertising Is Not Allowed

Cruise Critic has strict guidelines prohibiting blatant advertising, commercial sales and solicitation posts on all of our message boards.

Our Cruise Boards are meant to be a cruiser's exchange of advice and tips where cruisers can talk about their travels -- not a marketplace for advertising and selling services. There are thousands of cruise professionals online and if we didn't insist on a non-solicitation policy the cruise boards would be very quickly overrun with nothing but ads.

Thanks for the correction - I mistakenly thought they were independent, but paid staff.

No worries. :). I think one of them actually wrote a book about his experiences, that might be what I'll put on my iPad for my next cruise read. :)

...............SNIP........................

There was a movie filmed on the 'Old' Westerdam with Walter Matthau, Jack Lemmon and Rue McClanahan (sp ?) called Out to Sea with the theme of cruise ship dance hosts. It was fun to watch.

There was a great line in that movie where Matthau tells Dyan Cannon "Your a$$ is so beautiful it's a shame you have to sit on it!"

I would think anyone who needed a companion for dressing, etc would already have someone that they used at home. In the old days, she would have been called a "Lady's Maid". My mother-in-law traveled a lot when she was elderly and just went with another elderly friend. They helped each other. :)

I would think anyone who needed a companion for dressing, etc would already have someone that they used at home. In the old days, she would have been called a "Lady's Maid". My mother-in-law traveled a lot when she was elderly and just went with another elderly friend. They helped each other. :)

My mother is able to shower and dress herself at home, but has balance problems and would need a hand on a ship. She also could not manage any bag larger than a small handbag. She could never manage the distance between her cabin and the dining room or activities on a ship without a wheelchair, but does fine in her small apartment. Just getting to the ship would be a challenge. She would need assistance on shore excursions--she is fine in her day-to-day living, but can get confused when she is out of her element. She has no desire to travel, but if she did, using a companion service might be ideal.

Most people who have aides at home only have them a few hours a day, and that person most likely would not be able to travel--if the agency that they came from would even allow it. My son's girlfriend worked as a health aide while putting herself through nursing school, so even though she wasn't tied down to a family, she still had other obligations and had very limited ability to travel.

Not all elderly people have someone who has interest in or the financial ability to travel with a friend. In some cases, their friends might have infirmaries that prevent travel, or still have a living spouse, or have any number of other reasons that make travel difficult if not impossible.

While I agree that having a friend to travel with would be the ideal situation, unfortunately it might not always be an available option.

My mother is able to shower and dress herself at home, but has balance problems and would need a hand on a ship. She also could not manage any bag larger than a small handbag. She could never manage the distance between her cabin and the dining room or activities on a ship without a wheelchair, but does fine in her small apartment. Just getting to the ship would be a challenge. She would need assistance on shore excursions--she is fine in her day-to-day living, but can get confused when she is out of her element. She has no desire to travel, but if she did, using a companion service might be ideal.

Most people who have aides at home only have them a few hours a day, and that person most likely would not be able to travel--if the agency that they came from would even allow it. My son's girlfriend worked as a health aide while putting herself through nursing school, so even though she wasn't tied down to a family, she still had other obligations and had very limited ability to travel.

Not all elderly people have someone who has interest in or the financial ability to travel with a friend. In some cases, their friends might have infirmaries that prevent travel, or still have a living spouse, or have any number of other reasons that make travel difficult if not impossible.

While I agree that having a friend to travel with would be the ideal situation, unfortunately it might not always be an available option.

Excellent post.

Very well said.

Some people have methods for managing relatively independently at home but would not be able to travel alone.

Not everyone has family with whom they can travel or friends with the means or interest to travel.

A paid assistant could be wonderful if a good, safe match could be made but that is hard to accomplish. So many possible risks.

Let's say I am in a wheelchair, and hired the OP to be my travel aid. Let's say we both live in a city that is a cruise port, and I don't have to pay airline tickets, checked suitcase - only the taxi fare from her house to my house.

I don't just pay for the cabin - at least tips for both will be added. Also, who pays trip insurance? What if the helper gets sick?

Now, do I go off shore? Do I join a wheelchair tour and pay for both? Or do I stay in the wheelchair expected to be pushed around the dock looking for souvenirs?

If I stay on the ship, I would expect the aid to be with me to take me to lunch, daytime movies, activities... Will my aid have a day off?

Conclusion: I'd love to have a paid aid if I'll be able to afford it, but hell no to working as one :)

Excellent post.

Very well said.

Some people have methods for managing relatively independently at home but would not be able to travel alone.

Not everyone has family with whom they can travel or friends with the means or interest to travel.

A paid assistant could be wonderful if a good, safe match could be made but that is hard to accomplish. So many possible risks.

I think it would be relatively easy to make matches. Checked personal references on both sides and a criminal background check for the companion would be requirements. A match up of personal habits such as smoking, drinking, sleeping habits (TV on when falling asleep? Early riser? Late riser? etc.), and a conference call between the agency, traveler, and companion to discuss all of the above as well as the expectations of both parties--will the caregiver/companion have free time each day or will they be expected to be with the traveler at all times? Is the companion expected to assist with bathing and/or toileting and/or dressing? If so, to what extent? Is the companion trained and experienced in assisting if required? Is the companion being expected to cover all of their incidentals, or will there be an allowance for them? Will the traveler be covering the companions shore excursions or alternate dining costs and under what circumstances? What types of interests do they each have as far as shore excursions, on board lectures, etc., and are they compatible?

I think the biggest risk comes with not having a frank conversation in advance that sets expectations of both parties in place and makes sure that the two parties are compatible.

I think it would be relatively easy to make matches. Checked personal references on both sides and a criminal background check for the companion would be requirements. A match up of personal habits such as smoking, drinking, sleeping habits (TV on when falling asleep? Early riser? Late riser? etc.), and a conference call between the agency, traveler, and companion to discuss all of the above as well as the expectations of both parties--will the caregiver/companion have free time each day or will they be expected to be with the traveler at all times? Is the companion expected to assist with bathing and/or toileting and/or dressing? If so, to what extent? Is the companion trained and experienced in assisting if required? Is the companion being expected to cover all of their incidentals, or will there be an allowance for them? Will the traveler be covering the companions shore excursions or alternate dining costs and under what circumstances? What types of interests do they each have as far as shore excursions, on board lectures, etc., and are they compatible?

I think the biggest risk comes with not having a frank conversation in advance that sets expectations of both parties in place and makes sure that the two parties are compatible.

All of this is excellent way to proceed but the most pertinent you mention, IMO, is 'AGENCY'. If there is a business entity who vets their workers and a client can go through an agency, that is the best. To make a personal connection privately presents higher risk.

Personal habits and expectations have to be clearly spelled out. A written contract between the parties should be as all inclusive as possible. All monetary considerations need to be clearly stated as well as private time for the companion/port time on their own. The more communication in advance, the better chance of it working out well.

Let's say I am in a wheelchair, and hired the OP to be my travel aid. Let's say we both live in a city that is a cruise port, and I don't have to pay airline tickets, checked suitcase - only the taxi fare from her house to my house.

I don't just pay for the cabin - at least tips for both will be added. Also, who pays trip insurance? What if the helper gets sick?

Now, do I go off shore? Do I join a wheelchair tour and pay for both? Or do I stay in the wheelchair expected to be pushed around the dock looking for souvenirs?

If I stay on the ship, I would expect the aid to be with me to take me to lunch, daytime movies, activities... Will my aid have a day off?

Conclusion: I'd love to have a paid aid if I'll be able to afford it, but hell no to working as one :)

These are all things that would be discussed in advance. I think that the compensation would depend in the level of assistance needed and could range from cruise fare including tips and insurance to all that plus a stipend.

I see this as a great way for someone who is either younger who is comfortable around people of all ages to get fantastic vacations they could never afford otherwise, or someone who is an active retiree to get trips to places they might not visit otherwise for whatever reason.

I know that when I was in my early 20's, I couldn't afford to travel, and would have jumped at the opportunity to be a companion to an older person who perhaps needed a helping hand here and there in exchange for the ability to get a mostly paid for vacation--even if it was to a place that might not have been my first choice. I learned long ago to have an open mind, and that often the places I expect to love are the places I am meh on once I get there, and the places I don't expect to care for are the ones I leave a bit of my heart to.

All of this is excellent way to proceed but the most pertinent you mention, IMO, is 'AGENCY'. If there is a business entity who vets their workers and a client can go through an agency, that is the best. To make a personal connection privately presents higher risk.

Personal habits and expectations have to be clearly spelled out. A written contract between the parties should be as all inclusive as possible. All monetary considerations need to be clearly stated as well as private time for the companion/port time on their own. The more communication in advance, the better chance of it working out well.

Absolutely. Unless the companion is someone "known" to the traveler (ie a beloved niece or nephew or the young adult who grew up a few doors down who they have known since they were six years old or something along those lines), I think that finding someone through an agency is the way to go.

My neighbors young adult daughter took a cruise with her widowed step-grandmother a couple years ago. The grandmother paid her air fare, cruise fare, tips, and shore excursions, but the granddaughter was expected to cover anything like a spa treatment, gambling money, alcohol, etc. She said it wasn't necessarily the vacation she would have planned and taken with friends, but she had a great time and would do it again because the price was definitely right. The grandmother is quite able both physically and mentally, she just didn't care to travel alone and none of her friends were able to take the trip with her.

These are all things that would be discussed in advance. I think that the compensation would depend in the level of assistance needed and could range from cruise fare including tips and insurance to all that plus a stipend.

I see this as a great way for someone who is either younger who is comfortable around people of all ages to get fantastic vacations they could never afford otherwise, or someone who is an active retiree to get trips to places they might not visit otherwise for whatever reason.

I know that when I was in my early 20's, I couldn't afford to travel, and would have jumped at the opportunity to be a companion to an older person who perhaps needed a helping hand here and there in exchange for the ability to get a mostly paid for vacation--even if it was to a place that might not have been my first choice. I learned long ago to have an open mind, and that often the places I expect to love are the places I am meh on once I get there, and the places I don't expect to care for are the ones I leave a bit of my heart to.

If I ever needed a paid travel companion/assistant, I want YOU !! :)

You have a sensible head and great attitude. I know I like you a lot. :o

It seriously depents on how you view the market and what you are willing to offer and not. I've found most people think of it as a "free vacation, oh yeah, I'll be social and perhaps hold a plate of food once in a while". Well....... let's face it; even if someone were to pay someone elses fare having little other need but companionship and a very occational helping hand, most will find a loved one, friend or alike willing to go.

I've got folks lining up thinking they are willing to come along with me, woohoo party! I'm in the market. Still need to get my paperwork in order with gouvernment/healthcare system, but after that's done I will get my needed care covered and will be booking a second stateroom on cruises already booked for healthcare provider found. Whether I need said care at home or on vacation, does not matter. Once coming to a point where companion is needed to travel, we can even get travel expenses 100% covered for employee. Nice and peachy. And obviously this system does come with rules and stipulations to abide by. However, most people forget to see the other side of the paid for cruise. Like being on call 24/7. Like me dictating the agenda, which does include getting of the ship or not, what gets done in port or not, their working hours based upon my needs and not their wants.

My predictable, as politically correct called, "contact hours" is pretty limited. Yet, the facts are also there that at any moment my needs can drastically alter and could in the blink of an eye change to needing double, triple or more. Oops. It means those deciding to take on the job, depending on which travel scheduled, will miss spending the holidays with loved ones, with a 2014 holiday cruise scheduled. Their tours obviously will be paid for, but could also be something I love and they hate but comes as part of the job. Or they miss because just in something happens resulting in me leaving and needing assistance elsewhere. It is a job on a perhaps nicer location, but a job and not a vacation.

Looking at it from a pure working situation, it's not a bad deal. Pretty sweet deal compared to standard on-call duties. Dutch labour laws are pretty much a good deal for employees when looking at issues like wages, secundairy stuff, vacation pay and days, training, social security etc. But, it is work. Not a free vacation in exchange for some bones thrown my way. When that gets obvious the lines get very very short for those still willing. From that moment, let's just suffice to say not everybody will survive my standard for employees and not everybody gets hired just because they would want the job.

I'm not the only one. Many will travel with a hired carer. But, I'm in a very luxery position of being able to get many of those extra costs covered. I already have a certain level of "pickyness" when it comes to who gets past applyign for the job. I can totally imagine those that have to foot the bill out of their own pockets will only have even higher standard and higher demands. My situation comes with the luxery of labour laws protecting the rights of the individual(s) I contract, but I've seen many situations where using the word abuse is putting it mildly when talking about how a carer gets treated.

I see lots of folks dreaming and there's nothing wrong with dreaming. Just be aware of why something is a dream and that this is definately one of those things where reality does not fit the dream but does come with serious differences. For those that like the job, are capable and see the benefit of added vacation moments when not working; go for it! For those looking for a free vacation; buyer be aware, be very very aware. Not just for yourself, but also for the person you are committing to.