Oceana Cruise E420 to the Canary Islands

Cruise_lover11

Hi everyone,

I am just looking for everyone's opinions of Oceana and if you would recommend a cruise on her, as we are considering the cruise above in July. We have previously been with P&O Azura, Ventura and Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas, therefore I would be interested to know how a mid-sized ship compares to a larger ship. Do you feel a lot more movement etc?

I have looked up reviews and they seem to be mixed.

We are looking at balcony cabins and at the moment we are looking at deck B. Any recommendations on which deck is best would be appreciated. Also experience from anyone that has stayed in a balcony cabin on Oceana.

Thank you :)

That's good to hear, we would definitely like to try a different ship. Did you notice it being less crowded with queues etc as this would be ideal after the busier ships :)

Most definitely, Tiffany's still gets busy but is a lovely place to sit in the evening.

We've sailed on her to the Med in a balcony cabin which was very spacious. She has a lovely atrium and a good layout. I feel movement on any ship but we experienced a force 9 in the BOB on this one and she handled it well.

If you are worried about seasickness, go for midships and as low down as you can get. Having a balcony is great if you are feeling a bit green as you can get some fresh air any time you need it.

Definitely shorter and fewer queues on Oceana compared with Azura. I love the mid sized ships. They're big enough to take rough seas but small enough to feel a comfortable level of personal service.

We prefer to lunch in the buffet restaurant as we only have a light lunch of salad, soup or rolls etc and could not manage a dinner then the 3 course later as some people do. We found Ventura the worst for getting a table especially at breakfast so we don't tend to enter the buffet restaurant for breakfast as it's too manic for us.

Definitely shorter and fewer queues on Oceana compared with Azura. I love the mid sized ships. They're big enough to take rough seas but small enough to feel a comfortable level of personal service.

In context, Oceana at 77K tonnes is slightly bigger than the QE2 was, and only 3K tonnes short of the original Queen Mary. A couple of decades ago she would have been described as a very large ship.

Oceana has a much more relaxed feel than the larger ships, and queues are shorter. This is particularly true of tendering operations, where the limiting factor is often not the number of launches the ship can muster but the number the port quay can handle. Light breakfasts and lunches in the atrium restaurant are a pleasant alternative to the MDR of buffet, there are no equivalents on Ventura or Azura.

Edited by Denarius